Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EDIS got worse, 27Hours downtime.... - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

EDIS got worse, 27Hours downtime....

2»

Comments

• cygnicygni Member
    edited March 2014

@cambb said:
    Server has been restored however the transfer speeds are still very poor.

I can attest to that:

Download speed from CacheFly: 7.37MB/s

Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 365KB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 609KB/s

Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 643KB/s

Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 677KB/s

Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 1.23MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 279KB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 488KB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 395KB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 918KB/s

• cambbcambb Member

It now looks back to normal and flying again.

• Uhm, anyone else has IPv6 routing issues? I sent a support ticket yesterday, but haven't heard anything about it from them yet, so I decided to ask here.

• Makenai said: Uhm, anyone else has IPv6 routing issues?

IPv6 here is extremely unstable (issues on a weekly basis) however I don't have any IPv6 issues right now. It's up and working for me since node reboot yesterday.

• We're still facing minor attacks, but it looks like we're back on track.
    Thanks a lot for your support and understanding!

Gerhard @EDIS

Thanked by 2netomx mpkossen
  • cygnicygni Member
    edited March 2014

@ExPl0ReR said:
    We're still facing minor attacks, but it looks like we're back on track.
    Thanks a lot for your support and understanding!

Gerhard EDIS

I believe the newly introduced bandwidth meter is broken or the issue continues. Or perhaps it counts megabits as gigabits and gigabits as terabits. :) Somehow even with the known network issues and poor speed results I have posted here, it is saying I used roughly ~184 GB bandwidth per day the last 3 days. There must be an issue with the node. See message below:

Hello from EDIS,

You receive this email because one of your VPS used up all its bandwidth included in your plan and the service affected has been suspended now.

Server-ID: kvm_#####_#####
    IP-Address: XX.XX.XX.XX
    Included bandwidth: 500 TB
    Bandwidth used: 111 %

Traffic counters are going to be reset automatically at the servers key-date which is (24/04/14) �(DD/MM/YY)
    Your service will become available again automatically.

Please consider upgrading to a larger plan if you require more bandwidth.
    Our staff will be pleased to assist you in such a process.

EDIS provides a bandwidth indicator in your VPS management interface at https://manage.edis.at/vps

Best regards,
    Yours Support Team

--
    EDIS GmbH
    Hauptplatz 3
    A-8010 Graz

http://support.edis.at

Further investigation suggests it seems to be counting every megabit as 100 megabits.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited March 2014

@ExPl0ReR i would like to get an answer. E-Mail is out since days.

• cygnicygni Member

@Infinity580 said:
    ExPl0ReR i would like to get an answer. E-Mail is out since days.

I sent an email on Sunday, Wednesday about the network issues, and yesterday regarding the latest problem with the bandwidth counter error, and no response to any so far. :(

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

I guess I am lucky none of my little vps's at EDIS (AT, UK, NL, SE, IT, PL) havent been affected by this. I would encourage people to be patient, EDIS are pretty good at getting issues resolved (even if it takes a little while sometimes).

Unfortunately they have room for improvement in regards to support and in issue resolving speed however on average (as a multi-year customer) they dont have major issues regularly and given their geographic distribution they are second to non

@cygni

500 TB Bandwidth used: 111 %
    Thats awesome, running the next CloudFlare...

All of mine report what I assume is correct:

I wouldn't know the accuracy given these are just running as data collection nodes for their local area and don't actually transfer that much.

• cygnicygni Member

@SplitIce said:
    I guess I am lucky none of my little vps's at EDIS (AT, UK, NL, SE, IT, PL) havent been affected by this. I would encourage people to be patient, EDIS are pretty good at getting issues resolved (even if it takes a little while sometimes).

Unfortunately they have room for improvement in regards to support and in issue resolving speed however on average (as a multi-year customer) they dont have major issues regularly and given their geographic distribution they are second to non

cygni

500 TB Bandwidth used: 111 %
    Thats awesome, running the next CloudFlare...

All of mine report what I assume is correct:

I wouldn't know the accuracy given these are just running as data collection nodes for their local area and don't actually transfer that much.

In my case, there is 100% certainty that the bandwidth usage in the reported 3 day time frame could not have been used by the only device connected to VPN on the server. The device has combined up/down stream data speed of 1.375 MB/s and it is not connected 24 hours day.

The other potential cause could be that the server was hijacked and used in DDOS botnet attack. However, with great confidence, I am sure it was not the case. I am very security conscious, and also, there is a monitoring software which reported no bandwidth spike or unusual activity. That leaves us with the coincidence of this issue happening at the very same time nodes at SE location are known to be having network problems.

I should note that EDIS support did respond, and reset the meter.

• My experiences with Edis have been mostly negative. Tried both IS and SE and both of them were either DDoS'd constantly or had abusive clients on there, rendering it all pretty much useless for anyone.

• cygnicygni Member
    edited March 2014

I am sure now that the bandwidth meter is absolutely broken. After EDIS reset the VPS bandwidth usage to zero, I rebooted server and ran two speed tests of 500MB and 128MB files:

wget -O /dev/null http://speedtest.wdc01.softlayer.com/downloads/test500.zip
    --2014-03-28 18:56:30-- http://speedtest.wdc01.softlayer.com/downloads/test500.zip
    Resolving speedtest.wdc01.softlayer.com (speedtest.wdc01.softlayer.com)... 208.43.102.250
    Connecting to speedtest.wdc01.softlayer.com (speedtest.wdc01.softlayer.com)|208.43.102.250|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 524288000 (500M) [application/zip]
    Saving to: `/dev/null'

100%[===========================================================================================>] 524,288,000 438K/s in 9m 58s

2014-03-28 19:06:28 (856 KB/s) - `/dev/null' saved [524288000/524288000]

wget -O /dev/null http://chess.cygnitec.com/tablebases/robbobases/robbototalbase/z/Z.7z.001
    --2014-03-28 19:16:07-- http://chess.cygnitec.com/tablebases/robbobases/robbototalbase/z/Z.7z.001
    Resolving chess.cygnitec.com (chess.cygnitec.com)... 2607:5300:60:422f:5555:5555:f083:65e2, 198.50.209.226
    Connecting to chess.cygnitec.com (chess.cygnitec.com)|2607:5300:60:422f:5555:5555:f083:65e2|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 134217728 (128M) [application/x-7z-compressed]
    Saving to: `/dev/null'

100%[===========================================================================================>] 134,217,728 2.43M/s in 97s

2014-03-28 19:17:45 (1.32 MB/s) - `/dev/null' saved [134217728/134217728]

nload -m:

EDIS bandwidth meter: