Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Enterprise Server monitoring (Beta) / Free to Join - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New Enterprise Server monitoring (Beta) / Free to Join

13»

Comments

• @AnthonySmith said:
    something not working in a nightly build of something else is not really a bug.....

Exactly.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    something not working in a nightly build of something else is not really a bug.....

@0xdragon said:
    Exactly.

It doesn't work in Firefox 26.0a1 either [ Aurora channel ] , which is the current latest stable.

• @GoodHosting said:
    It doesn't work in Firefox 26.0a1 either [ Aurora channel ] , which is the current latest stable.

Works for me...

• wojonswojons Member

@GoodHosting said:
    wojons : A great example would be that it still doesn't work at all in the latest [nightly] Firefox:

when i first launched the beta there were some firefox issues since fixing them this is the first firefox bug report which i will add to the bug tracker. Now it is possiable that you may not have ntp installed on ur server there for your graphs are not insync with real world time.

• wojonswojons Member
    edited June 2014

@GoodHosting said:

I just tested and everything is working and FYI firefox 29.0.1 is latest stable as of monday but i think there is another one out already. 30.0 (June 10, 2014; 1 day ago[1]) according to wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Firefox&oldid=612452440

@AnthonySmith said:
    I know it is late, I did not see the post the first time around so I applied anyway :)

i will approve a few more applications later today.

• I also applied.

• wojonswojons Member

@AThomasHowe said:
    I also applied.

Yes i do see it i will make sure to clear them out in a few hours.

• wojons said: Yes i do see it i will make sure to clear them out in a few hours.

Yeah no rush, just adding my name to the thread.

• wojonswojons Member

@AThomasHowe said:

I have processed all new sign ups as of a few minutes ago.

• i have applied for it. lets see how it goes .

• wojonswojons Member

@zionvps said:
    i have applied for it. lets see how it goes .

Please always feel free to provide feedback.

• Some thoughts and suggestions so far:

• Might want to move the delete button from the about page, kinda hidden.
    • I did say this in a PM to you but you may want to mention the API key etc it asks for when you first set up is in the welcome e-mail
    • It's not essential but a map with a spread of all your nodes would be nice. Same for flags on the node info cards/page, maybe a small map on the full status page.
    • Uptime in the last 24 hours, 2 days, 3 days, 7 days, month, 6 months and year - better would be a few of those and a user defined time window. More detailed uptime stuff in general would be nice if possible.
    • Add a link for a elastictrace-agent-latest.tar.gz
    • SSH login info
    • Not sure if it's the direction you're wanting to go down, but maybe apache/nginx/mysql/ssh/ftp etc specific information
    • On the same line of thinking, not essential, just an idea if you want to go down this route - simple log watcher to detect attacks, etc
    • I am guessing this is implemented or going to be, but e-mail/SMS alerts for uptime/x% load etc
    • The red for a down node's card on the console front page is a little striking, might want to tone it down a little. I know it's meant to stand out because it's down, though.
    • My browser doesn't show scroll bar
    • Maybe trace information?
    • Noticed there's no space here in this text before the server's name:

Hope this doesn't come across negative or anything, loving the service... just thought you might like some more ideas seeing as you want to sell enterprise monitoring :)

Hope this is the right place for feedback too, @wojons. Maybe some other people can give some input too.

• wojonswojons Member

@AThomasHowe said:
    Some thoughts and suggestions so far:

>

Hope this doesn't come across negative or anything, loving the service... just thought you might like some more ideas seeing as you want to sell enterprise monitoring :)

Hope this is the right place for feedback too, wojons. Maybe some other people can give some input too.

Dont worry about where the right place to give feedback its a beta and working things out. You can also leave feedback my emailing the support email address.

Now to cover the things you said:

• Might want to move the delete button from the about page, kinda hidden.

Why would i ever want you to remove your server :) Yes it should be better to be seen. Where did you expect it to be.

• I did say this in a PM to you but you may want to mention the API key etc it asks for when you first set up is in the welcome e-mail

Next version which is late but still in progress will moves most of this needed install data be be pre-filled in values and also better help text.

• It's not essential but a map with a spread of all your nodes would be nice. Same for flags on the node info cards/page, maybe a small map on the full status page.

yes we have this is planed and we will be using maps for all sorts of other things trust me you will be happy when we get to those features.

• Uptime in the last 24 hours, 2 days, 3 days, 7 days, month, 6 months and year - better would be a few of those and a user defined time window. More detailed uptime stuff in general would be nice if possible.

When it comes to uptime do you mean machine uptime, network uptime? service uptime? we have a crazy module for things like this planned but its a few releases away because we want to have more data to feed it.

• Add a link for a elastictrace-agent-latest.tar.gz

I will make sure to add this for the next version but it wont be needed since it will use python's pip installing.

• SSH login info

are you looking for the ssh info for your server?

• Not sure if it's the direction you're wanting to go down, but maybe apache/nginx/mysql/ssh/ftp etc specific information

Yes this is absolutely the direction we are moving things. not the release that is pending but the following one will have lots of the things you have listed here.

• On the same line of thinking, not essential, just an idea if you want to go down this route - simple log watcher to detect attacks, etc

we already have the code for log watching built its just not hocked into the backend yet. we are looking for the best way to store this type of data. we have also ordered a server for storing this data so trust me it will happen sooner then you think.

• I am guessing this is implemented or going to be, but e-mail/SMS alerts for uptime/x% load etc

the one we are building is so crazy that its taken almost 2 months to get done so we are hoping not to disappoint.

• The red for a down node's card on the console front page is a little striking, might want to tone it down a little. I know it's meant to stand out because it's down, though.

are you thinking of a darker read? i really just picked a default red when i did it did not think that it could cause heart attack.

• My browser doesn't show scroll bar

can i know which browser you are using.

• Maybe trace information?

what sort of trace information are you looking for.

• Noticed there's no space here in this text before the server's name:

thx, now fixed for next release.

Thanked by 1AThomasHowe
  • wojons said: Why would i ever want you to remove your server :) Yes it should be better to be seen. Where did you expect it to be.

On the first page when you click your server name, or in the server list. Or just an option for 'delete' in the drop down.

wojons said: When it comes to uptime do you mean machine uptime, network uptime? service uptime? we have a crazy module for things like this planned but its a few releases away because we want to have more data to feed it.

Yeah, network uptime. Sounds good!

wojons said: are you looking for the ssh info for your server?

Well no, if you're doing log watching and stuff I was thinking you could plot the frequency of SSH login attempts and/or other security related stats maybe.

wojons said: are you thinking of a darker read? i really just picked a default red when i did it did not think that it could cause heart attack.

Darker or paler, just looked a little out of place with the soft blues.

wojons said: can i know which browser you are using.

Safari

wojons said: what sort of trace information are you looking for.

I can't remember which monitoring solution I was looking at the other day but it had an option to see a trace route to your IP from a load of different locations (probably all the different ping locations) just thought it was cool and useful to be able to see the routing to your server over the world. A nice map would also be lovely :)

Didn't quote the ones you didn't ask a question on... like I said, very good service :) keep up the good work! Look forward to seeing where it goes.

• wojonswojons Member

@AThomasHowe said:

Well If I did not ask a question but you want to Add things to it please be my guest more info is always better

Thanked by 1AThomasHowe
  • Well, since ya asked ;P

• Server labels - hostnames are good, but it'd be good if I could have "DNS Server #1" with the hostname underneath it too (if I wanted)
    • To expand on that, server groups and/or tags to group them together and easily find all your DNS/mail/whatever servers at a glance.
    • Not so much useful for me but maybe the option to export a small report (to PDF etc) to send over e-mail to someone or bring to a meeting
    • Very low priority obviously as what you have looks great... but a night theme for when you don't want something so bright?
    • Remember me on login form
    • Re-add server? So if you do a reinstall or need to remove the agent for a while you can continue with your old data. Should probably be low priority too though as you'd have to account for the data gaps.
    • More ping servers - so you can know what your ping is from the UK or Hong Kong or Georgia USA
    • Be good to see in numbers how much RAM/disk/whatever else I have used/free - x MB/x GB

And after so much I didn't like or think it was missing, some really cool stuff:

• UI looks nice
    • It also feels alive - stuff pops/rolls in... feels like a web app.
    • Graphs look great, AA on text too which you rarely see
    • Pretty fully featured for a beta panel
    • Responsive, nav looks good collapsed too
    • Works pretty well at a glance on my iPad too
    • Like the colour scheme

Pretty much it I think! Despite how it may look it was actually pretty hard to think of things I think it was missing once I mentioned a few key features. I'll try and continue to be one picky b-word for you, though ;)