Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SiteMeer - Web Uptime Check
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SiteMeer - Web Uptime Check

nerouxneroux Member
edited March 2014 in General

Hi everyone,

some might already know it (it has been online for a while now) but those who don't I'd like to invite to have a look at sitemeer.com.

Sitemeer basically verifies whether a given service is online and reachable. It is similar to the is-it-just-me sites but comes with broader protocol support, full IDN compatibility as well as details about the connection.

The script itself is currently not open-sourced but might be in the future. There are also further additions planned, so feature suggestions are naturally more than welcome :)

Site: http://www.sitemeer.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sitemeer

Thanked by 1sz1hosting

Comments

• How about adding packet loss information? (Although, that doesn't happen very often)

• @eddynetweb said:
    How about adding packet loss information? (Although, that doesn't happen very often)

Do you mean a separate ICMP/ping check option or along with the current checks (like HTTP)?

• @neroux said:
    Do you mean a separate ICMP/ping check option or along with the current checks (like HTTP)?

It's really up to you, an option would be preferable for me, as it would be nice to get ICMP information.

• @eddynetweb said:
    It's really up to you, an option would be preferable for me, as it would be nice to get ICMP information.

Will add it to the todo list and should be probably in the next round of available protocols.

• @neroux said:
    Will add it to the todo list and should be probably in the next round of available protocols.

Sounds good, neat project!

• nerouxneroux Member
    edited March 2014

@eddynetweb said:
    Sounds good, neat project!

ICMP made it into "beta" quicker than anticipated. There is now a first preview at /preview.php. To run a ping test please use the preliminary scheme prefix "xping" (eg: xping://www.lowendtalk.com)

Feedback, comments and suggestions appreciated.

• The tests for ICMP have looked good so far, so it should go live shortly (currently still at /preview.php).

Further comments and suggestions are welcome.

• I would like to apologise to everyone who might have attempted to access Sitemeer today, as there was unfortunately a rather lengthy outage due to routing issues in an IXP.

Now all services are back up and running.

• just an idea, it will be better if we can sign up and you provide the service to automatically recheck the status at periodic timeline. Maybe somekind like uptimerobot. Not that i want you to be same as uptimerobot, differentiation are good, and that require more innovation from you guys. but i like your site, it is simple :)

• @sirmbhe said:
    just an idea, it will be better if we can sign up and you provide the service to automatically recheck the status at periodic timeline. Maybe somekind like uptimerobot. Not that i want you to be same as uptimerobot, differentiation are good, and that require more innovation from you guys.

I assume you mean a monitoring service with notifications etc., right?

but i like your site, it is simple :)

Thank you :)

• @neroux said:

Yes you are right :)

• @sirmbhe said:
    Yes you are right :)

Thanks, further features are definitely planned (amongst them customised checks) but no ETA yet.

Thanked by 1sirmbhe
  • The meerkats just opened on Twitter as well

http://www.twitter.com/sitemeer

• nerouxneroux Member

A quick feature update which just went live a few minutes ago.

Sitemeer now also returns country and network related information for each host it checks.

• nerouxneroux Member

Yet another info bit added.

This time for the HTTP(S) check. For each host Sitemeer now mentions the used server software.

I'd really love to hear some feedback about the last two additions, the country and network info as well as the new server software bit. Useful, not useful, anything else?

• nerouxneroux Member

neroux said: I'd really love to hear some feedback about the last two additions, the country and network info as well as the new server software bit. Useful, not useful, anything else?

I'd like to stress that bit again as I would like to find out the overall usefulness of such information in this context (to avoid overloading the status report).

• iceTwyiceTwy Member

@neroux said:
    I'd like to stress that bit again as I would like to find out the overall usefulness of such information in this context (to avoid overloading the status report).

Country and network info are what I would consider to be basic informations, and I'd expect them to be found in any decent lookup script/site (at least in the advanced stats). Those are useful, and you're not overloading the status report at all by adding them.

What I'd love to see, although it would take some time to write it, is an API. That'd be awesome. If you'd need more servers to spread the load on the API, hit me up.

• Twitter for it is down apparently.

• nerouxneroux Member

iceTwy said: Country and network info are what I would consider to be basic informations, and I'd expect them to be found in any decent lookup script/site (at least in the advanced stats). Those are useful, and you're not overloading the status report at all by adding them.

Thanks for the feedback.

iceTwy said: What I'd love to see, although it would take some time to write it, is an API. That'd be awesome. If you'd need more servers to spread the load on the API, hit me up.

Contacted you via PM.

• BradBrad Member

Most of us would use something that's already out there, but your site does look and function nicely.

• nerouxneroux Member

@Brad said:
    Most of us would use something that's already out there, but your site does look and function nicely.

Thank you, Sitemeer isn't that new though but has been already around for a while :).

• nerouxneroux Member

A very nice recent testimonial, thanks @eddynetweb

neroux I have been using sitemeer.com out of all the other online-checkers, and here's why.

1) Simple, clean, no ads.

2) Gives the sufficient data that I need.

3) It's extremely easy to remember. In fact, when I want to check if a website is online, the first thing that comes to mind is yours.

Kudos! Also, can you add something along the lines of checking ports on a remote server to see if they're online?

Thanked by 1eddynetweb
  • I love this tool :) I've been using it for ages since mentioned on wht.

Thanked by 1neroux
  • Just tried it and it's very good.

Thanked by 1neroux
  • nerouxneroux Member

@Licensecart and @JoeBiss

Cheers for the compliment :) - always much appreciated

Thanked by 1Licensecart
  • API, please! ^.^

• nerouxneroux Member

@0xdragon said:
    API, please! ^.^

There is already inofficial support for it. Depending on the demand it might become official.

If interested, please PM me for details.

• nerouxneroux Member

neroux said: If interested, please PM me for details.

Just to emphasise it, this is valid for everyone.

• There's a beta now with multi-location checks at http://beta.sitemeer.com

• Why was @neroux banned anyway?