Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there anything I can do now? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there anything I can do now?

2»

Comments

• MikHo said: Bumping tickets might put you at the bottom of the queue and delay responses.

While technically true, i doubt most of the unmanaged / self managed providers here have "queues" with tens of tickets waiting for reply. If they do have such queues, they must be doing something wrong.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • @Profforg said:
    Load 1 if you have 1 core means 100% load in most cases :) Load 38 if you have 1 core means something is definitely wrong (maybe you have been flooded).

I think you should try to contact your hosting provider with all available ways and tell to activate your VPS. However you must said, that such load will never happen again :)
    After activation, connect with SSH and monitor your load, if it will be > 10 - you should dump some output of current state (ps aux, netstat, htop, e.t.c.) to text files and stop your web-server, database server and any other services which can cause such load. Then look at our txt dumps and look at that cause your load. If it's websites - you should see which user/website cause much load at these dumps. If it's database - you should look at binary logs and active userstat. I can look at that's the problem with your VPS, if you want. I am SysAdmin.

I get the feeling from your post that you assume load means CPU usage. It has to do with the amount of processes waiting to use the CPU on average for a specific time interval such as 1 min, 5 min and 15 min. If he's running a webserver that has cpanel with a lot of traffic (maybe what you consider a flood of requests) a lot of processes can get spawned and subsequently cause the load to become that high. Each httpd process has a limit of connections it will serve using it's own threads before a forked version of it will start to handle other connections.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2014

@rds100 said:
    While technically true, i doubt most of the unmanaged / self managed providers here have "queues" with tens of tickets waiting for reply. If they do have such queues, they must be doing something wrong.

I once had a vps with a provider that actually on purpose put your ticket "on hold" and added waiting time every time you bumped a ticket asking for a reply. Not the best option and that's one of the reasons I'm now a former customer and not a current customer.

So even if there is technically no queue the ticket wasn't answered.

• smansman Member
    edited April 2014

If you were causing a 38 load on my servers I would suspend you and probably ignore your tickets hoping you go away. Saying the limit is 1 with todays servers isn't unreasonable either. Anyone consistently going over about 1.5 usually goes on my radar.

• MassNodes said: I get the feeling from your post that you assume load means CPU usage. It has to do with the amount of processes waiting to use the CPU on average for a specific time interval such as 1 min, 5 min and 15 min.

Yes. And on Linux, load includes IO wait time. So dog-slow disk access can drive up your load by creating a queue of processes waiting for disk.

• @sleddog said:

Tell that to google or Facebook or a telecom company, VPS is for kids or reaaaally low budget "business"

• MassNodes said: I get the feeling from your post that you assume load means CPU usage. It has to do with the amount of processes waiting to use the CPU on average for a specific time interval such as 1 min, 5 min and 15 min. If he's running a webserver that has cpanel with a lot of traffic (maybe what you consider a flood of requests) a lot of processes can get spawned and subsequently cause the load to become that high. Each httpd process has a limit of connections it will serve using it's own threads before a forked version of it will start to handle other connections.

Profforg said: in most cases

• @sleddog said:
    Yes. And on Linux, load includes IO wait time. So dog-slow disk access can drive up your load by creating a queue of processes waiting for disk.

Yup, your absolutely right. It includes uninterruptible sleep state processes.

• UltranetUSA said: VPS is for kids or reaaaally low budget "business"

Why do you come to a forum that is about using VPSs, and then belittle their usage? It makes no sense.

• @sleddog said:

I sell VPS and Dedis and if you ask me I will recommend what is best for your business, I will never sell a VPS for a VOIP business etc, that will help avoid the case of our friend here in this tread!!

• I didn't say that....

Thanked by 1UltranetUSA
  • @serverian said:
    Having load of >1 24/7 is considered high if you do not have dedicated cores.

^this

• stallionstallion Member
    edited April 2014

Alright!!!!! its all good now. My provider unsuspended my account. IN WHM I paid a visit to "resource monitor" and I was able to identify one account which was causing the huge load. Suspending that one cPanel account has fixed this problem. Now the load is around 2-4. Still high according to my provider's standards but I am happy it is not 38 anymore.
    I was able to transfer all accounts out from there to my dedicated server.

It seems my VPS provider has hired some guy for support who answer's support tickets only once a day. But the replies I got from him were polite and as he restored my access to the VPS I am all happy with them. In fact I am thinking about writing a positive review for them on WHT although I nolonger need their service. It was my fault the load was jumping so high. I should have checked it earlier.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Glad it is all sorted and that you got all your files. Remember to keep your own backups in the future.

• if you are using whm/cpanel i think the whmeasybackup is a great backup tool. get a leb here with penty of disk and run backups as often as you need them via cron.

• my advise for the future is to use cloudlinux. from my experience it will save you a lot of headaches with abusive costumers.