Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Register .RU or .SU without a Russian passport?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Register .RU or .SU without a Russian passport?

Is it possible?

Comments

• emreemre Member, LIR

yes it is possible.. Just give you own passport number and done.

• @emre said:
    yes it is possible.. Just give you own passport number and done.

So I can use a passport from any country?

• emreemre Member, LIR

yes you can use any passport info

• Even an old passport number.

• MrXMrX Member

Even a fake passport number.

... Or so I've heard...

• You can use any passport number

@MrX said:
    Even a fake passport number.

... Or so I've heard...

I guess. There's no way for them to check all domains, and with foreigners... But it could become a problem if you ever have to verify your identity, and it's an important domain.

• What makes you think you need a Russian passport?

• @jakelong said:
    Is it possible?

You don't need a Russian passport for registration most of the time... I registered a ru domain here http://www.domainsfoundry.co.uk/domain-names/register-ru-domain-names/ and I wasn't asked for one...

• @Andrei said:
    You don't need a Russian passport for registration most of the time... I registered a ru domain here http://www.domainsfoundry.co.uk/domain-names/register-ru-domain-names/ and I wasn't asked for one...

Wasn't asked for a Russian passport or a passport full stop?

• @alfieyeoman said:

The question was specifically about a Russian passport and there are no requirements as for a Russian citizenship for either of both domains.

• Full whois protection is enabled on all dot ru domains. It's impossible to disable it until you'll send a real letter to registry company.

You'll need to supply passport information by default, no need for scans and etc. Also it doesn't matter from which country you're. Be careful if you'll fail to proof yourself by providing required scans - you'll simply lose all your domains.

• Keep in mind that some countries do not allow to use a passport/ID(-number) for automated and permanently saved identification with foreign companies/institutions (like for example: Germany).

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • AndreiAndrei Member
    edited April 2014

@alfieyeoman said:

I think a few years back there were some issues the RU Registry had with scammers registering .ru & .su domains so they tightened up, but I think that is no longer the case, I didn't provide any passport or anything, I think it is no longer needed, however the payment and the registrant's address must be the same...

Update:

According to the RU Registry, .ru domains may be registered by anyone, however regarding .su domains "The registration is open to anyone. A Registrant willing to get a SU registration will be required to submit authentic personal data. The SU TLD allows an option to register a domain in national script (IDN)." source: http://nic.ru/dns/domain/en/su.html

• VPNVPN Member

@neroux said:
    What makes you think you need a Russian passport?

I tried to register a .su domain a few months back and was advised by 101domains that I couldn't register it as the passport number I gave them was matched to either UK IPS (formerly UKPA) or EEC and therefore not valid for registration.

• @OkieDoke said:
    I tried to register a .su domain a few months back and was advised by 101domains that I couldn't register it as the passport number I gave them was matched to either UK IPS (formerly UKPA) or EEC and therefore not valid for registration.

http://www.nic.ru/dns/domain/en/su.html states

The registration is open to anyone.

• VPNVPN Member

Oh wow fair enough. Well I still have the $24.95 credit in my 101domains account and the domain is still available so I'll email them now and reference that link and see what they say. Thanks for the heads up.

• tommytommy Member

ahnames much cheaper :)

• @tommy said:
    ahnames much cheaper :)

That's where I just bought one.

Thanks to everyone for responding. You guys always answer my questions.

• @neroux said:
    The question was specifically about a Russian passport and there are no requirements as for a Russian citizenship for either of both domains.

Which is exactly what I said...

• @alfieyeoman said:
    Which is exactly what I said...

You phrased it as a question.