Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

wtf is that on the main page - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

wtf is that on the main page

2»

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member

@rm_ this is the mentioned permissions problem - the current writers don't have permissions to upload the images, Joel has to fix it.

• NickMNickM Member

@rm_ said: Didn't read the thread, but I noticed the latest 2 posts don't even have provider webpage screenshots on them.

That's because only Chief has access to upload images. They're new providers who haven't been featured on LEB before, and thus, they don't have images already uploaded that they can recycle.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@rm_ said: That just smacks of LAZY.

Not lazy, we don't have the ability to upload them and don't want to use free image hosts so we're stuck without thumbnails (some are generated, just not uploaded).

• NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited May 2012

I remember they recruited writers a while back, but I am not sure how many they recruited. Honestly though, I am not trying to sound like a prick, but how hard can it be to pop out at least 4 or 5 posts a week? All it would take is a bit of research on the company, list the details about the company and some info you learned on your research, such as how long they have been around, who runs it, etc. That should take around only 30 minutes to 1 hour to read, research and write up a good amount in the post, instead of the little bit of text they add nowadays. The only writer I see is KuJoe, but IMO, he has enough on his plate, as he is also running a hosting company!

What can you do though. I hope LEA comes back and recruits more writers or something, because that is about all they need. They have all the admins and mods they need for the forum, but seem short on writers. Either that, or the way offers are posted needs to be reformed......... maybe have it where hosts can post their own? IDK

@taipres

About your website.............

Your website is pretty good, but is lacking in lots of ways. I feel like you don't get as great of deals out of the providers like LEB does. Also you last post was April 21st............LEB is pumping out far more offers than you are, so please don't even go there, with criticising LEB every chance you get, because your website is far worse, as far as offer posts go. On top of that, you have absolutely no comments on each of your posts, which people like to see, so they know what they are getting into and what others say about the provider. Finally, you have no forum.............without a forum, your website just seems stale and lifeless, with absolutely no community...........a forum is essential IMO.

At this current time, it is nowhere close to what LEB or LET is, but has potential.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2012

the current writers don't have permissions to upload the images, Joel has to fix it.

Good to know, so at the current pace of things this is something that should only take a couple of weeks, right.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited May 2012

@NateN34 said: Your website is pretty good, but is lacking in lots of ways. I feel like you don't get as great of deals out of the providers like LEB does. Also you last post was April 21st............LEB is pumping out far more offers than you are, so please don't even go there, with criticising LEB every chance you get, because your website is far worse, as far as offer posts go. On top of that, you have absolutely no comments on each of your posts, which people like to see, so they know what they are getting into and what others say about the provider. Finally, you have no forum.............without a forum, your website just seems stale and lifeless, with absolutely no community...........a forum is essential IMO.

<

First off there are a lot of better deals on my site than LEB, as I fought for them. Second I list high end providers LEB never will because of their $7 limit, third all deals are the very least equal to LEB, otherwise I won't post them(same providers offer that is) and I just got a deal listed two seconds ago, granted I have been slacking.

Some of the deals on my site have comments, and forums dead granted I have registration shutdown but was dead prior to that anyway. That's the thing, LEB has community because everyone rather have crap, that's their choice and i'm fine with it. That's why CVD has taken a back seat to my other projects for other communities I know will appreciate my efforts. I tried my best with this community, you guys are just too stuck in your ways and too determined to ride the sinking ship all the way to the bottom, which again is fine. I'll continue my site just for those who don't following this consensus and so providers can get exposure because my site does still get quite a bit of traffic, and is ranked nicely on google for various keywords(maybe that's why spammers hit it constantly every day :(

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited May 2012

Actually when KuJoe gets his privileges i'm sure things may smooth out with LEB, he seems constantly level headed in his posts and articulate, and I hope they do.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2012

@taipres said: Second I list high end providers LEB never will because of their $7 limit

Yep, because listing high end providers is exactly the point of CHEAPvpsdeals or LOWENDbox. (I still believe your decision to do away with the $7 limit is the single most prominent mistake you made, can't really think of any others).

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2012

This is just madness, just stop taking submissions by email.

Of cause it is frustrating when people get things plain wrong that are easy to check KuJoe, just move over to form based submission with email validation + capcha then all the staff need to do is accept/reject, copy paste, and write the editorial and any offer specific details are the hosts fault if they are wrong and they can get publicly slaughtered for it.

This sort of offer which has a ton of holes in it and no research is exactly why I had issues with the way he recent Inception Offer was posted.

I honestly don't care what level of checking gets done, but do the same for everyone, a consistent approach is what will make these complaints stop not just saying "go ahead and complain"

Thanked by 1beard
  • taiprestaipres Member
    edited May 2012

@rm_ said: Yep, because listing high end providers is exactly the point of CHEAPvpsdeals or LOWENDbox. (I still believe your decision to do away with the $7 limit is the single most prominent mistake you made, can't really think of any others).

I like and respect you rm, you were probably one of the very first people to visit my site when it was a ugly gray thing with barely anything on it. Your encouraging post and mention of it on here at the time was very much appreciated and probably drove me in some way to get it where it's at today. People like you are who I strive to find in communities, and who I think should be put in positions of power.

in terms of the $7 thing, majority of my listings are in the $3-$4 something range. There are great deals out there that cost more than $7 though and i'm very happy I made it max at $10. I talked down high end providers that sell for a lot more than $10 to there that I never would be able to at $7. Also certain companies like say FanaticalVPS who sell unmetered 1Gbps plans with IPv6 at $10...that's awesome and they're awesome :)

• FTR, where is Chief? I haven't seen him here or on LEB since the change-over. No offence intended, but how can he efficiently manage this site if he is never here?

Thanked by 1LES
  • taiprestaipres Member

I'm going to take a break from LET. I realize i've been too negative on here, and that's not good for anyone, so my apologies. Assuming i'm not banned when I come back, I hope all you guys(providers) continued success, especially in this economy, and I hope the consumers can keep finding quality offers.

• ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited May 2012

Hey look, an opportunity for self promotion for @taipres.
    Time to sit through some memes again. >_>

edit: thank god.

• vedranvedran Veteran

@taipres said: I'm going to take a break from LET. I realize i've been too negative on here, and that's not good for anyone, so my apologies. Assuming i'm not banned when I come back, I hope all you guys(providers) continued success, especially in this economy, and I hope the consumers can keep finding quality offers.

Finally a good post from you :P

Not because you're taking a break from LEB, but for everything else you said. Keep up with good work finding quality offers, at the end that's what (most of us) are here for, not to flame and troll each other.

Anyways, about this thread: the time of almighty LEA is gone, every post he ever made was a work of art and he never made a single mistake.

In all seriousness, LEB writers are still doing a good job, if you think something is missing why don't you post a comment and fill in the blanks? Not enough information, too much information ... those guys know whatever they write they'll be wrong even before they start writing. But they're still doing this highly unrewarding work, so why don't you help them instead of complaining about every single thing they write? This is still a community driven site imho

Thanked by 1djvdorp

@AnthonySmith said: just move over to form based submission with email validation + capcha then all the staff need to do is accept/reject, copy paste, and write the editorial and any offer specific details are the hosts fault if they are wrong and they can get publicly slaughtered for it.

Until we have somebody with server access this is just not possible. :(

@AnthonySmith said: I honestly don't care what level of checking gets done, but do the same for everyone,

This is much easier said than done if LEB was only ran by one person. Having 6 people able to write posts makes it hard to have consistency when all 6 people have different personalities, opinions, beliefs, writing styles, etc... I am actually pushing for LEB to be more of a template based system instead of allowing creativity and personal style but that's not something I can do (it's up to whether the other staff would want to do it or if Chief would implement it).

• AldryicAldryic Member

Many of the complaints don't even match actual fact anymore. It's like some kind of residual butthurt that things don't go exactly how they want them to.

For the folks with legitimate complaints, it is refreshing to actually see helpful suggestions on correcting the issue, so keep it up gents.

@KuJoe, good fair points.

I suppose by consistency I really mean, standard checks and info for every post, while obviously the editorial will have creative individuality

@AnthonySmith said: I really mean, standard checks and info for every post

Oh, gotcha. I actually put together a checklist last night and shared it with the other staff. We'll discuss and fine tune it but hopefully once everybody is in agreement I can put together a template from it.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2012

@NateN34 said: , I am not trying to sound like a prick, but how hard can it be to pop out at least 4 or 5 posts a week? All it would take is a bit of research on the company, list the details about the company and some info you learned on your research, such as how long they have been around, who runs it, etc. That should take around only 30 minutes to 1 hour to read, research and write up a good amount in the post, instead of the little bit of text they add nowadays. The only writer I see is KuJoe, but IMO, he has enough on his plate, as he is also running a hosting company!

If you subscribe to the RSS-feed you will see who is the writer of that post.
    Personally, since English is not my native language I usually have to give a post atleast 1-2 hours, that if provider has all information easily accessible. Having it written, re-written and probably one more time after that.

@KuJoe said: I actually put together a checklist last night and shared it with the other staff. We'll discuss and fine tune it but hopefully once everybody is in agreement I can put together a template from it.

And it sure is a fine list :)
    I see that Asims already added to it and I have my thoughts on it aswell.

I will not comment on the other stuff since all have been cleared already.

• LESLES Member

@VMPort said: FTR, where is Chief? I haven't seen him here or on LEB since the change-over. No offence intended, but how can he efficiently manage this site if he is never here?

Thanked by 1beard

^^ haha

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran

^^^ lol

• LowEndMad

• beardbeard Member
    edited May 2012

Maybe if we ask Joseph Kony

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran

@beard said: Maybe if we ask Joseph Kony

I heard he has some leadership skills, maybe he could help out on the site?

• JacobJacob Member

I agree with this guy, Joel is a awesome guy and busy with his weather company most likely but LowEndBox is being neglected, Either take up the job your self or pass it onto someone who has more time, Which is what LEA tried to achieve originally.

@VMPort said: FTR, where is Chief? I haven't seen him here or on LEB since the change-over. No offence intended, but how can he efficiently manage this site if he is never here?

• SpiritSpirit Member

@Daniel said: I quite like that the Hahn posted the details below, makes it seem more community run.

Short but best and most realistic post in this thread. It's not like lowendboxadmin did always all digging work for us.

Thanked by 3beard djvdorp KuJoe
  • yomeroyomero Member

@taipres

Apologies...!!! hahaha HAHAHA!!!
    As I said before, people NEVER change, everybody learn that ¬¬

And about the post, for me is ok as is. I just need the pretty image at the side of the post n_n

• specklspeckl Member

I wouldn't be surprised if the LE sites get sold off. It's the perfect crime.