Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ARIN down to 1.00 /8 - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ARIN down to 1.00 /8

Comments

• @Pwner said:
    Still, how the hell did they manage to justify so many IPs?

They are a big holder, that's the secret handshake at ARIN.

• PwnerPwner Member

@Microlinux said:

I still want to know what they'll use 4 million+ IPv4s for.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited April 2014

@Pwner said:
    I still want to know what they'll use 4 million+ IPv4s for.

Step 1: Obtain IPs with the loosest of justifications

Step 2: ???

Step 3: Profit

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2014

Microlinux said: Step 2: ???

Sell or rent the IPs to whoever needs them later.

Thanked by 1lay295
  • BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@rds100 said:
    What? That was fast...

Yeah, it seemed like it jumped down 0.25 /8 in a matter of a week. There's probably a rush of providers scrambling to get in an IPv4 request before we reach complete exhaustion.

• @BrianHarrison said:
    Yeah, it seemed like it jumped down 0.25 /8 in a matter of a week. There's probably a rush of providers scrambling to get in an IPv4 request before we reach complete exhaustion.

the 0.25 drop was due to the /10 Akamai got. Not because a "rush of providers". A rush of providers grabbing /20's etc (the standard allocation size on average is either a /20 or a /22) wouldn't really budge that number.

• smansman Member
    edited April 2014

@hostnoob said:
    DNS > Cloudflare IPv4 > IPv6 VPS

How exactly is that eliminating the use of one IPv4 for each of my VPS's? Whether Cloudflare is using up IPv4s and charging me or I am paying and using IPv4's I don't see how you think this is a solution.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2014

@SkylarM said:
    the 0.25 drop was due to the /10 Akamai got. Not because a "rush of providers".

Good to know it's not because of "rush of providers".

@SkylarM said:
    A rush of providers grabbing /20's etc (the standard allocation size on average is either a /20 or a /22) wouldn't really budge that number.

There is no "standard" allocation size. There are minimum allocation sizes and allocation sizes that are more commonly requested -- but no standard. The size of an allocation is always requested/granted on the basis of justified need.

• @BrianHarrison said:
    There is no "standard" allocation size. There are minimum allocation sizes and allocation sizes that are more commonly requested -- but no standard. The size of an allocation is always requested/granted on the basis of justified need.

Standard wasn't the word to use, I mean more like the "average request" over the last few months has been right about there. Sorry for my improper wording.

edited April 2014

sman said: How exactly is that eliminating the use of one IPv4 for each of my VPS's? Whether Cloudflare is using up IPv4s and charging me or I am paying and using IPv4's I don't see how you think this is a solution.

Cloudflare can use a very small number of IPv4 addresses to act as a CDN for a great number of websites -- kind of similar to shared-hosting.

However I don't think that relying on a certain third-party service is really the way to go. Sure it can help you host your blog on a cheap IPv6-only VPS and have it accessible by IPv4-only users, but this setup does not strike me as "the" solution to anything.

• @BrianHarrison said:
    There is no "standard" allocation size.

I think what he meant is that those are the most common sizes.

• smansman Member
    edited April 2014

@rm_ said:
    However I don't think that relying on a certain third-party service is really the way to go. Sure it can help you host your blog on a cheap IPv6-only VPS and have it accessible by IPv4-only users, but this setup does not strike me as "the" solution to anything.

...but I am not talking aboout CDN. I am talking about individual VPS's for individual customers each requiring a single unique static IP that does not change.

sman said: talking about individual VPS's for individual customers each requiring a single unique static IP

Well, what for? If the primary use of a VPS is web server, the need for IPv4 address on the VPS itself can be avoided via the use of CDN as described above. Other needs, like the user's connection via SSH to manage the VPS, can already be satisfied via IPv6, or as LowEndSpirit does it, via a shared IPv4 and port-forwarding of a non-standard SSH port.

• rds100rds100 Member

Down to 0.92 today. Who got a /12?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited May 2014

RIPE is down to 0,81 /8

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited May 2014

104.48.0.0/12 - AT&T Internet Services

104.38.0.0/15 - Pennsylvania State

Biggest assignments from yesterday

Thanked by 1rds100
  • BoxodeBoxode Member

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited May 2014

@rds100, you can check daily here for all assignments :P

http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-issued/2014-May/thread.html

Thanked by 1rds100
  • SkylarMSkylarM Member
    edited May 2014

@INIZ said:
    104.48.0.0/12 - AT&T Internet Services

104.38.0.0/15 - Pennsylvania State

Biggest assignments from yesterday

Don't forget the /16 to SONIC

156.30.0.0/16 - SONIC.net

• @SkylarM said:
    156.30.0.0/15 - SONIC.net

Check your post, I believe you typoed between /15 and /16 :).

• SkylarMSkylarM Member

@pcfreak30 said:
    Check your post, I believe you typoed between /15 and /16 :).

Same crap. Tons of ips. Fixed :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

So, RIPE will soon have more than ARIN :D

• @Maounique said:
    So, RIPE will soon have more than ARIN :D

If they keep handing them out like they're free, yep.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited May 2014

Don't worry, there is a plan. The whities will steal IP's from the black africans if needed, like they have done throughout history. They have plenty to spare, like their oil, diamonds, etc...

• CoreyCorey Member

@asterisk14 said:
    Don't worry, there is a plan. The whities will steal IP's from the black africans if needed, like they have done throughout history. They have plenty to spare, like their oil, diamonds, etc...

Wtf is this even?

• SkylarMSkylarM Member

@mpkossen said:
    If they keep handing them out like they're free, yep.

The policy won't change. Community agreed to what to do when entering STAGE4, which is surprisingly the same thing (almost) as stage 3. You'd be lucky to see IPv4 last until September at this rate.

• Here's a list of ARIN's recent allocations:

United States   104.38.0.0 - 104.39.255.255      131072   2014-05-06   assigned
    United States   104.48.0.0 - 104.63.255.255      1048576  2014-05-06   allocated
    United States   216.170.112.0 - 216.170.127.255  4096     2014-05-06   allocated
    United States   63.142.240.0 - 63.142.255.255    4096     2014-04-30   allocated
    United States   107.181.112.0 - 107.181.127.255  4096     2014-04-29   allocated
    United States   66.163.208.0 - 66.163.223.255    4096     2014-04-28   assigned

• @asterisk14 said:

Is this the latest fad? Doing drugs and then posting in Internet forums?

Thanked by 1Magiobiwan
  • Why does AFRINIC have more IPs left than ARIN?

Please advise why AFRINIC needs these IPs?

• Because IANA delegated those IPs to AFRINIC and eventually AFRINIC will need them. Reclaiming AFRINIC's IPs won't help solve the REAL problem, which is that THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH IPv4 ADDRESSES. The only solution to that problem will be IPv6, and that's not going to come soon enough...

Thanked by 2linuxthefish tux