Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why did you decide to get into the hosting business? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why did you decide to get into the hosting business?

Comments

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@Aldryic said: LowEndDome

Can I take it to that place in the other thread? We need an 18+ forum

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2012

@Daniel I'm talking about the days you paid money for 20 hours a month dial up and pay for the charges!

@kbar back in the day it was actual real business' trying to become ISP's rather than kiddie hosts or any guy with a "spare" server :)

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited May 2012

@CVPS_Chris said: Can I take it to that place in the other thread? We need an 18+ forum

Other thread? Won't be too much longer until we're forced to simply open PMs to selective groups of people in order to try and avoid all the drama.

Back on topic. I had no particular feelings one way or another on hosting and virtualization when I started. I was a support staffer in Fran's IRC network, had already worked for him for ~4-5 years. Ended up volunteering to help out with deb/nix related stuff when he started up Frantech, been involved ever since.

• @httpzoom said: @Daniel I'm talking about the days you paid money for 20 hours a month dial up and pay for the charges!

That pre-dates my birth.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I got into hosting because, for years, I've played the middle man. I've helped people set up their websites, set them up with a hosting company, and walked away. At some point I realized that not only was I missing out on continued profit, but that I was never satisfied with the host I used all those years. I love what I do. I enjoy challenges. I cherish sleepless nights. This pushes me to be better and learn more. I'm tired of filling my head with knowledge of things that interest me without applying them somewhere. This is the application. I couldn't be more satisfied.

@Daniel it was quite a long time ago :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@httpzoom Former Prodigy subscriber? ;) ...I'll remember the sound of that 2400 modem till I die...

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@jarland said: @httpzoom Former Prodigy subscriber? ;) ...I'll remember the sound of that 2400 modem till I die...

DUUUUR BEEE DUN BEEE DUN

Francisco

@Jarland We used to be partnered with Worldcom or something like that. They ended up turning into Tiscali, it was probably the least profitable business we've ever been involved with.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

I really expected @Francisco to claim he go into it for the $5 foot longs

I got into it back in 1994 I began to do my research and in 1995 was live with a T1 from MCI for $3200/mo and 30 phone lines to offer dialup @ $20/mo for unlimited use, the 3rd ISP in St Louis, this grew faster than your lawn, adding some 30 more lines every few days and 300 customers a day, and at it's peak, had just over 17,000 dailup customers, in St Louis, Chicago, and Indianapolis, peered at the Ameritec exchange in Chicago from my colo in the Prudential building run by Worldcom, with a T3 back to St Louis, and then came Cable/DSL and crushed the dialup industry, so passed it onto one of my bigger resellers and worked for friends in the industry until 2006 I started Hostigation

• BlueVMBlueVM Member

@Francisco said: DUUUUR BEEE DUN BEEE DUN

Fond memories of my first 9600 baud modem... Oddly enough the internet wasn't all that slow then. It was mostly text so pages only took 20 - 40 seconds to load if they were big.

According to my calculations it would take 9.4 hours to load the homepage of my site today at those speeds.

@Aldryic said: Other thread? Won't be too much longer until we're forced to simply open PMs to selective groups of people in order to try and avoid all the drama.

I was making another sexual reference..... I should have worded it better haha

@DotVPS said: haha. Okay then Chris ill let you stay on that high horse of yours

Your this big ||, Im this big | |.

Nuff Said.

My space was bigger but it defaulted to that.

• laaevlaaev Member

lol

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2012

@CVPS_Chris: Should've used   :)

• KairusKairus Member

To get rich.

• FRCoreyFRCorey Member

I may not be well known but I've been in the hosting business since the FidoNet days. Ran FidoNet Hubs until 1996, helped fix design issues in a startup ISP that was very successful until about 1999 when the owner sold out. Nothing like lifetime free dialup when that was the only choice back at my folks house.

I've ran websites of mine and a few others freelance for years, one of the major ones being Warcry networks which unfortunately after I left became a shadow of itself. I always wanted to beat Curse and IGN, but the owners took it a different route. Now it's more like about.com for MMO's and other games.

I've been doing this for about 20 years now. I've been using Linux as a server (ok ok yes I had some cobalt raq's back in the day too), since hell I don't even remember the kernel versions pre 2000. Probably last one I recall was Red Hat 5.x, the old Suse, Solaris, and BSD.

Why did I finally go commercial. Put it this way. When you're the Apex predator engineer on a 130million customer network it's so unpersonal it's not funny. I have no delusions that said company would keep me around until retirement, and the only way to ensure I'm employed until then is to run my own business or three. I also do not like the corporate environment, and when I incorporate I will never see it ran like that. I won't be one of those dollar CEO's, but I feel 10x the lowest paid person seems a fair deal.

@CVPS_Chris said: Lol. If I really wanted to, Id have you out of business tomorrow ;-) But Ill let you be and think your all that and a bag a chips for today.

Is that a threat towards another member in some way shape or form?

@httpzoom said: Is that a threat towards another member in some way shape or form?

Nope

Sure sounds like one. Obviously being a provider you're showing yourself in a very bad light to potential customers!

Thanked by 1Spencer

@httpzoom said: Sure sounds like one. Obviously being a provider you're showing yourself in a very bad light to potential customers!

That's just how he is, try not to take it to heart.

For now i'm using the excuse of 'hes likely stressed to hell out over exams, he will cool down soon enough'.

I guess we'll know at the end of the month :P

Francisco

Thanked by 1Boltersdriveer

Maybe its just his time of the month haha!

@Francisco said: For now i'm using the excuse of 'hes likely stressed to hell out over exams, he will cool down soon enough'.

Nah, I just dont like some people, and the way I act has nothing to do with our services. I think people know that or we wouldnt be where we are today.

Anyway. Its been real today. Thanks for the laughs

• Back on topic: I decided to start my own business and be my own Boss. :)

• @CVPS_Chris said: Lol. If I really wanted to, Id have you out of business tomorrow ;-) But Ill let you be and think your all that and a bag a chips for today.

LMFAO. You never fail to make me giggle bud!

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@KuJoe said: I enjoy helping people. This is why I would rather run a free web hosting company than paid any day (hopefully I'll get back into this shortly).

I know a great book on the subject...

• taiprestaipres Member

@Francisco said: For now i'm using the excuse of 'hes likely stressed to hell out over exams'.

I always pictured @CVPS_Chris to be an old man for some reason. That's neat he's managed to build a successful VPS company while still in college.

@taipres said: I always pictured @CVPS_Chris to be an old man for some reason. That's neat he's managed to build a successful VPS company while still in college.

I can't confirm he's in college, it's just what he has stated in PM before :)

Francisco

@Francisco said: I can't confirm he's in college, it's just what he has stated in PM before :)

I am in college getting my MBA and graduate in 7 days in Business Administration.

To clarify I am not old, I am 23 and work very hard to make what ChicagoVPS is today.

Regards,

Chris