Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is It OK For A Provider To Write Negative Comments About Another Host? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is It OK For A Provider To Write Negative Comments About Another Host?

Comments

• @CVPS_Chris Slow nodes, overloaded servers, Slow as hell Disk I/O.

@CVPS_Chris said: Have you had service with ChicagoVPS. Our service is friendly and honest.

Self-Promoting FTW. :)

• quirkyquarkquirkyquark Member
    edited April 2012

I think @prometeus nailed it -- when you're representing a company and stating an opinion which might be controversial, you should make it clear if it's you-the-person or you-the-owner/rep speaking (even you-the-customer, if so). IMO its not acceptable for "companies" (via reps) to trash each other on public fora. But just because you work for another provider doesn't mean you should be muzzled.

LEB VPS are a "small biz" world so it's not really a concern, but there are very good legal reasons why folks employed by the big corps have those disclaimers.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@Jeffrey said: Slow nodes, overloaded servers, Slow as hell Disk I/O.

Stats please.

@quirkyquark said: But just because you work for another provider doesn't mean you should be muzzled.

Dont want him to shut up. His post was irrelevant to the thread

• Depends on the situation, I would think. Like I stated before, as well as being a provider, I am also a client of several other providers. Should being a provider prevent me from giving my honest opinion on the services I use?

Granted, one can always claim that if I give a negative review then I am biased... but when you look at some of the people on here (taipres, maounique, lakid that trolls KuJoe).. none of them are providers, and yet they frequently give far worse 'opinions' in all their attempted trolling. Whether or not someone is a provider seems pretty irrelevant.

Many of us providers take part here as individuals. Some of us don't even have the company name in our nicks ( @Francisco, @KuJoe, @Jeffery, @miTgiB, to name a few). We don't post only when there's something related to our respective companies. Should we be silenced from speaking our personal opinions or calling out bullshit? I think not.

• I have had service with ChicagoVPS and it was fairly good service considering the price but I never used support.

I owe Jeffrey for the kindness that he has shown me by offering a sponsored plan and I don't believe that posts like this are justified.

• So, if I was to order a service with a provider, thought it was a bit crap, and was vocal about it. That would be acceptable.
    But if I was also a provider ordering a service, thought it was a bit crap, and was vocal about it. That would be unacceptable?

@ElliotJ said: But if I was also a provider ordering a service, thought it was a bit crap, and was vocal about it. That would be unacceptable?

Do it on a personal account, not a business. Simple as that

@Aldryic I was waiting for you to come out and play. I was about to single the bat signal!

• @CVPS_Chris My WHT account is used for both business and personal, as you can tell from the threads I have commented on there.

• I'm uncertain how this thread will help you, either as a company or as an individual.

@Jeffrey said: scroll down and look at your unhappy clients. ;)

Good job you can post a link when we had node issues. http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/chicagovps-7month-2048mb-openvz-in-chicago/

Scroll down and see how many HAPPY people there are. I tried to find posts about you... but couldnt find any......

• @CVPS_Chris said: Do it on a personal account, not a business. Simple as that

How does it make a difference?

On a forum like this that's pretty relaxed, I'm sure there's no need for separate accounts for business.

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited April 2012

@CVPS_Chris - I think you mean Pony Signal :P

Just giving my two cents on the question you posed, I don't intend to wade into all of the related drama.

• @Damian said: I'm uncertain how this thread will help you, either as a company or as an individual.

Probably an ego boost.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited April 2012

If it's known you're a part of another company, or are posting in that capacity(such as advertising it via your signature), then it's absolutely NOT ok to write negative comments about compeitor. In fact legally that can be seen as slander or defamation. Especially if it's done in a mostly neutral environment such as WHT. I personally find it highly unprofessional, and ridiculous, as your review could be be detrimental to ones business, the bad perception could result in short term and long term loss revenues.

• @taipres said: If it's known you're a part of another company, or are posting in that capacity(such as advertising it via your signature), then it's absolutely NOT ok to write negative comments about compeitor. In fact legally that can be seen as slander or defamation. Especially if it's done in a mostly neutral environment such as WHT. I personally find it highly unprofessional, and ridiculous, as your review could be be detrimental to ones business, the bad perception could result in short term and long term loss revenues.

Your not even meant to have your WHT signature showing your company if its a post regarding another company.

@ElliotJ said: On a forum like this that's pretty relaxed, I'm sure there's no need for separate accounts for business.

Was not on this forum.

• @taipres said: If it's known you're a part of another company, or are posting in that capacity(such as advertising it via your signature), then it's absolutely NOT ok to write negative comments about compeitor. In fact legally that can be seen as slander or defamation.

Incorrect.

In this instance, @Jeffrey was a client of ChicagoVPS, and expressed his negative experience of his services.
    It would only be libelous if he was not a client, and his claims were not justified.

Thanked by 1Roph

@taipres said: Especially if it's done in a mostly neutral environment such as WHT. I personally find it highly unprofessional, and ridiculous, as your review could be be detrimental to ones business, the bad perception could result in short term and long term loss revenues.

Ladies and gents, hit right on the head. Right from Business ethics 101

@ElliotJ said: It would only be libelous if he was not a client, and his claims were not justified.

It was not stated he was a client, and there has been no justification.

• JacobJacob Member

I have services at BuyVM, HudsonValleyHost, OpenITC.

This thread is pretty pointless though, The obvious answer is "No" and if you did then you would just be asking for trouble.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • @Taipres: Truth is an absolute defense to libel/slander/defamation. So @Jeffrey, can we have some stats please?

@Jacob said: The obvious answer is "No" and if you did then you would just be asking for trouble.

Yes <3

• @CVPS_Chris said: It was not stated he was a client, and there has been no justification.

Fair enough, if that's the case.

However, there's several people on here who are providers, yet have VPSs with other companies.
    If one of them, had genuine concerns over their service, then I'd see no reason for them to withhold that information from people.

• @Jacob: hypothetically, if someone did that to you, how would they get the trouble they were asking for?

• @CVPS_Chris said: Just wanted to get opinions on this?

If you mean public comments, then in my opinion -- no. Always treat your competitors with professional courtesy and you will enhance your own public image. Anything negative that you publish about a competitor -- however truthful & honest -- will be misinterested, misconstrued, twisted & bent by others to serve their purpose.

If you want to give a competitor some honest, critical feedback, put it in an email.

Thanked by 2NanoG6 ElliotJ
  • taiprestaipres Member
    edited April 2012

@ElliotJ said: Incorrect.

In this instance, @Jeffrey was a client of ChicagoVPS, and expressed his negative experience of his services.
    It would only be libelous if he was not a client, and his claims were not justified.
    >

A lot of court cases come down to intent. If he rented a VPS from ChicagoVPS(being a competitor) just to slander them, which is obvious malicious intent, he'd lose easily. Either way it looks bad on him. It just really depends, how long he had the VPS, what he did on it, etc...i'm not saying anyone should sue another, as everyone could technically lose in a court room(lost time, money, the stress factor etc...) just think bashing competitors while in a professional capacity is silly. Those who own or work for companies are seen as being in positions of authority somewhat, so consumers tend to listen to what they say.

@sleddog said: If you want to give a competitor some honest, critical feedback, put it in an email.

Great idea. Well said, will be added to my arsenal.