Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EDIS got worse, 27Hours downtime....
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

EDIS got worse, 27Hours downtime....

NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Hi,

I bought some months ago a vps in sweden with EDIS, everything was working fine but last weeks/month everything turned into shit.

1 Day ago the VPS was 27Hours down, yes 27Hours, first it was a routing issue, then for about 12 Hours a DDOS as they said on there blog. And guess what, today the vps died again.

For your own opinion:

So basically 75% last 7 Days means about 42 Hours downtime.

When you try to contact them per E-Mail you just get mostly the answer "we are working on it", as i had my problems on Iceland some weeks also. And this for days/weeks, basically you need to deal with it. They dont realy care about costumers, so my opinion.

Comments

• MakenaiMakenai Member
    edited March 2014

Yeah... Same, pretty pissed to be honest, but I hope they will fix it on Monday.

On the other hand, this is the first time I've had an issue with them and knowing that they're short on staff I understand them. Before this I had approx. 270 days of uptime and the network was superb.

• souensouen Member

Sorry to hear about the downtimes, sounds frustrating.

I haven't noticed any problems on my IS vps (not monitored 24/7 but accessed regularly). There was a network issue at the DC early on when I got it, they replied to email within 5 hours and the problem was resolved in 1-2 days. Pretty good so far. Maybe as Makenai said, they are still working on the staffing issue.

• Maybe some locations are less lucky than other. My VPS in Germany hasn't experienced any such problems or extended downtimes in the last year.

• My SE KVM had some problems. Had to manually boot it up a few times in the last couple of days.
    They will fix it! Just give it some time.

• MrXMrX Member

None of my ten or so EDIS VPS are currently down. Had a few issues in IS and IM a couple of weeks ago but they seem fixed now.

The VPS in SE is up and running and responding very well.

• skagerrakskagerrak Member
    edited March 2014

@Infinity580 said:
    When you try to contact them per E-Mail you just get mostly the answer "we are working on it", as i had my problems on Iceland some weeks also. And this for days/weeks, basically you need to deal with it. They dont realy care about costumers, so my opinion.

I cancelled all my VPSes with them because of the degrade in network throughput. However, the support was always quite competent and friendly. Then again, I rarely make use of any support from any of my providers.

• cygnicygni Member
    edited March 2014

My KVM/SE is also having issue, and I have had to reboot it, and it also seemed to have been rebooted today, but it looks like though they are working on it.

$ wget -O /dev/null http://speedtest.wdc01.softlayer.com/downloads/test500.zip
    --2014-03-23 21:34:24-- http://speedtest.wdc01.softlayer.com/downloads/test500.zip
    Resolving speedtest.wdc01.softlayer.com (speedtest.wdc01.softlayer.com)... 208.43.102.250
    Connecting to speedtest.wdc01.softlayer.com (speedtest.wdc01.softlayer.com)|208.43.102.250|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 524288000 (500M) [application/zip]
    Saving to: `/dev/null'

100%[===========================================================================================>] 524,288,000 2.71M/s in 3m 27s

2014-03-23 21:37:51 (2.42 MB/s) - `/dev/null' saved [524288000/524288000]

• @Infinity580 BTW, what's your monitoring software? Seem prety nice!

• @jvnadr said:
    Infinity580 BTW, what's your monitoring software? Seem prety nice!

UptimeRobot I think.

• ExPl0ReRExPl0ReR Member
    edited March 2014

Hello guys,

We appreciate your feedback! Yes we had a downtime in Amsterdam, because some hardware broke and no accurate hardware could be retrieved from our Dutch sources.
    We had to fly-in with a spare component in order to be able to restore services.
    All clients affected received a 1-month-free compensation on top of the service(s) affected.

Below you'll find the email we sent-out to the clients affected by the downtime.
    We also work on improving stability in Sweden. Someone is chasing us in Sweden with some really mean attacks, but we already know who that is and we are about to take appropriate measures.

Gerhard

Hello from EDIS,

You receive this email because one of your VPS in the Netherlands was affected from a server-downtime on Friday, March 21, 2014.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the interruption!
    Your NL service was unavailable from Friday, March 21 17:30 to Saturday, March 22 around midday timeframe.

Unfortunately redundant hardware broke and we were not able to retrieve accurate spare-components in Holland.
    One of our staff members flew-in to Amsterdam with the earliest possible flight on Saturday morning, taxiing replacement components to the datacenter. 

First services have been restored after around 18 hours of downtime, further services after Midday and in the early Saturday afternoon-hours.

** As an apology, we added 1 month of free service on top of your affected VRS/KVM **

Best regards,
    Gerhard Kleewein

-- 
    EDIS GmbH
    Hauptplatz 3
    A-8010  Graz
    UID: ATU 64124511
    FN: 308697t
    phone: +43 316 827 500
    fax: +43 316 827 500 777
    http://www.edis.at  <http://www.edis.at/>

This e-mail is confidential and may well also be legally privileged. If you have received it in error, you are on notice of its status. Please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from your system. Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes, or disclose its contents to any other person: to do so could be a breach of confidence. Thank you for your cooperation.

• MakenaiMakenai Member
    edited March 2014

@ExPl0ReR
    Oh thanks a lot on the update about Sweden, though nothing like that was mentioned in the email I received... It actually stated that the issue is fixed, but the mtr shows some abnormal pings.
    http://i.imgur.com/vTGP5RS.png

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@ExPl0ReR 1 Month of free service? i cant see it.

• He was talking about Netherlands and you were complaining about Sweden. Not the same thing?

edited March 2014

@rds100 18Hours downtime and 1 Month free, so i got over 27Hours downtime and nothing.

Do you see the difference? As i said EDIS dont care, btw the thread is about Sweden.

• MakenaiMakenai Member
    edited March 2014

@Infinity580 said:
    ExPl0ReR 1 Month of free service? i cant see it.

I guess we should wait until they fix the issue first, before we can ask for the f

@Infinity580 said:
    rds100 18Hours downtime and 1 Month free, so i got over 27Hours downtime and nothing.

Do you see the difference? As i said EDIS dont care, btw the thread is about Sweden.

Just calm down... Wait until they fix it and after that you can bombard them with complaints... (better not do that altogether) But yeah.. you've got a point...

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited March 2014

At least I guess EDIS does care about their customers, ask how many providers here would fly in their employees on a Saturday morning to replace a spare parts rather than emailing their customers saying: oh we are sorry but this is UPS/Fedex (or other courier's) fault.

In fact the only other one I recalled doing this is ChicagoVPS. I am not a fan of them but I think they deserve their credit in this case.

Thanked by 3Makenai Neoon mpkossen
  • I took the liberty to fix the formatting of @ExPl0ReR his post. Thank you for responding here.

In my personal experience, EDIS has always provided superb support. My servers there have always been very stable. If there is every any problem, it's usually an upstream network issue (Sweden suffers from this, as well as Russia). So, all in all a good experience.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

mpkossen said: it's usually an upstream network issue (Sweden suffers from this

Yes, I know that, been hit by it too, but this is as much as you can do to manage so many locations.
    Everyone knows you have to setup redundancy and EDIS offers a lot of locations at a low price, if your uptime is very important, you either pay for amazon uptime or setup redundancy, the latter being preferred since amazon is not 100% either.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • Hi all! Yeah, I only spotted that this was the Sweden thread after I pressed enter, but decided not to erase my posting again. Sorry for being "off-topic".

We had major issues in Sweden with some attackers who we were able to kick out successfully.
    Whoever feels eligible for a 1-month-free in Sweden, just send me an email to [email protected] (mention your IP please) I will gladly add a month to your plan.

@Infinity50

1 Day ago the VPS was 27Hours down

Not sure how and what you are measuring ... but our services were not offline for 27+ hours.
    I don't exactly remember how many times our staff was forced to reboot, but it was not nice, agree. Are you most likely metering the uptime of se.edis.at ? In case, ... this site has been switched of for 20+ hours because this was one of the targets of the attacks.

@Infinity50 Please send me an email as mentioned above.

@ALL: Please accept our sincere apologies! We do care about what we deliver and we are improving on every possible end. Unfortunately some measures don't kick-in instantaneously, but we have a plan in place and staff is motivated and working on improvements.

Cheers,
    Gerhard

Thanked by 2souen mpkossen
  • bobbybobby Member

Check your own posted image, the weeks except the last happenings says it all..

I have a swedish vps with Edis myself, and noway is the downtime as you claim. For me it has been many short drops. I monitor myself with nagios.

Even with rare happenings like this, Edis is a steal, you get (a lot of) unique locations for pennies, so stop moaning, and live with it or buy from top shelf with price thereafter

@bobby i had months ago problems with Iceland and i got nearly the same response, like we are working on it. So daily outages like 30 Minutes sometimes 2-3 a day, basically it isnt so that i say eeeh 27 Hours i gonna srew edis. It had before already problems.

• bobbybobby Member

@Infinity580 You just confirm what I'm saying with "Iceland" :)

But I do get your frustration. Anyhow, if those locations are so important to you, go elsewhere? (Oh, you can't for LEB/T price, right? :)

@blobby I could to Germany,Swiss,Estland,Italy for example i have there boxes with better uptime. I just paid for it and i wanna use it, basically to lazy to move but it dosent change the point of downtime. Already failover deployed because of downtimes :)

• cambbcambb Member

Hi,
    Would it be possible to report back via this thread when everything is working OK?

• riakeriake Member

I'm only using my vps in sweden to chat on irc and I'ts been almost unusable since Thursday. Multiple reboots and the networks lags as hell now and then. Right now I got 200-1200ms and 10% packetloss.

Thanked by 1Neoon
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2014

Here we go... Sweden is down again.

• MakenaiMakenai Member
    edited March 2014

I've already messaged support and Gerhard about the network issues so I guess they're trying to fix them right now.

@Spirit What monitoring software is that?

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited March 2014

@Makenai said:
    Spirit What monitoring software is that?

http://uptimerobot.com/

• MakenaiMakenai Member
    edited March 2014

Looks like the server got restarted and everything is fine now, the ping is normal. Huge shout-out to the hard working guys at Edis!

• cambbcambb Member

Server has been restored however the transfer speeds are still very poor.