Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowEndCash??
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowEndCash??

geekalotgeekalot Member
edited March 2014 in Help

Let's say you have a decent OpenVZ VPS in an "exotic" location (Australia or Panama, for example) with decent specs:

4 Cores

4TB bandwidth

300GB disk space

What are some legal things you could/would do with it to make some money?

What would YOU do to make money with a decent OpenVZ VPS in exotic locations?
  1. Listed some generic options, but looking for specific comments, if possible71 votes
    1. Game-related?
      18.31%
    2. Adult-related?
      15.49%
    3. Content re-purposing?
        4.23%
    4. Nothing legal comes to mind
      61.97%

Comments

• GunterGunter Member
    edited March 2014

Why does it have to be exotic? Does it even matter if you're only willing to explore legal opportunities?

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited March 2014

@darknyan said:
    Why does it have to be exotic? Does it even matter if you're only willing to explore legal opportunities?

@darknyan
    lol ... just lol. I knew that would put a damper on things but this just made me ROFLMAO

• ndelaespadandelaespada Member, Host Rep

he's right!

4TB in Panama, that's gotta by pricey at a decent speed..

• @ndelaespada said:
    he's right!

@ndelaespada, is it that bad? You're telling me there are not legal options that are worth the effort??

there may be, but is it worth the extra cost? most carriers in Panama go through MIA anyways..

• @geekalot said:
    ndelaespada, is it that bad? You're telling me there are not legal options that are worth the effort??

Tor hosting brings in good money. Just always ensure a claim of plausible deniability when they come to arrest you for hosting a carding forum.

• Edit: I added a basic poll. It probably needs more options so I'm looking for suggestions.

if it's for illegal stuff, carriers in Panama do get abuse complaints and react, Panama is not haiti..

• souensouen Member

It depends on the location, finding something unique about the location and go from there. If it were say, CH with decent data protection laws then offer encrypted mail, chat or similar services. Although, at the moment I can't think of anything to do on AU and PA vps that can't be done in other locations. Game servers, cdn ... the usual popular choices.

edited March 2014

@souen said:
    ... offer encrypted mail, chat or similar services.

>

@souen, offer encrypted services on OpenVZ, which itself can't have an encrypted filesystem?

• Provide VPS to people in Panama and nearby.

• I love how the majority did vote "Nothing legal comes to mind".

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • @ricardo said:
    Provide VPS to people in Panama and nearby.

@ricardo, "slabbing" with OpenVZ as the host node?

• @geekalot , it sounds like that would help in the "making cash" part.

edited March 2014

@ricardo said:
    geekalot , it sounds like that would help in the "making cash" part.

@ricardo, I was more wondering if you can really actually run virtualization on top of OpenVZ?

Who has actually tried that? I am curious.

• No idea, I just buy them! That's one rabbit hole I don't need to go down.

• souensouen Member

geekalot said: @souen, offer encrypted services on OpenVZ, which itself can't have an encrypted filesystem?

Client-side encryption? j/j Yeah, I forgot about the OpenVZ part. VPN? Server monitoring? Url shortening service?

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2014

Hmm, I personally as a customer would use a Panama server, as I would use a US server. :P

//Uploads website.

• @FtpIt_Radi said:
    Hmm, I personally as a customer would use a Panama server, as I would use a US server. :P

//Uploads website.

@FtpIt_Radi,

• LAMP/app stack with Control Panel?
    • Some sort of virtualization on top of Openvz?
    • something else?
  • You can offer VPN in Australia or ad-blocking DNS, this is probably important for people in Asia so they don't get higher latency. If connectivity in Panama is good with LatAm then u can offer DNS there too, or CDN kind of service.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2014

@geekalot said:

• something else?

If a VPS: Tuxlite

If a dedi: OpenVZ + Solus Slave

Thanked by 1geekalot
    edited March 2014

It is amazing how skewed the poll results are towards the dark side :-)

I didn't realize you can't edit polls, otherwise I would have added some of the options presented like DNS, VPN, etc (even though that would skew the poll results even more).

@elwebmaster: thanks. Ad-blocking DNS sounds interesting - are people really willing to pay for this?

@FtpIt_Radi: thanks. I was thinking old faithfuls like HowToForge or a bitnami stack, but your suggestion is nice.

I gotta keep thinking about the value proposition & ROI ... $$$. And legal, passive income is key. :-)

OR, something educational, that "gives back" to the next generation.

Interesting ideas overall

• WorldWorld Veteran

Use for encrypted VPN service.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • @World said:
    Use for encrypted VPN service.

@World: thanks. But again, how secure is an "encrypted" VPN service running on OpenVZ (where the filesystem itself isn't encrypted). I could see this working on KVM with LUKS all day long, but it would be an "insecure, encrypted VPN" on OpenVZ, wouldn't it?

edited December 2014

Bumping this thread as I now have some additional hardware available to make "LowEndCash"

What LowEndCash options would you suggest with either of these two servers:

Server1

• Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3 @ 3.40GHz (4 Cores/8 Threads)
    • Passmark "CPU Mark" = 9734
    • 24 GB RAM
    • 2 x 2TB HD (WD2003FYYS) in Hardware RAID1
    • Gigabit port
    • Unmetered bandwidth

Server2

• Intel Xeon L3426 @ 1.87GHz (4 Cores/8 Threads)
    • Passmark "CPU Mark" = 3982
    • 16 GB RAM
    • 2 x 2TB HD (WD2003FYYS) in Hardware RAID1
    • Gigabit port
    • Unmetered bandwidth

Something legal (and preferably automated, including any commercial or opensource PHP script, for example). NO JingLing/HitLeap/Spamming. Adult stuff OK.

I may have some surprises for the person with the best suggestion.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: I also have 200+ domain names 1 - 20 yrs old that I can leverage for branding purposes.

• Add them to the lowendspirit pool of servers. @AnthonySmith

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • @geekalot location? do you have several IPs?

:)

• geekalot said: Who has actually tried that? I am curious.

It doesn't work - I have tried! KVM won't work due to the way openvz does networking.

Thanked by 1geekalot