Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is It OK For A Provider To Write Negative Comments About Another Host? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is It OK For A Provider To Write Negative Comments About Another Host?

Comments

• JacobJacob Member

[sarcasm]I would beat them with a banna[/sarcasm]

If someone did that publicly, In a community like LET or even at WHT then that is practicly throwing your reputation out of the window, People who have business ethics and morals towards others business would not publicly humiliate another provider.

@quirkyquark said: hypothetically, if someone did that to you, how would they get the trouble they were asking for?

Thanked by 1taipres
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I don't see why any company would have any issue with any review being written by anyone good or bad, personal or company as long as it can be backed up and is truthful.

Reviews good or bad should always be welcome when backed up properly, any company that only welcomes good feedback needs to wake up (Not that I am saying that is what is going on) it is how you respond to such reviews that matters in the long run.

But there also needs to be a degree of professional conduct when writing about another company from a company perspective or when using a company specific account to do it as you are no longer expressing a personal opinion at that stage.

If there is one thing I cant stand it is reviews that go along the lines of:

"Poor service, oversold, avoid!"

That tells people absolutely nothing and is usually meant to be damaging because someone is unhappy that their expectations were not met.

Thanked by 1Jeffrey
  • Just before anyone goes overboard, here is the thread that @CVPS_Chris is pissed off about: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1148149

• @AnthonySmith said: "Poor service, oversold, avoid!"

Scam!!!

john/LAKid

Thanked by 1netomx
  • flyfly Member

IMO unless you experienced any trouble first hand, leave it alone.

• @Jeffrey

Sounds like you don't like them. You made them look bad for no reason ...

• premisopremiso Member
    edited April 2012

I am with kbar on that one. If you are writing a review of service, good or bad, about the host in question, then it should be allowed. However, I also feel that these reviews (good or bad) should come with some proof, and that the host should be allowed to comment on it and possibly explain what happened. IE, if you are just a host, who has never had service with sed provider, you should not be writing shit about them coming from 2nd hand places and presenting them like fact. If you have had a service with them and had a bad experience, by all means express it, but if you are just doing it to knock the competition well yea, ban hammer in my opinion.

Given that, there will always be biased opinions and people who hate something for 1 support person (Who may or may not still work there). etc.

--OffTopic--
    As far as Chicago VPS is concerned, I have their 2GB service and have not had any issues whatsoever with it. Been very pleased with it. Given that, I do not have anything really major running on it, so my view may change once I get a good project to host there. My CVPS server has been up since I got it, no downtime, and IO speeds (Which I check weekly) seem to be stable and decent. I have not had to put a support ticket in yet, so my views may change after that. So yea.
    --EndOffTopic--

Would I shy away from CVPS? Not at all because my experiences with them thus far has been great.

• @BassHost No Reason? Just like any other person, I stated my opinion on it based on other comments about them..

• BassHostBassHost Member
    edited April 2012

@Jeffrey Shall I start sharing opinions based of what others have to say about you. I don't want to get into an argument, but CVPS got a good review ... we should be happy for them. I have only seen one negative review about CVPS and that was from a guy who made millions of dollars a day and couldn't afford anything more than a low end box.

You are just angry that this backfired on you ... by other people coming out of the cave and starting to write good reviews about CVPS.

• premisopremiso Member
    edited April 2012

@Jeffrey based on other comments about them..

So you never actually had service with them, just restating what someone else (or multiple people) stated about them? This, in my opinion, is bad business. Especially seeing that you are from another host and just heard that second hand. If you were a customer at one point, that would be a different story.

This alone, I will probably not check out your service and this shows your own character and is not a business I would want to be a customer of. Sorry, that is my honest opinion.

• JeffreyJeffrey Member
    edited April 2012

@BassHost I honestly wouldn't care if someone posted their opinions about my service(s) based on other comments made, what is wrong with that? I don't see why that bothers people. Comments made about them on websites have changed my opinion about them, which resulted me into making that comment.

"You are just angry that this backfired on you by other people coming out of the cave and starting to write good reviews about CVPS." Nope, I'm not angry about that, I'm still angry about the original comment that @CVPS_Chris made to me in a PM.

He made that PM to me and he got what he deserved. End of /rant.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Why not just post the screenshot of the PM then, it is all here say until then (Sorry if you have done so already and I missed it)

• Put it this way. You better have something to backup your claims if the other host decides to take you to court for slander. There's a reason that many commercials say product X, because if they targeted a company directly, and it does happen very rarely, but the product X is their protection from liability that could arise out of a slander suit.

• @FRCorey Are you serious, Court? ROTFL. Why would you go to court for 1 little comment made?

• OK @CVPS_Chris I will start saying positive things about your host... You made both of us look like an ass. So here it goes everyone, Chicagovps.net is the best VPS Host in the world, 100% Uptime great, fast servers. :) :)

• @jeffrey Did you ever have a vps with CVPS?

• @Jeffrey said: 100% Uptime great, fast servers. :) :)

Very positive friend (:

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2012

@Jeffrey said: You made both of us look like an ass

Ive always looked like one ( even though I am not ). Just validating my point that what you did was wrong. We can end it here.

@vmport #WINNING.

• I still don't think what I did was wrong.. But yes, we can end it here.

• Could you answer my question?

@jeffrey Did you ever have a vps with CVPS?

• @jeffrey I was not referring to you particularly, but you make one comment and a company loses a significant sale over that comment and if what you said was not true, then you can be sued for slander. You're free to criticize any company you want, but spreading falsehoods can land you in hot water.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@BassHost said: Could you answer my question?

I hate you! everytime I see your avatar, I want to go fishing :(

Thanked by 1Aldryic
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

If it suits them, absolutely. Business is competitive. If consumers find it immature, the party doing the commenting will lose. I also think it should be done under the name of the company, not personal. If I attack you, you deserve to know I run a competing company and so does the consumer. Ultimately the customer decides who to give their money to.

Now, I'm not saying I would engage in it, but I do regularly tell people (in person) why I'm better than a certain big name host that they always try to compare me to.

• jarland that's a very slippery rope and it's not uncommon in a slander/defamation case for the plantiff to claim a BIG number in terms of damages or loss revenue. Heck this isn't a demation or slander case but look at this non-sense

Limewire was sued for 75 TRILLION dollars...that's more money in the entire world...
    http://www.geekosystem.com/limewire-sued-75-trillion/

So why do they sue for more money than exists? Same reason cops charge people with a tons of serious crap, because they know full well most of it won't stick...but the stuff that does can still hurt. Almost like if you were to be sued for 10 million dollars and the judge knocked it down to 1 million it'd seem like you were catching a break...reality is it's all ridiculous. Courts not fun, and no one should be rushing to go there.

That was a lawsuit for copyright violation. You do not lose in court for telling people why you think you are better than your competition. It is not slander to point out the true and verifiable shortcomings of your competition.

• Aaah, @jarland, you're late dude. One hell of a trollfest earlier, you would've had a blast :P

Thanked by 1jar

Haha I saw...first time in my life I've had no comment!

• @netomx said: I hate you! everytime I see your avatar, I want to go fishing :(

haha if you are near me we can go fishing ... got access to some awesome boats ;)

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@BassHost said: haha if you are near me we can go fishing ... got access to some awesome boats ;)

Time and place, Im there