Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raspberry Pi dedicated server? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Raspberry Pi dedicated server?

13»

Comments

• @BassHost said: Yeah I don't see this working out. Your going to end up losing money.

I'm coming to the same conclusion.

• dwilddwild Member

@wiiguy said: i have been trying to get a rasperry pi since the first day they were released and you are talking about getting 10 pieces of them :P

They had nearly no production, soon they will have too much production. Within 6 month you will be able to order as much as you want

Thanked by 1wiiguy
  • BassHostBassHost Member
    edited April 2012

@liam said: Why don't us folk/you guys make your own 'raspberry pi' but tailored as a lowendbox and colocation friendly?

Because it will take like a million freaking ports on switches ... and good switches are expensive.

Plus with a vps everyone can push 1gbit with this you will be doing 10mbit.

This is just one of the problems.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@BassHost said: Because it will take like a million freaking ports on switches ... and good switches are expensive.

Plus with a vps everyone can push 1gbit with this you will be doing 10mbit.

This is just one of the problems.

Maybe just have 10 or less on stock, just to make test ;)

• BassHostBassHost Member
    edited April 2012

nvm

• @BassHost

The raspi's will only need 10-100mbit switches. They don't need top of the range stuff, I'm sure lots of providers have old switches to spare.

• Old switches tend to be power hungry. It would be rather strange - the switch would probably use more power per port, than the reasperry PIs attached to the ports.

• Indeed, I was planning on using a Cisco 3512, which uses 70 watts of power.

• GaryGary Member

Interesting concept, but it'd be pointless other than for the novelty of it. You'd get better performance per $ with a stack of small VPSes on a normal server. Think about what spec you can get for $5/month in a proper VPS. If you then talk about paying a setup fee, why not go with a $15/year VPS?

They'd be a logistical nightmare too, for the reasons already outlined.

I want a few RasPis myself to replace my current XBMC-based HTPCs, and maybe as a fileserver for streaming to the other RasPis, running my home FTP server etc. Because of their limitations you'd pretty much need to be able to lay your hands on them whenever you needed to.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

There's plenty of small datacenter-friendly boxes - they just don't sell for dirt-cheap prices like the RP.

e.g.: http://soekris.com/

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited April 2012

There is also Alix by pcengines.ch
    But for the price you can just get an Atom.

Thanked by 1quirkyquark
  • For the price they charge for many of those, you could easily get a rack mount atom which would likely outperform that.

• @dwild said: They had nearly no production, soon they will have too much production. Within 6 month you will be able to order as much as you want

i hope so :D