Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raspberry Pi dedicated server? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Raspberry Pi dedicated server?

Comments

• AdamAdam Member
    edited April 2012

@ElliotJ it's pretty much luck of the draw. The main factor in an SD cards lifespan is the level of writing. So just avoid the cheap Chinese no-name brands and you should be fine. (They'll have less recovery blocks)

My main concern would be the situation where an SD card dies. Are you guys going to pay remote hands to replace a single SD card? Or are you willing to travel down to the DC just to replace a card?

• SteveSteve Member

I'd be interested in this.

• How about a USB ethernet controller for disk access? One reviewer got 312mbps with http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Gigabit-Ethernet-Network-Adapter/dp/B003VSTDFG/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_b

• JeffreyJeffrey Member
    edited April 2012

I would most definitely purchase one of these if you put it up for sell @Damian. What DC would it be in?

• KuroKuro Member

@Infinity said: I wouldn't trust that on a Raspberry Pi tbh ;p

Accidentally hit the thanks button >_<

@dmmcintyre3 said: How about a USB ethernet controller for disk access? One reviewer got 312mbps with http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Gigabit-Ethernet-Network-Adapter/dp/B003VSTDFG/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_b

That costs almost as much as the Raspberry Pi itself

• interested

• A Raspberry Pi takes up 7.1 square inches of area. This rack tray/shelf thing provides 190 square inches. Should be able to comfortably fit 10-12 units on it.

• Hmm interesting topic. I'm listening :)

• @Damian

Oh by the way, if it's not obvious already, I'm interested :)
    Let me know if/when you get these up and running!

• Interested :).

Maybe you could offer some sort of rent to own plan for the first year and then bring the price down thereafter?

Or you could charge a setup fee which would cover say half the cost of the rpi but lower the cost in the long run, this would make customers more likely to stay with you

• AsimAsim Member

@Damian said: Anyone interested in this?

I am interested in this

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

I'd be interested if you could find a way to get good read/write speeds :)

• dirkdirk Member

@Damian: in your cost calculation don't forget the cost of the IPs...

• Im planning on chain loading my one so it boots from a USB HD, if I can get that working I'll colocate some with 1TB HDs

• @Daniel

That would make an ideal backup server :)

Good luck with your testing

• Would surely be interested in this!

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited April 2012

@Damian do you think you can pull this off? this is really interesting service.

• OS reinstalls would be the only roadblock unless you have some trick up your sleeve.

• sandozsandoz Veteran

very interested :)

• @PytoHost said: OS reinstalls would be the only roadblock unless you have some trick up your sleeve.

Make a robotic arm that takes the SD card, puts it in a computer, then formats it and then puts it back into the Raspberry Pi.

Of course if you put a chain loader on the SD card so it boots from a HD, and also put a recovery image on the SD it would mean that you could just boot into the recovery image and reinstall.

• @PytoHost said: OS reinstalls would be the only roadblock unless you have some trick up your sleeve.

Ready-to-swap SD cards. You can then restore your own data if you want to.

Interested :)

• Of course you could get the SD from Lexar...

“Every memory card does have a theoretical limitation to how many times it can be reformatted (less so on cheaper cards which use a lower quality of Flash Memory), but the number is huge. Unless you format your card 10 times a day, it should last a lifetime. And…of course…if you have a Lexar Professional card, it has a lifetime warranty and can be replaced if anything does go wrong.” - Jeff Cable Lexar Sales Manager.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • @jcaleb said: @Damian do you think you can pull this off? this is really interesting service

Setting up and offering the service? Yes.

As @pytohost mentioned, one of the roadblocks is how to do OS reinstalls. I'm not sure if most people would actually keep them for more than a month, so there would be churn. And this would be churn that I can't automate. I suppose I could pre-load additional SD cards with an OS, then swap them out whenever one of us goes to the datacenter, but that doesn't seem like a very good solution.

• @Damian does it support PXE boot? If yes, then OS reloads could be automated, more or less.

• Mmm...that would be interesting :)

• DamianDamian Member
    edited April 2012

@rds100: It does not. From the FAQ:

Does the device have support for any form of netbooting or pxe?

No. However, it’s such a low power device that we expect it to be left on much of the time!

Which brings up another point: If the OS gets hosed somehow, the only way to reboot it is to physically remove power from the unit. Maybe something like this could be utilized to switch the USB power on/off.

(edit) I meant this. Quite pricey, though.

Thanked by 1StableVDS
  • i have been trying to get a rasperry pi since the first day they were released and you are talking about getting 10 pieces of them :P

• Yeah I don't see this working out. Your going to end up losing money.

• @DotVPS said: I think the raspberry pi's will perform better.

Far better, your probably get higher disk I/O rate too.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Damian said: Which brings up another point: If the OS gets hosed somehow, the only way to reboot it is to physically remove power from the unit. Maybe something like this could be utilized to switch the USB power on/off.

Maybe a warning that you'll reset/reinstall OS every X day. Or, for power, use 1 Raspberry with the GPIO ports to control relays for the power ;)