Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$16/Year Xen VPS! $14/Year OpenVZ VPS! @ Jacksonville, FL!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

$16/Year Xen VPS! $14/Year OpenVZ VPS! @ Jacksonville, FL!

KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
edited August 2011 in Offers

Happy August from Secure Dragon LLC.! Just wanted to pass along our new promotion. ;)

Budget OpenVZ - O96B
96MB Dedicated RAM
192MB Burstable RAM
5GB RAID1 SAS Disk Space
100GB Bandwidth
1 IPv4 Address
1/2 CPU Core (Shared 1.33GHz)
$5.97/Quarter
$14/Year (Coupon: 14OVZINAUG)

Budget Xen - X96B
96MB Dedicated RAM
256MB Swap
3GB RAID1 SAS Disk Space
200GB Bandwidth
1 IPv4 Address
1 CPU Core (Shared 2.66GHz)
$2.49/Month
$16/Year (Coupon: NEWXEN)

All VPSs Include:
100Mbps Port
99.9% Uptime SLA
1 Hour Response Mission (an automated script posts our average response time on our website)
100% Money Back Guarantee (For 30 days, view our TOS for additional information)
Instant Activation
SolusVM Control Panel

Test IP: 68.67.68.165

Feel free to visit our site for more information (we try to keep our Knowledge Base up-to-date so if you have any questions, check there first).

SecureDragon.net

Comments

• Can you do X96B with 10 GB disk space and 100 GB bandwidth for $16 per year?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Unfortunately we cannot. Maybe in the future if we return to 3.5" SATA drives we could but at this time we're unable to. Sorry.

• This sounds rather nice, how do I know you won't disappear into the sunset with my $16 :P

• @KuJoe: Sorry, I meant to sacrifice 100 GB bandwidth for additional 2 GB disk space. Basically same specifications as OVZ.

• @iKocka : Yea, I'd be up for that kind of split too.

If I got a little box like this, it'd be used to host some low traffic static websites, a redundant DNS, POP server, or some other low bandwidth/low resource server need. 200GB/mo traffic limit for 3GB diskspace seems kind of unbalanced in the sense that at that rate, one could transfer the entire 3 GB of disk space twice per day, 31 days a month, and still have traffic limit left over. I'd rather get a few more GB space allocated to me, and sacrifice some monthly data traffic limit.

@iKocka @rajprakash We would love to offer more disk space but it's just not possible with our current servers without charging more money (right now you can add more disk space at the added cost of $3/year for 1GB) . We are limited by our hard drives and unfortunately it's hard to find cheap 2.5" SAS drives in over 300GB. We've found some Dell 1TB SATA 2.5" drives and we'll be ordering 2 of them to test them out and if so we should be able to offer 5GB of disk space for our X96B plans but we won't be upgrading all of the servers at once though so it will depend on which VPSs we are selling more of.

@maxexcloo It would cost us waaaaay to much money to steal your $16. ;) Right now we have thousands of dollars worth of equipment in a data center that we've got a 6 months contract with. Out of all of our servers that we own, we still have over 7 servers that aren't even turned on right now (even though we're still paying for the bandwidth and power for them) so we don't have to worry about buying more servers for the next month or 2. :)

Any other questions feel free to ask! (Unless it's about the DDOS attack this morning, if so then don't ask, it gave me grey hairs!)

• /me notes to bug KuJoe about blade in Oct

• Any IO/Speed/Geekbench tests?
    Also, any chance you could tell me the pros and cons of OpenVZ and Xen :)

• dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=16k count=16k conv=fdatasync; rm test
    268435456 bytes (268 MB) copied, 5.28005 seconds, 50.8 MB/s

DL from my 123systems VPS is around 5MB/s

• iKockaiKocka Member
    edited August 2011

@KuJoe: It doesn't make sense. You also have SAS disks for OVZ plans. So you do oversell?

edited August 2011

We do not oversell because we don't fill our OpenVZ servers "to capacity" like we do our Xen servers due to the fact that Xen does not have burstable RAM like OpenVZ does. Since OpenVZ has burstable RAM we give ourselves at least a 2GB buffer meaning that we take the total RAM of the server, minus it by 2048MB of RAM, and the result is the "usable" RAM, thus we fit less OpenVZ VPSs on the same hardware as our Xen VPSs which leaves more HDD space to allocate per VPS.

It's a bit confusing but we've spent hours and hours and hours working on spreadsheets to make it work.

• g519g519 Member

Any reason the xen ones only have 64 bit templates? Could save ram with 32 bit ones, and with 96 megs, every little can help.

Stacklet (the company we purchased our templates from) specifically advises against running a 32bit guest on a 64bit host. We've never had an issue in the past but this is our first time with SolusVM and Stacklet templates so we don't want to do anything that might jeopardize the stability of the node/VPSs.

• is 32 bit template available on openvz?

• There is 32 bit templates on OpenVZ.

• @KuJoe did I read correctly youre giving 200gb of transfer in the Xen VPS and in OpenVZ youre giving 100gb.

Are you overselling the bandwith by any luck or did you just got a better deal on bandwith?
    If I remenber correctly sometime ago you asked if the LEB community prefered an oversold plan or guarantied resources.

Please take no offense on the question, I just find it a bit intriguing.

•  Timing cached reads:   11600 MB in  2.00 seconds = 5811.97 MB/sec
     Timing buffered disk reads:  294 MB in  3.02 seconds =  97.43 MB/sec

@thekreek No offense taken. The reason you get more bandwidth on our Xen plans is because they are more expensive. ;)

• @KuJoe: That's why you need to enable pygrub and use 32 bit kernel for 32 bit templates. You have detailed instructions at Stacklet.

• I'm also awaiting debian 6 x86 template.
    @KuJoe did you have time to look my comment on http://v3.lowendtalk.com/discussion/22/why-are-dd-results-dependant-on-os#Item_11

@iKocka I understand that but why would they specifically say to run the 64bit version? I'm using pygrub for other templates as per their direction but when it comes to 32bit templates they say "if you are on 64-bit hardware, use a 64-bit template". Any idea why they would say that? I personally would rather run a 32bit OS myself.

@dannix Yes I saw your comment, is that what breaks the /init? I can't find a fix for that and the 100% CPU peg makes the VPS extremely slow and impacted the rest of the node (not to mention not getting an IP from SolusVM when it's built, but this can be set manually by each client). :(

I'll continue to look into these issues and hopefully find a resolution shortly. Since we have working templates at the moment though I'm working on other things at the moment so no ETA right now.

• @KuJoe, what do you mean with breaking the /init? I've successfully upgraded to debian 6 with:

sed -e 's/lenny/squeeze/g' -i /etc/apt/sources.list
    aptitude update
    echo 'APT::Install-Recommends "false";' >> /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01custom
    echo 'APT::Install-Suggests "false";' >> /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01custom
    aptitude install aptitude
    aptitude full-upgrade
    aptitude clean

I've also removed unnecessary getty processes (they were there also in debian 5 template)

sed -e 's/\(^[1-6].*getty.*\)/#\1/' -i /etc/inittab
    init q
    reboot

After reboot system came up and till now I dont's see any problems.

This is maxing out the CPU, there is a work around, but requires the clients to edit the rc.local file to fix it, otherwise it keeps one of the server's core's maxed out.

root       217 94.9  0.4   2776   444 ?        Rs   09:59   7:34 /bin/nash /init

• iKockaiKocka Member
    edited August 2011

@KuJoe: "Regarding the last point, some people prefer to run 32-bit templates on 64-bit hardware to save RAM. While this is possible it is highly recommended that you use a 32-bit kernel in this case by overriding the solus default kernel."

This can be done with pygroub as mentioned in previous post. Problems will appear only if you are going to run 32 bit templates on default 64 bit SolusVM kernel.

I'm still not comfortable that they specifically say to run 64bit OSes on 64bit hardware. There has to be a reason they say that. I have 32bit templates installed though but I'm hesitant to release them to our clients until I get some answers. :(

• dannixdannix Member
    edited August 2011

Ok, the upgraded version doesn't seem to have problem with init

xfl:~# ps aux 
    USER       PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
    root         1  0.0  0.8   8352   800 ?        Ss   09:09   0:00 init [2]

• Don't take it the wrong way but I'm not going to sign up until I am able to run Debian 6 32 bit :P

• @KuJoe: Just curious, have you tried asking Stacklet for the reason of making such a recommendation in regards to the 32bit templates?

I have put the 32bit templates on the server for testing but I also have a ticket open with Stacklet waiting for their reply. :)