Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Europe SSD VPS with DDoS Protection. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Europe SSD VPS with DDoS Protection.

2»

Comments

• n0myn0my Member

I am not against RamNode. I have heard very good things about it. I might even try them in future.

I just don't think it will suit me. I have had my server nullrouted many times before for having DDoS over 10Gbps with another UK provider. I am not the guy who will unban if skiddies threaten to DDoS.

Thanks for helping.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

n0my said: Please go have a look, you are a provider you should know how far ddos business is going.

I think we have a pretty good grasp on it. :) Like I said - 95% of our filtered IP clients have no issues with 10Gbps filtering (and it's a popular add-on). My main point was that I don't see anyone arguing that 10Gbps protection is "nothing", although certainly there are a few people who need more than that. Our goal is not to nullroute, nor is that "good" for us. What's good for us is keeping people online and happy.

I just wouldn't rely on the advertised booter magnitude on HF to determine what kind of protection you need. Regardless, best of luck wherever you end up.

• @n0my said:
    I am not against RamNode. I have heard very good things about it. I might even try them in future.

I just don't think it will suit me. I have had my server nullrouted many times before for having DDoS over 10Gbps with another UK provider. I am not the guy who will unban if skiddies threaten to DDoS.

Thanks for helping.

Sure, I just though you were a guy that though 10 Gbps Protection is very weak, it's actually very good for the majority of us who need DDoS Protection. If you got hit with a > 10 Gbps DDoS then you have valid reasons for not using RamNode or any other provider that offers protection up to 10 Gbps. Good luck there :)

Thanked by 1n0my
  • n0myn0my Member

Nick_A said: Our goal is not to nullroute, nor is that "good" for us. What's good for us is keeping people online and happy.

I am just curious, what is the point of nullroute?

The way I see it: nullrouting == downtime
    And definitely: nullrouting != ddos protection
    IMO

• CSharpCSharp Member
    edited March 2014

When you get a DDoS Attack and it takes your server offline, it will also affect the entire network, affecting other clients. When an IP is nullrouted, your IP is null routed ("Taken offline") at upstream providers, so the attack doesn't hit the Datacenter Network, keeping your IP offline, and keeping the remaining clients online.

n0my said: I am just curious, what is the point of nullroute?

The way I see it: nullrouting == downtime And definitely: nullrouting != ddos protection IMO

Right - no one I'm aware of is marketing nullrouting as DDoS protection. In our case - you can get hit with ~10Gbps consistently without issue. That is more than enough for most people. Anything over 10Gbps is much more expensive to absorb, so it's either pay out the big bucks or accept a temporary null if you're facing over 10G constantly. Think of it as protection for the vast majority of people, but not for everyone.

The reason nullroutes are necessary in some cases is as @Spenzert pointed out: you being attacked at such a magnitude can disrupt service for others.

• n0myn0my Member
    edited March 2014

So it's ultimately good for the provider. ;)
    It doesn't help the client who is getting attacked.

Peace.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited March 2014

The nullroute is a self protection for the provider and protection for the rest of their customers.

In the end if the DDoS is larger than the bandwidth the provider has bought, he either has to face packet loss and screw the service for all of his customers, or just nullroute this one customer and save the rest. This could be solved by buying more bandwidth, but it's not exactly cheap and someone has to pay for it in the end.

• manacitmanacit Member
    edited March 2014

@n0my said:
    So it's ultimately good for the provider. ;)
    It doesn't help the client who is getting attacked.

Peace.

What's ultimately good for the provider is selling a service that creates as much value as possible for the end user, which is what RamNode does extremely well with their service. DDoS protection aside, Nick runs an incredibly tight ship with some of the best performing and reliable VPSes around these parts. The DDoS protection is icing on the proverbial cake, it's incredibly cheap for what it provides - there are few DDoS protection services at this price level that will absorb even a 10gbit attack without resulting in a nullroute. Honestly, as has been said, 10 gigabits of protection is enough for the majority of people - those "12gbit" booters you can buy rarely hit their advertised level, it takes a much more serious attack to get you nulled.

If all you need is protection for a website, why not use CloudFlare or something similar? They can take a bigger DDoS (with paid service) than pretty much anywhere else, and can even improve the performance of your site. If you're looking for something that can take a 50 gigabit DDoS for $10 a month, you should look elsewhere.

• n0myn0my Member

Thanks rds100. Again nicely explained.

Manacit, you forgot to read opening post ;)

• @Nick_A said:
    Thanks for the recommendations guys.

Who would argue that?... :) I understand that attacks are growing in magnitude these days, but 10Gbps is enough for probably 95% of the clients who use our filtering. So for 95% of the people who sign up, it is actual protection. Certainly it's not a guaranteed nullroute unless you're regularly facing 10Gbps+ attacks. If that's you, then you do need a much more specific solution. We can technically provide it, but it would cost a lot more than our standard $5/IP.

What's your policy on NTP attacks? SeFlow e.g. tries to fight it on the router level, had some problems with NTP attacks way over 10gbps. Also, is staminus still leaking a lot of attack traffic and does it affect others on the same node when it does?

The leaking is much better now, although we do see a few more false positives at the moment. We don't really have a policy on NTP - not sure what you mean perhaps.