Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of doing Xen Hosting - Am I crazy? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Thinking of doing Xen Hosting - Am I crazy?

2»

Comments

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

@PytoHost said: I think with 64GB of ram only having 7.2k drives is going to screw you over. Your %wa will go up in no time.

I guess the impact could be reduced if he offered primarily high RAM servers? Say, 2GB+?

• SpencerSpencer Member

@ElliotJ said: I guess the impact could be reduced if he offered primarily high RAM servers? Say, 2GB+?

That would help a little. But it will bottleneck. I can't run more than 48GB of MC servers on a 7.2k HDD without 10%wa. And VPS can use a lot more disk I/O then MC.

• WillOSWillOS Member

I'm a little lost here, what is 10%wa? It seems my setup isn't fit for purpose, can you recommend another host or hetzner server that would fit better?

http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produktmatrix/rootserver-produktmatrix-ex

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited May 2012

@WillOS said: I'm a little lost here, what is 10%wa? It seems my setup isn't fit for purpose, can you recommend another host or hetzner server that would fit better?

I believe 10% is the amount of request that are having to wait before being written, although I'm not entirely sure.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I've read good things about: http://www.100tb.com/dedicated-hosting/

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Managing Xen is easy as long as you are not a slave to SolusVM and actually know how to manage Xen, if you need a Web UI that someone else wrote to tell you whats going wrong, 'your not doing it right' :)

Thanked by 2MrAndroid djvdorp
  • @AnthonySmith said: Managing Xen is easy as long as you are not a slave to SolusVM and actually know how to manage Xen, if you need a Web UI that someone else wrote to tell you whats going wrong, 'your not doing it right' :)

This +1

edited May 2012

Xen is a set it and forget it solution (assuming your clients don't abuse the hell out of CPU and disk I/O). I login to our Xen nodes maybe twice a month if that because they are always running smoothly and as long as you don't need to touch them they are perfectly fine.

As I said before (even for OpenVZ) SolusVM should only be used for the client-side and the automation, after that it's worthless regardless of what virtualization you're using.

• SpencerSpencer Member

@Daniel said: I believe 10% is the amount of request that are having to wait before being written, although I'm not entirely sure.

Yea you are right. Idealy you want it less than 1%. If it gets much higher than 20% your load averages will skyrocket causing super lag.

• WillOSWillOS Member

Any tips on getting it under 1%?

edited May 2012

@WillOS said: Any tips on getting it under 1%?

For Xen PV we've found that 4+ 10K SAS drives in HW RAID10 with at least 8 CPU Cores does the trick.