Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why did you decide to get into the hosting business? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why did you decide to get into the hosting business?

13»

Comments

• BoltersdriveerBoltersdriveer Member, LIR

I started getting on the Internet in 2009 only. Kinda late, I know :c . Started out with various games I had, one of them being Team Fortress 2. With this, I have to say that Team Fortress 2 has brought me to where I am today - I was interested in hosting servers with TF2 and branched out to various other platforms of hosting including VPS hosting for now. Of course, I got burned several times last year and 2010 with what happened to HostFail, as well as BoltHub, being one of my early ventures into offering hosting services. Of course, I was partnering with someone else on the BoltHub venture - the owner of the now failed SleekHosts as well.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited May 2012

@Boltersdriveer said: I started getting on the Internet in 2009 only. Kinda late, I know :c . Started out with various games I had, one of them being Team Fortress 2. With this, I have to say that Team Fortress 2 has brought me to where I am today - I was interested in hosting servers with TF2 and branched out to various other platforms of hosting including VPS hosting for now. Of course, I got burned several times last year and 2010 with what happened to HostFail, as well as BoltHub, being one of my early ventures into offering hosting services. Of course, I was partnering with someone else on the BoltHub venture - the owner of the now failed SleekHosts as well.

How old are you?

Im 17, and started going on the internet when I was 4.

Luckily my birth was around the same time DSL began to to get rolled out in the UK, although for between 9 - 10 I had to use dial-up.

• BoltersdriveerBoltersdriveer Member, LIR

@Daniel said: How old are you?

Im 17, and started going on the internet when I was 4.

Luckily my birth was around the same time DSL began to to get rolled out in the UK.

I'm the same age as @Infinity :)

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited May 2012

@CVPS_Chris said: I am in college getting my MBA and graduate in 7 days in Business Administration.

Congrats! That has be exciting, hope you celebrate :) Not many people graduate college, or even make it there, so this is definitely a special moment, and I think everyone on here should buy one of your plans when you graduate, as graduation present :D

• @taipres said: Congrats! That has be exciting, hope you celebrate :) Not many people graduate college, or even make it there, so this is definitely a special moment, and I think everyone on here should buy one of your plans when you graduate, as graduation present :D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but college in US = University?

College in the UK = Year 12 and 13th.

• Yes college in US = University.
    If he finished year 13 of school at the age of 23 that would be kinda fail :D

• @gsrdgrdghd said: If he finished year 13 of school at the age of 23 that would be kinda fail :D

Haha, I was sorta confused when he said he was getting a MBA and was graduating, I thought? at college??

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@CVPS_Chris said: I am in college getting my MBA and graduate in 7 days in Business Administration.

Despite your MBA, I think Chicago VPS has a good chance of succeeding.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@raindog308 said: Despite your MBA, I think Chicago VPS has a good chance of succeeding.

And if not, there is always hotel management and chinchilla farming to fall back on

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

@CVPS_Chris 23 and throwing out threats to 17 year olds! tut tut tut.

You've got not excuse with an MBA behind you!

Hopefully it was just bad judgement.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@httpzoom said: Hopefully it was just bad judgement

Or that I just don't care haha? Obviously you don't know me -_-

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@raindog308 said: Despite your MBA, I think Chicago VPS has a good chance of succeeding.

Thanks @raindog308 :-D

• NateN34NateN34 Member

To clarify I am not old, I am 23 and work very hard to make what ChicagoVPS is today.

Regards,

Chris

Well then..............

I was expecting you to be like 35 or something.

• WilliamWilliam Member

Dem profit mang, dem profit.

• CINIPACCINIPAC Member
    edited May 2012

We first started hosting dedicated servers for some friends in 2007, it was more private than public. In 2008 we started our hosting company, specialized on secure and anonymous webhosting solutions for "special" websites like whistleblowing websites and Freedom of Speech content.

We started our hosting business because we see ourselves as fighters for freedom of speech and anonymity. We're also trying to help people in restrictive countries like China with providing TOR exit nodes and VPN access.

• specklspeckl Member

@miTgiB said: And if not, there is always hotel management and chinchilla farming to fall back on

I wanted to be a hotel manager in 3rd grade. I saw how much they made, at the time $25k/yr. Now, I couldn't live on that amount.

• SpencerSpencer Member

@speckl said: I wanted to be a hotel manager in 3rd grade. I saw how much they made, at the time $25k/yr. Now, I couldn't live on that amount.

I wanted to be an air traffic controller but I had adult ADD so they wouldn't hire me for safety reasons. O well.

• I originally jumped in after hosting a few friends' sites. I met my biggest challenge when my provider (at the time I had a Master Reseller), skipped out on the server bill. About 15 others jumped ship with me when I got my own server. That was probably when I actually became a true host back in late 2007.

• qhosterqhoster Member

Just got one domain back then in 2004 and everything started :) first shared then reseller and now everything.