Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Europe SSD VPS with DDoS Protection.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Europe SSD VPS with DDoS Protection.

Hello guys,

I am looking to move my OVH vps to another host because of slow IO.
Currently I'm searching for VPS providers in europe area NL, FR, UK specifically. Who should have DDoS Protection and SSD storage.

I definitely need ddos protection as the website hosted will be used for unbanning players off game servers. Some skiddies who don't get unbanned for whatever reason tend to get aggressive and launch ddos attacks. With ddos amplification on the rise... its not hard to bring the webserver down to its knees. I am not into Cloudflare, it tends to slow down the website. I don't use much bandwidth.. its about 50-70GB monthly total bandwidth usage.

I currently pay £20 a month.

Any recommendation would be appreciated :)
Thanks!

P.S. If you are a provider that doesn't have DDoS protection and you are going to ask why I need it or you don't accept client who are prone to ddos. Please kindly get off this thread. I am not looking such providers in first place. DDoS protection is getting more popular.. you might want to invest in some.

Comments

• PwnerPwner Member

Online.net should be good.

• RamNode @Nick_A has DDoS protected SSD VPS in NL.

• @Pwner online.net don't have VPSs... But they're good.

• PwnerPwner Member

@pbalazs123 said:
    Pwner online.net don't have VPSs... But they're good.

Ah my mistake. I just assumed that since many people prefer them for hosting in the EU that it wouldn't hurt to bring them up.

• +1 for Ramnode, very reliable provider & you would be amazed with I/O on their SSD cached vps even.

• n0myn0my Member

I don't see DDoS protection mentioned anywhere on RamNode's website. Where can I find information on that?

• @n0my +++++ for Ramnode

They still have the IRC33 coupon running. You can have a decent sale now.

• @n0my You can add it optionally at the check out.

Thanked by 1n0my
  • @n0my said:
    I don't see DDoS protection mentioned anywhere on RamNode's website. Where can I find information on that?

Knowledgebase link: https://clientarea.ramnode.com/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=85

Thanked by 1n0my
  • I guess you can try some 3rd-party VPS in OVH. I mean someone buy dedicated and provide you with VPS there :) I think there are plenty of such hosts already.

• n0myn0my Member

@Profforg said:
    I guess you can try some 3rd-party VPS in OVH. I mean someone buy dedicated and provide you with VPS there :) I think there are plenty of such hosts already.

Sure, but will they have SSD? OVH's DDoS protection is top.

• ProfforgProfforg Member
    edited March 2014

@n0my said:
    Sure, but will they have SSD? OVH's DDoS protection is top.

Why not? It depends on host. You should ask each one for this.

• n0myn0my Member

@Profforg said:

Do you have any ovh resellers in mind?

• ProfforgProfforg Member
    edited March 2014

@n0my said:

No, i don't remember anyone with English website for now. Most of them are small and unknown. Because it's just resell :)

I guess you'll find many offers if you create a topic here 'Searching for OVH reseller (VPS)'.

• @n0my said:

web-project.co.uk & serversub.com but they do not offer SSD VPSes

MyCustomHosting & BeastVM are also with OVH but in Canada only.

Thanked by 2n0my Floris
  • n0myn0my Member

For RamNode, it only protects against 10Gbps.. anything over than that results in nullroute... and I hate nullrouting... that just means the skiddy won... nullrouting is not ddos protection... its just like pulling the plug.

• @n0my said:
    For RamNode, it only protects against 10Gbps.. anything over than that results in nullroute... and I hate nullrouting... that just means the skiddy won... nullrouting is not ddos protection... its just like pulling the plug.

You want like unlimited DDOS protection?

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • @n0my so how much should they protect against? 100Gbps? 1000Gbps? 2349078230527Gbps?

Everything has a limit. At least they are openly stating what their limit is.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

If you are looking for good protection over 10gbps and you'd like to avoid OVH, than you should up your budget to at least 10 times of what you were willing to spend. Or use Voxility, however plenty of people doubt their actual mitigating skills.

• n0myn0my Member
    edited March 2014

rds100 said: @n0my so how much should they protect against? 100Gbps? 1000Gbps? 2349078230527Gbps?

Everything has a limit. At least they are openly stating what their limit is.

Dont get me wrong. I am not criticising any provider here.

I think protection similar to OVH that does NOT nullroute or crap like that will be good. I think 10Gbps is on lower side. Some would even argue 10Gbps is nothing. Nullrouting is NOT ddos protection. Its quite the opposite... DDoS protection means I wont get downtime... nullrouting guarantees downtime. Hope you can see what I'm trying to say and what exactly I'm looking for.

I just don't want a nullrouted webserver just because of an amplified skiddy attack. I have had such dedicated server for our gameservers in past. Had to leave them.

• And I guess 10Gbps will be enough to hold on against script kiddies.

• PetaByetPetaByet Member
    edited March 2014

@n0my said:
    Dont get me wrong. I am not criticising any provider here.

>

I think protection similar to OVH that does NOT nullroute or crap like that will be good. I think 10Gbps is on lower side. Some would even argue 10Gbps is nothing. Nullrouting is NOT ddos protection. Its quite the opposite... DDoS protection means I wont get downtime... nullrouting guarantees downtime. Hope you can see what I'm trying to say and what exactly I'm looking for.

>

I just don't want a nullrouted webserver just because of an amplified skiddy attack. I have had such dedicated server for our gameservers in past. Had to leave them.

Yeah, ok, so if a web host's total ddos protection capacity is 100Gbps, and it receives a 200Gbps ddos attack that makes the network unresponsive, does it still mean "DDoS protection means I wont get downtime".

• n0myn0my Member

nstorm said: And I guess 10Gbps will be enough to hold on against script kiddies.

Could be enough but it depends on the type of skiddy... some may have more money to waste on ddos and I'd be offline.

Is there an option to disable nullrouting on RamNode? If not, its not for me.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited March 2014

@n0my even spamhaus went offline and they have tons of money to spend on DDoS protection.

Now to your original problem. If OVH's DDoS protection is good for you and all you need is better IO you can consider getting the lowest VPS plan from OVH, installing nginx on it and reverse proxying your site to a better SSD powered VPS somewhere nearby.

Thanked by 2n0my DalComp
  • n0myn0my Member

rds100 said: Now to your original problem. If OVH's DDoS protection is good for you and all you need is better IO you can consider getting the lowest VPS plan from OVH, installing nginx on it and reverse proxying your site to a better SSD powered VPS somewhere nearby.

I like this idea. So the attack wouldn't make it to ssd powered VPS? I haven't used reverse proxying from nginx before but the current website is hosted on nginx server.

• @n0my yes if it's simple packet hammering to the website IP it would all go to OVH.
    Now if it's something application specific, like submitting thousands of requests per second to your website, these will be relayed to the second VPS which should be powerful enough (CPU, RAM and IO speed wise) to handle it.

Thanked by 1n0my
  • n0myn0my Member

Nearly every ddos I have received were just packet hammering.. Contents of those packets were just random data.. So this might work for me. Thanks!

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

n0my said: Some would even argue 10Gbps is nothing.

Who would argue that?... :) I understand that attacks are growing in magnitude these days, but 10Gbps is enough for probably 95% of the clients who use our filtering. So for 95% of the people who sign up, it is actual protection. Certainly it's not a guaranteed nullroute unless you're regularly facing 10Gbps+ attacks. If that's you, then you do need a much more specific solution. We can technically provide it, but it would cost a lot more than our standard $5/IP.

• n0myn0my Member

Well I wouldn't want to argue for that but since you asked, have you tried visiting this hack forum? I want to go in detail but I wont because it will only affect providers here...

These "stress testers" start with MINIMUM 12 Gbps and go all the way up to 30-50 Gbps.
    Some are even claiming 100-200 Gbps. I have never bought these stress testers before but I was pointed at this when I was trying to investigate into the ddos.

Please go have a look, you are a provider you should know how far ddos business is going.

I know nullrouting is good for you as a provider... But as a client, I'd rather tank it.

I am done with this thread, rds100 provided me with a good solution. I can use OVH's 480 Gbps protection and at the same time have an ssd vps which can serve through nginx reverse proxy.

Btw, did you really thanked dalcomps post where he said "unlimited ddos protection" lol... I don't feed trolls.

Peace.

• @n0my said:
    These "stress testers" start with MINIMUM 12 Gbps and go all the way up to 30-50 Gbps.
    Some are even claiming 100-200 Gbps. I have never bought these stress testers before but I was pointed at this when I was trying to investigate into the ddos.

That's a marketing strategy, the power is divided by all clients/lammers/skids who bought it, you will never get the minium power they promess, I'm almost sure. Also, most of these "stress testers" use hacked servers to initate DDoS Attacks, sooner or later they will get terminated for sending junk traffic. Like @Nick_A said, "10Gbps is enough for probably 95% of the clients who use our filtering", I have a RamNode NL DDoS Protected IP and it survived to all DDoS attacks I got.