Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ARIN down to 1.00 /8 - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ARIN down to 1.00 /8

Comments

• SkylarMSkylarM Member

@GoodHosting said:
    Why does AFRINIC have more IPs left than ARIN?

Please advise why AFRINIC needs these IPs?

It wouldn't surprise me if you start to see pushes to access these resources from other RIR's. As far as if it would work who knows.

• @Magiobiwan said:
    Because IANA delegated those IPs to AFRINIC and eventually AFRINIC will need them. Reclaiming AFRINIC's IPs won't help solve the REAL problem, which is that THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH IPv4 ADDRESSES. The only solution to that problem will be IPv6, and that's not going to come soon enough...

Realistically, we all know IPv6 won't happen for another five years at the least. Consumers will not like the "You need to buy all new hardware and software, and you can't use Windows XP anymore." Internet Service Providers [including the big five in the US, and the big three in Canada] are all currently using the "When someone else does, we will." excuse.

It's simply not going to happen, so we have to hold out as long as we can.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2014

Reclaiming AFRINIC's IPs won't help solve the REAL problem

Interesting use of the word "reclaiming" reminds me of the US's military operation to "reclaim the Iraq oil".

GoodHosting said: Why does AFRINIC have more IPs left than ARIN?

Please advise why AFRINIC needs these IPs?

We're trapped together on an uninhabited island and have decided to split whatever little food and water we had in halves. I swiftly ate and drank all of mine, you decided to hold off for a while and save yours for later. Now, why do you have more food and water left than me? Please advise why you need all of that?

Thanked by 2asterisk14 chrisp
  • @GoodHosting said:
    Realistically, we all know IPv6 won't happen for another five years at the least [...] It's simply not going to happen, so we have to hold out as long as we can.

What's left as "free" with the RIRs is literally a drop in the bucket. Re-allocating would do nothing meaningful. There is a lot of IPv4 "available", it's just assigned to organizations hoarding it.

Sadly, the RIRs are not conservation organizations, they are administrative organizations. IPv4 run-out doesn't affect their operations, other than they start handing out IPv6 only (worthless or not).

• SkylarMSkylarM Member

Add 104.40.0.0-104.47.255.255

And Microsoft just got a /13.

Fairwell IPv4.

• AmfyAmfy Member

Another day and RIPE will have more IPs than ARIN. Well done americans. It's like all the press around ARIN made large companies requesting IPv4 Space... great.

On https://www.arin.net/resources/request/ipv4_countdown.html they do not longer list /11, /12, /13 and /14 as available. Maybe not having them available and not splitting the other blocks any more, makes the counter staying stable for the next weeks.

But at that rate... I'll give IPv4 at ARIN no more 2-3 months.

Did anyone monitor throw-away of /22, /21 and /20 blocks? Has this been increased, too?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

SkylarM said: You'd be lucky to see IPv4 last until September June at this rate.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • @Corey said:
    Wtf is this even?

It means that when things get tough, the whites (USA/UK) will always resort to violence to get the resources they need. Look at how they stole Iraqi oil (massacring >3 million Iraqi's in the process) and stealing mineral resources from Africa (using direct military aggression and supporting warlords). So you don't need to worry about running out of IPv4 IP's. Someone in the USA/UK regimes is already probably planning a way to get those IPv4 out of those black African hands :-)

Now there's even more IP's that you can DDoS attack.

Thanked by 1chrisp
  • @GoodHosting said:
    It's simply not going to happen, so we have to hold out as long as we can.

XP works with IPv6 AFAIK.

mpkossen said: XP works with IPv6 AFAIK.

Yes, you only need to install the stack.

• @asterisk14 said:
    It means that when things get tough, the whites (USA/UK) will always resort to violence to get the resources they need. Look at how they stole Iraqi oil (massacring >3 million Iraqi's in the process) and stealing mineral resources from Africa (using direct military aggression and supporting warlords). So you don't need to worry about running out of IPv4 IP's. Someone in the USA/UK regimes is already probably planning a way to get those IPv4 out of those black African hands :-)

• jnguyenjnguyen Member

"IPv4 hoarding until the last /8 is gone is the way to go."

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Did you mean, we can charge 10BTC for 1x IP Address in 2015? ;)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Interesting thing would be when the least /8 is gone and the providers cant get more IPv4 if the prices would be going up that Providers cant offer anymore in LEB range.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Infinity580 said: when the least /8 is gone and the providers cant get more IPv4

Already the case in Europe and Asia.

if the prices would be going up that Providers cant offer anymore in LEB range.

The sky has not fallen to the ground, the LEB market still exists there.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Lets see how long.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

@Jack said:
    You know BTC will of probably died by 2015.

But now most of hosting company, shop owners accept BTC and price of BTC is still $400+

• It seems they may be pulling a chunk of IP's for the shortage... :O

edited May 2014

An IPv4 is about 1 Eur in RIPE area from DCs and VPS hosts. It is unlikely it will go much higher than 2, so, LEB prices are still possible, in US it is even better, IPv4 prices will be lower due to the fact many people hoarded them and will go to the market, competition will keep prices low. Heck, APNIC run out long ago and asian population is very high, not to mention bw costs, still, you can get LEB deals over there.
    And note I did not mention IPv6 deals which will not be influenced by IPv4 prices at all.

• I want the last /8.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited August 2014

Who got a /12 yesterday?

edit: nevermind, found it. AT&T got 104.176.0.0/12

• edited May 2015

1 year and 7 days later, we are still in the final phase (phase 4) but ARIN is now down to 0.21 /8's, almost exhausting the entire inventory:

REMAINING IPV4 INVENTORY

Discrete Block Size (CIDR) Number of Blocks Available

/11 1

/12 1

/16 1

/19 1

/21 15

/22 5

/23 175

/24 569

Thanked by 1OnraHost
  • /24 569 - This could/would be blown through from LET/LEB providers in the next month or two.

• comXyzcomXyz Member

what can I do with 4 million IP addresses?

• rds100rds100 Member

comXyz said:

Get rich?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @comXyz said:

Just give them to me. I will make sure your well compensated.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • comXyzcomXyz Member

@rds100 said:

@OnraHost said:
    Just give them to me. I will make sure your well compensated.

Just asked Google, he said I will lose a lot of money if I do it.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Hetzner:

"Hi, I'd like an additional IPv6 /64 pls"

"k that's 49€/mo. for a /56 + 15€/mo. for the "flexi pack""

• Maybe soon Xerox will sell their 013/8, they have sold some to Microsoft.

• Maybe ARIN will catch all the IP horders like "ipsystemsltd" and "addressnode" that are simply in business to stack their ipv4 hordes and sell them later.

Thanked by 1Jonchun