Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Solusvm disk partitioning
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Solusvm disk partitioning

stallionstallion Member
edited March 2014 in Help

sup

I bought a dedicated server and wanted to install solusvm. But it requires disk partitioning. The Solusvm staff told me I will have to do it myself, they wont do it.
My server comes with a 1 TB disk. Can you guys tell me an easy way to make this partition as required by solusvm? I looked everywhere on google but couldn't find a noob friendly tutorial on this.
If I have to pay someone to do it how much should I pay?

ty

Comments

• I seriously hope you're not trying to become a new provider here.

• marcmmarcm Member

What type of virtualization are you going for?

• Partitioning
    Xen PV/HVM Host

/ 80GB+ (XEN templates & iso's will be stored in /home/solusvm/xen)
    SWAP 4GB max (Virtual servers won't use the host swap)
    Logical Volume Group (LVM) remaining space (Logical Volume Group Only, SolusVM will create the logical volumes for the virtual servers inside this group)

Please Note: The PE Size should be set to 32M not the Default of 4M
    KVM Host

/ 80GB+ (KVM templates & iso's will be stored in /home/solusvm/kvm)
    SWAP 4GB+ (Virtual servers may use host swap if there is a real memory shortage)
    Logical Volume Group (LVM) remaining space (Logical Volume Group Only, SolusVM will create the logical volumes for the virtual servers inside this group)

Please Note: The Volume Group Name CANNOT be KVM as /dev/kvm/ is a directory created on install
    The PE Size should be set to 32M not the Default of 4M
    OpenVZ Host

/ 10GB
    SWAP 2 times RAM (if RAM ⇐2GB otherwise RAM + 2GB is plenty)
    /vz remaining space (templates & virtual servers will be stored here)

• I can help you for free.

• marcmmarcm Member

@ultimatehostings if he wasn't able to read that in the SolusVM documentation then he might not be able to read, just write.

• @marcm I can read pretty well.

• marcmmarcm Member

stallion said: @marcm I can read pretty well.

Then if you want help provide the forum with more details.

• stallionstallion Member
    edited March 2014

@marcm said:

I am happy to provide any details you want. The only thing I want is to make partitions.

That's the installation manual. I want to make partitions on my drive.

@ultimatehostings
    Thanks for your offer.

Other people please tell me is ultimatehostings a trusted guy. Should I let him login to my server with root access?

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited March 2014

@stallion said:
    Other people please tell me is ultimatehostings a trusted guy. Should I let him login to my server with root access?

@ultimatehostings is a trusted guy on these boards but you can partition easily yourself while reinstalling the server from the management panel of the host whose details they sent you through email when you ordered the server.

Also you have not mentioned that what what virtualization are you planing to run?

• marcmmarcm Member

stallion said: I am happy to provide any details you want. The only thing I want is to make partitions.

Partitioning depends on how you want to use your server. What do you want to do with it?

• @marcm said:
    Partitioning depends on how you want to use your server. What do you want to do with it?

I want to install vps on that

Which virtualization?

What is virtualization?

• I think openvz will be best for me. I wish to sell a vps hosting service.

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited March 2014

stallion said: I think openvz will be best for me. I wish to sell a vps hosting service.

Something tells me that this isn't a serious request for help.

Waste of time... moving on...

• @marcm
    oh really. I didn't know your time is so precious. :)

• marcmmarcm Member

stallion said: @marcm oh really. I didn't know your time is so precious. :)

Your trying to troll here when others are genuinely trying to help you. Best of luck, and find another forum for that. We're not all idiots around here.

• I am not trolling. I am going to PM @ultimatehostings with my root details.

• marcmmarcm Member

stallion said: I am not trolling. I am going to PM @ultimatehostings with my root details.

I hope not, I've seen it before. @ultimatehostings is a good guy, he'll help you.

• PwnerPwner Member

If OP is truly trying to setup his own VPS hosting company, I wish him the best of luck. If he is trying to be a troll, well, I can't say anything positive, so I'll just keep my comments to myself.

Either way, I hope you make the right decisions with where you are headed with this. :)

• stallion said: I wish to sell a vps hosting service.

:(

• stallionstallion Member
    edited March 2014

@Pwner
    We all start somewhere. right? I am genuinely looking for help. Maybe I should have requested my dedicated server provider to do this. That would have been easier.

I got these details from my hosting company. ""KVM over IP / IPMI Login Information""
    Is it possible to make partitions from this control panel?

• @stallion said:
    I got these details from my hosting company. ""KVM over IP / IPMI Login Information""
    Is it possible to make partitions from this control panel?

yes

• I believe it is for the greater good that @ultimatehostings or anyone else does not help OP. If it's for learning and stuff, then no problem. But selling VPS without technical knowledge? He is better off starting as VPS reseller or hire someone to manage his server.

Thanked by 1marcm
  • rskrsk Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2014

@stallion if you are really going to provide hosting. Just stop right there.

If you have no idea about partitioning, which is a small thing in the hosting world, do not start hosting virtual servers. Save your self the time and effort.

Go for reselling VPSs I guess.

I usually say good luck to anyone who ventures into the business, but let me tell you one thing ... running a host is not a simple thing or could be learnt over night.

Do you have troubleshooting experience in linux distros and/or virtualizations? if the answer is no .. really do not consider it. You will be wasting your client's time and therefore creating a bad rep for yourself.

Sorry for being a jerk, I know everyone starts somewhere, but you are far far away from it. Sorry :(

EDIT: I am sure the majority of hosts here would say the same.

Thanked by 1marcm
  • marcmmarcm Member

Literaly, it took like 5 seconds to find these videos. Now if you're too lazy to use a search engine and watch half a dozen YouTube videos then ... well, you're lazy and if you're looking to make an easy & quick buck... then I have very bad news for you: hosting ain't it!

• Everybody is here to make money(you could call it quick buck). People do not like competition. So they bash everyone who is looking to start a new service. I am here to learn and make money.

I will only learn when I do it myself. I am already running a hosting business selling cpanel accounts which is grossing 400 $ a month. My customers are satisfied with my support. i never get any disputes or charge backs.

Why do you assume if I can learn to administer whm/cpanel server I can not administer solusvm?
    Where did you all start? Or were you all already experts when you came out of your mothers' womb?
    BTW I am very disappointed at the response of people here.

• LowENDLowEND Member
    edited March 2014

@stallion - We are not trying to hunt you down but some facts are true. If you still need help, I'm somewhat willing to help you. Feel free to private message me.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@stallion said:
    Everybody is here to make money(you could call it quick buck). People do not like competition. So they bash everyone who is looking to start a new service. I am here to learn and make money.

I will only learn when I do it myself. I am already running a hosting business selling cpanel accounts which is grossing 400 $ a month. My customers are satisfied with my support. i never get any disputes or charge backs.

Why do you assume if I can learn to administer whm/cpanel server I can not administer solusvm?
    Where did you all start? Or were you all already experts when you came out of your mothers' womb?
    BTW I am very disappointed at the response of people here.

I am pretty sure that mainly targeted to my response, and my self.

I am a person who will give you as much advice as you need, unlimited advice. 5 - 10 years from now, you will understand what I mean.

Shared hosting is miles, and miles different from the virtualization world.

Personally, I do not mind the online competition, I do not mind it at all. We run two sides in our business .. online and local.

I am just trying to give you advice and help you. Many hosts came in, tried to do it, several months later shutdown .. and guess what? Because of the poor rep they got, they are never taken seriously .. then they go on to creating fake users and different names just to start fresh.

Allright, Im not saying that you will do exactly that, but really .. if you want to do it first learn, then deploy, then delete, then go through the cycle.

If you need any help at all after you do that, you can add me on skype and I will advise you on anything you need in regards to virtualization and vps hosting.

skype id: rkhaili

Best of luck.