Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there anything I can do now?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there anything I can do now?

I had a few client cpanel accounts hosted on a VPS. Today my VPS account was suspended without warning.
Suspension Reason: Running server loads above 38. Anything over 1 is too high

Please contact us as soon as possible to get your service reactivated.

After this email I tried to contact support dept and opened a ticket. Nobody has replied me yet and its been like 8 hours. My clients are complaining to me why are their sites down. I have no backup and what am I supposed to do now.

Just for info the VPS provider is a very old company and has been providing service at WHT for at least 4-5 years. But they have lot of negative review threads there.
Is there any way I can make the owner of that company to allow me to download the cpanel accounts from there? It won't take more than 3 hours I guess.
The support hasn't replied me after my repeated attempts which is worrying me. What does this guy want from me?

Comments

• GIANT_CRABGIANT_CRAB Member
    edited April 2014

said: Running server loads above 38

This is okay (as in what the provider said is correct)

said: Anything over 1 is too high

This is bullshit

Wait for reply, pack your luggage and leave.

• @stallion said:
    Anything over 1 is too high

I don't even.. what. Try to get your data back and leave afterwards.

• The problem is that they have already too many negative review threads on WHT. Even if I create a few more in their name it wont hurt them at all.

They aren't even LowEnd. I was paying 11 $ a month for a 2 GB openvz VPS

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited April 2014

8 hours isn't a huge amount of time, especially as you maybe outside of the normal 'office' hours of the provider (and where abuse is involved, you're normally at the bottom of the pile). I'd expect a response within 24 hours, unless you have a contract/SLA that states otherwise.

In terms of getting your sites back up, I'd purchase service elsewhere (preferably somewhere reputable, confirming that you can run what you need on the service you're purchasing), and restore from your own backups until such time as you can get your latest version from the provider.

You did have your own backups, right?

Edit:

stallion said: The problem is that they have already too many negative review threads on WHT. Even if I create a few more in their name it wont hurt them at all.

Did I miss the memo when this approach became a valid course of problem resolution?

• stallionstallion Member
    edited April 2014

I don't have backups. Actually I was in process of migrating to another server. Gladly 90 % of the accounts are already moved.

• I agree with the 38 but 1... no. Move to a host that doesn't feed bullshit.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@stallion said:
    I don't have backups. Actually I was in process of migrating to another server. Gladly 90 % of the accounts are already moved.

Bad planning then matey, I'm afraid. You're just going to have to wait this out and hope the provider decides to let you back onto your VPS.

• wychwych Member

@Nekki said:
    Bad planning then matey, I'm afraid. You're just going to have to wait this out and hope the provider decides to let you back onto your VPS.

Depending what panel it is you could just ask them to backup the image and move it to a new provider to access the data.

• To be fair. It depends what specification your VPS was advertised with and what the AUP stated. How many cores were you allocated on the plan?

• It was advertised as 4 cores.

edited April 2014

Jack said: So can I buy vms from both of you and run at a load of 4 24/7/365?

Their competency is at question since they said anything over 1 is considered high.

Please read my post before even talking nonsense.

• @GIANT_CRAB said:
    Please read my post before even talking nonsense.

Having load of >1 24/7 is considered high if you do not have dedicated cores.

edited April 2014

serverian said: Having load of >1 24/7 is considered high if you do not have dedicated cores.

Can't argue :/

Anyway, how did you even get a load of 38 in the first place? Massive spike in website traffic?

• @GIANT_CRAB said:
    Anyway, how did you even get a load of 38 in the first place? Massive spike in website traffic?

Could of been the:

stallion said: Actually I was in process of migrating to another server

that caused the load of 38.

Thanked by 1GIANT_CRAB
  • Virtovo said: Could of been the:

stallion said: Actually I was in process of migrating to another server

that caused the load of 38.

I think I didn't saw it just now.

The post must have teleported itself up there.

• There were around 90 cpanel accounts hosted on the VPS. I understand I had grown out of it and I needed a better server that's why I was migrating.
    The question is is it okay to suspend clients without warning when I wasn't doing anything illegal.

Will the provider allow me to access the server one more time and download backups?
    I have no idea at the moment because I am not getting a response. What would you do in this situation if you were the provider?

What can I do if he doesn't let me access backups?

• stallion said: The question is is it okay to suspend clients without warning when I wasn't doing anything illegal.

You have to read their ToS

stallion said: Will the provider allow me to access the server one more time and download backups?

You have to wait for their reply.

stallion said: What can I do if he doesn't let me access backups?

They are humans and they have feelings too, sweet talk to them.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@stallion It is ok to suspend a client without warning if it is immediately and currently affecting the performance of other clients on the node. With a load of 38 it is safe to say that it was affecting others.

What happens after that depends on the provider.

• Load 1 if you have 1 core means 100% load in most cases :) Load 38 if you have 1 core means something is definitely wrong (maybe you have been flooded).

I think you should try to contact your hosting provider with all available ways and tell to activate your VPS. However you must said, that such load will never happen again :)
    After activation, connect with SSH and monitor your load, if it will be > 10 - you should dump some output of current state (ps aux, netstat, htop, e.t.c.) to text files and stop your web-server, database server and any other services which can cause such load. Then look at our txt dumps and look at that cause your load. If it's websites - you should see which user/website cause much load at these dumps. If it's database - you should look at binary logs and active userstat. I can look at that's the problem with your VPS, if you want. I am SysAdmin.

• @Jack said:
    So can I buy vms from both of you and run at a load of 4 24/7/365?

I said 1. Not sure how you got 4.

• That is why you never go for VPS if you will do serious business!!!, that story of yours I've heard it 100 times

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited April 2014

UltranetUSA said: That is why you never go for VPS if you will do serious business

That's just silly.

You can do a lot of serious business without creating a load of 38...

• @sleddog said:

+1 on this

• PwnerPwner Member

@sirmbhe said:
    +1 on this

I'm sorry, you aren't the only one but I'm gonna rant on you about this. Instead of quoting some guy and saying "+1 on this" why not be smart and just click the thanks button instead? It's there for this exact purpose so the forums don't get spammed with useless +1's and (y)'s.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • wychwych Member

@Pwner said:

I reaaaaallllllly wanted to just write +1 to your post.

• PwnerPwner Member

@wych said:
    I reaaaaallllllly wanted to just write +1 to your post.

Yeah I realized after posting that I just set bait for all the trolls on this forum. I'll be facing the consequences of my negligence for the next couple hours until they find some other post to troll.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

As already said: most providers will reply within 24 hours. Bumping tickets might put you at the bottom of the queue and delay responses.

Hopefully you will learn to keep your own backups from now on.

I'm sure there are plenty of providers here that would sell you a vps or two to continue your business.

• @Pwner said:

i clicked the thanks button, i am sorry if this +1 bothers you. it is not like i want to spam or anything. i think we are free to speak anything here. even though it is not clever post or anything.

• PwnerPwner Member

@sirmbhe said:
    i clicked the thanks button, i am sorry if this +1 bothers you. it is not like i want to spam or anything. i think we are free to speak anything here. even though it is not clever post or anything.

It's nothing personal. :) I just find it a waste of time to go and do +1 rather than just clicking Thanks.

• Pwner said: I'll be facing the consequences of my negligence for the next couple hours until they find some other post to troll.

+1

Thanked by 1tchen