Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Searching Private torrent and private proxy allowed vps provider - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Searching Private torrent and private proxy allowed vps provider

2»

Comments

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited April 2012

@Wintereise said: Another thread, derailed. Job well done, @taipres. Gg.

Maybe you should scroll up and take note of who actually derailed the thread? (hint: it wasn't me) thanks.

• Now taking bribes for controlled usage of 'immature' and 'hypocrisy' for the raffle.

• DashKillerDashKiller Member
    edited April 2012

If OP is still reading, go for OVH/Kimsufi. They're great for seedboxing. If you're French or Swiss you can actually get unlimited bw on the Kimsufi 2G which is on a 100/100mbit for 15€/month. :) (Oh and if you're Swiss you're not paying VAT either :3)

• debugdebug Member

+1 to ovh/kimsufi; they ask a lot for identification but in the end it's all justified.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Dare I say VPS6.net doesn't seem to mind it, and that gigabit sure doesn't hurt. Granted, I'm not abusive with it so I don't know how much they'd take of it.

• I just remembered, BuyVM are alright with private torrenting, I think?
    @aldryic or @francisco should be able to confirm it though.

• On certain ranges, aye. When in doubt, just open a ticket to see if your assigned IP is safe to torrent from... worst case scenario, we assign you a new IP :P

• Is there a particular speed that customers should be capping themselves to when using
    Torrents on LEB providers ? I think high speeds probably equals high disk i/o which equals abuse.. so what is safe? 1MB/sec ? 500K/sec ? more?

• @JoeMerit hopefuly the OP will be torrenting through his VPN (i.e. the data will never hit the disk, just the wire).

• @JoeMerit said: so what is safe? 1MB/sec ? 500K/sec ? more?

Depends on your specs IMO, if you have 10TB bandwidth you need to be using more then 500K/s.

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited April 2012

@Taylor said: Depends on your specs IMO, if you have 10TB bandwidth you need to be using more then 500K/s.

I don't think you understand what I was getting at. Lets say you are uploading a torrent at 100mbit/sec off a vps, that is going to probably rape the disk array on the VPS node and make the provider angry. I was wondering what a provider would tolerate.

uploading at 10 mbit/sec might still use a lot of disk i/o, more than the provider would like possibly. Maybe 10 is okay?

• @JoeMerit said: Maybe 10 is okay?

How about you run ioping at idle and at various upload rates to figure out how much is too much ;)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@JoeMerit said: Is there a particular speed that customers should be capping themselves to when using

Torrents on LEB providers ?

It depends on the provider. For BuyVM we always state 'be considerate of your neighbors' and we WILL punish people that are ripping 20MB/sec for hours on end. I can understand if you just got some really awesome peers and you download a couple gigs in no time, it's another thing when you're on a seeding spree and your rtorrent is gobbling a full core as well.

Francisco

• @JoeMerit said: Is there a particular speed that customers should be capping themselves to when using

Torrents on LEB providers

The number of torrents also matters. The thing with torrents is that you have people requesting random parts of a large file all the time -- it's this random I/O that's hard on the disk. Multiple torrents == even more random I/O and even more CPU.

I also consider the kind of LEB I'm on -- a $15 BuyVM 128 merits a lot more good-neighborliness than a $7/mo. Xen HVM, even if both have a gigabit uplink port. cpuhog is also nice if you're going to be leaving rtorrent on for some unattended seeding.

• Well!
    Interesting thread, i was just thinking about building a "lowend" private torrent download/seedbox myself.
    About lowend hosters: i don't really know about who is allowing torrenting (so actually, taipress-s site feature, which is already linked, can give some starting point, what a waste he is such a kid), but for a 15-30$ a year i guess the following things should work:
    - rtorrent with 5-10 Mbit throttle (5 if down+up, 10 if only down or up)
    - at most 3-4 torrents active, each with about max 15 peer (so about 60 concurrent connection at most).
    - also something should be done with disk cache to lower disk i/o, if someone finds some details about this configuration for rtorrent, please post it.
    - most important: never use public trackers!

Please post your ideas about this config!

P.S.:
    If you go with kimsufi, you don't have to worry about these things, just let it seed