Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$16/Year Xen VPS! $14/Year OpenVZ VPS! @ Jacksonville, FL! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

$16/Year Xen VPS! $14/Year OpenVZ VPS! @ Jacksonville, FL!

Comments

• on the production server? I can't see any 32bit templates for xen

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

They aren't available for clients until I get around to testing them. Sorry for the confusion. :(

• dannixdannix Member
    edited August 2011

looks like they are available now. Need to try it out.

I'm still testing them but so far, aside from some slow IO results, everything looks good. I'm still baffled as to why some templates perform so poorly when writing data (Ubuntu 10.04 32bit = 14MB/s while on the same exact VPS 5 minutes later Ubuntu 10.04 64bit writes at 64-67MB/s).

• Looks like a great deal. Just ordered a Xen :).

• g519g519 Member

I have switched over to the x86 version of debian 5 on my xen. I'll let you know KuJoe if anything weird happens or anything. (and thanks for making them available)

• I've moved to debian 6 32bit. Till now it looks fine. The only problem is slow writing speed as mentioned by KuJoe (20.5 MB/s)

• I hear enabling virtio increases write speeds significantly.

• eLohkCalbeLohkCalb Member
    edited August 2011

(Comment deleted, reason: irrelevant to the topic)

• @Parallax, virtio is for kvm.

circus is correct, virtio is for KVM.

• GrGGrG Member

KuJoe said: We do not oversell because we don't fill our OpenVZ servers "to capacity" like we do our Xen servers due to the fact that Xen does not have burstable RAM like OpenVZ does. Since OpenVZ has burstable RAM we give ourselves at least a 2GB buffer meaning that we take the total RAM of the server, minus it by 2048MB of RAM, and the result is the "usable" RAM, thus we fit less OpenVZ VPSs on the same hardware as our Xen VPSs which leaves more HDD space to allocate per VPS.

Just a clarification: let's say on a node you have 1024 mb "usable ram". Let's say you would be offering 128 mb guaranteed 256 burstable vps. How many of them would you put in those 1024 mb? 4 (this way each customer would be able to use the entire quantity of ram) or 8?

Thankyou

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

I'd hope for their books it'd be 6 - 8. Burst isn't guaranteed RAM, nor should it be treated as such (if it was then call it guaranteed).

Francisco

Thanked by 1Asim
  • GrGGrG Member

Yes, but, it's not XEN, you can't reserve ram to the host.

So, if on a 1024 MB host you sell 3 256 burstable vps, your maximum memory usage would be 768 mb and you'll never die.

If you sell 5 of them, the maximum memory usage would be 1280 but you only have 1024... IMHO with ram + swap you should be able to cover burstable ram + 1/2 gb.

But, with vswap, maybe things are changing...

edited August 2011

For 1024MB of physical RAM we would put 8 128MB plans for our OpenVZ server. In the end, we try to leave at least 2GB of physical RAM so in the even every client used all of their dedicated RAM it would allow some VPSs to use their burstable RAM without having to touch the server's swap. Of course that's a worst case scenario and for every 10GB of RAM we sell there's normally only 4GB of actual usage at any given time.

When we determine the amount of users per node we use the dedicated RAM as the main factor. Burstable RAM is not guaranteed and thus we don't feel it would be a good idea to use that to factor in how many VPSs per node.

• GrGGrG Member

Ok, well, interesting.

Any plan to use vswap in the near future?

Possibly, once all of the CentOS 6 bugs are worked out and SolusVM removes the "beta" title. :)

• GrGGrG Member

Yeah.

Maybe it will dramatically change the way OpenVZ VPSs are sold.

edited August 2011

I'm curious to see how it works out but IMO burstable RAM is one of the few benefits OpenVZ has over Xen and KVM (assuming the server is not overloaded of course).

I've received a few e-mails and PMs on various forums so I just wanted to let everybody know we still have a few promotion codes left for both OpenVZ and Xen (they will expire on Friday).

Check out 96mb.com for some awesome reviews!

• Are there any deals left?

Are you looking for Xen or OpenVZ?

• Xen

edited August 2011

We actually had one unused promotion code for Xen (NEWXEN), I've reset the expiration date for tomorrow so have at it. ;)

• Hello there - I signed up like 10 hours ago and got the order confirmation and welcome e-mails, but have gotten nothing since. No login details or account information - can you please let me know what's going on?

Thanks

• Rolex, it would be helpful if you included some specific information like an order number so he could do a lookup to see what is occurring.

All VPSs are created instantly upon payment. You paid at 3:19AM EST and received your server details at 3:19AM EST. If you are not receiving e-mails from our system you can view the e-mails in the client area under "My Emails".

08/14/2011 03:19    New Server Information
    08/14/2011 03:19    Invoice Payment Confirmation
    08/14/2011 03:17    Order Confirmation
    08/14/2011 03:17    Customer Invoice
    08/14/2011 03:17    Welcome

Also, I would like to point out that during those 10 hours we have been active in our help desk and would have gladly helped you out if you opened a ticket. If you would like for us to change your e-mail address to a different one (no idea why you wouldn't receive emails from Google) we can do that for you also.

• Thanks, I think I figured it out. I had to login to the client area in order to get further details like the IP address, I guess those don't come in a welcome e-mail. Or if they do, for some reason my e-mail provider bounced it.. I'm just a novice user who was hoping to learn the basics of Linux with a good VPS. I got logged in now, thanks :)