Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv6 in home?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv6 in home?

OneTwoOneTwo Member
edited April 2012 in General

Do anyone of you have native ipv6 in home? My lame provider don't support it.

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Nope, stupid Virgin Media doesn't support it yet. I can't be asked to set up a tunnel.

• Use gogo6, it's free, and works beautifully.

• My ISP (Centurylink) supports ipv6 on their network but no home modems of theirs support ipv6.

• PhilNDPhilND Member
    edited April 2012

But in all fairness... i really wish Virgin would roll out the IPv6 when they start upgrading connections (50mbit->100mbit etc)

• The reason why ISPs don't care about IPv6 is because it's a technical issue that their clients don't care about. Does Facebook work now? Good, problem solved.

All IPv4 addresses may be allocated, but only 14% of IPv4 addresses are in use[1]. We're actually far away from running out of usable IPv4 addresses, and every ISP has enough addresses for their clients for the foreseeable future, while all the existing sites that people visit also have IPv4 addresses.

The main problem is that the addresses are inefficiently allocated. Aside from the reserved blocks, some individual companies and universities are sitting on /8s, which seems crazy by today's standards, but that's a consequence of classful domain routing and the fact that IPv4 addresses were in a surplus back in the 80s. On the other hand, some currently expanding markets (like Asia) don't have enough. Attempts to correct this inefficiency are being made. Some of those companies / universities have given or are planning to give portions of their address blocks back. In the future there may be a market or simply a mandate to resell / reallocate those addresses more efficiently, which means IPv4 addressing will be just fine for many more years.

[1] http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20030482-264.html

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Man, I totally misread the intent of this thread.

I thought you were asking if we had ipv6 internally between all the crap in our houses.

You know, the routers, the desktops, the servers, the laptops, the i{Pod,Pad,Phone}, the NAS, the VMs...

I don't have quite enough that private ipv4 address space depletion has hit me yet.

• @raindog308 said: I thought you were asking if we had ipv6 internally between all the crap in our houses.

ah no. if you have ipv6 access from your home to the internet provided by your ISP.

• @BuzzPoet said: in the 80s. On the other hand, some currently expanding markets (like Asia) don't have enough.

That is kinda right! For the newer ISPs that come up, they're at a loss cause of the fewer address space they're able to be allocated.

• DerekDerek Member

I contacted my ISP about the issue and was assigned a /64 IPv6 native capped at 1Mbps d/u. They also stated to a agree what @BuzzPoet pointed out. None of their customers need and very few request.

Also, most of the tech support don't even know what your talking about.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited April 2012

BT won't support it till 2036.

Which affects the other ISPs since they cant roll out IPv6 fully until BT does it.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • My ISP is currently "testing" IPv6 so i guess i won't get it for another year or so. But i've set up a he.net tunnel which works (but has many ping/bandwidth inconsistencies)

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@DotVPS said: They have v6 prefixes ;) better than what virginmedia have.

Almost every RIPE member should already have IPv6 allocation :)

• DanielMDanielM Member
    edited April 2012

My ISP (Opal Telecom) Does. As does my MBB (T-MOBILE)

@DotVPS said: My ISP doesn't yay!

they are lazy, getting IPv6 allocation is just matter of filling up a form...

• @prometeus said: they are lazy, getting IPv6 allocation is just matter of filling up a form...

>

They have to configure all there routers and spying devices too remember..

@DanielM said: They have to configure all there routers and spying devices too remember..

Allocation <> Usage
    ;)

• NTT's Open Computer Network (http://ocn.ne.jp) is fully IPv6 compliant and has no issues rolling it out.

Guess who I use ;)

• @DanielM said: My ISP (Opal Telecom) Does. As does my MBB (T-MOBILE)

Three don't have any IPv6, they also mis-typed their own website URL on their AS Info.

http://bgp.he.net/AS21327#_asinfo

• @Daniel said: Three don't have any IPv6

You can access v6 websites on three. Dont know what system they have in place. so.

• @DanielM said: You can access v6 websites on three. Dont know what system they have in place. so.

Nope, no IPv6 address. Shame since HSPA supports IPv6

• @Daniel said: Nope, no IPv6 address. Shame since HSPA supports IPv6

do a traceroute to a v6 site if you dont believe me :)

• @Daniel said: BT won't support it till 2036.

Which affects the other ISPs since they cant roll out IPv6 fully until BT does it.

Not true :)

Even though most other ISPs use BT's lines, all the layer 3 (IP Layer) and above equipment is owned by each individual ISP. This means that even if BT doesn't support IPv6, other ISPs will still be able to. Which is great news! :)

• My Backup DSL line has native, my main line (UPC.... duh...) doesn't.

• @DanielM said: You can access v6 websites on three. Dont know what system they have in place. so.

Nope, no IPv6 address. Shame since HSPA supports IPv6

@DanielM said: do a traceroute to a v6 site if you dont believe me :)

Nothing, no resolve.

• @Daniel said: Nothing, no resolve.

Works fine for me :| are you tethering or using a modem? (v6 dont work on the MIFI's)

• Charter does here.

• @DanielM said: Works fine for me :| are you tethering or using a modem? (v6 dont work on the MIFI's)

On the device itself.

• KeithKeith Member

@Jonny_Evorack Correct.
    I have native ipv6 and a BT landline.

Thanked by 1NateN34
  • Yep IPv6 here through tunnelbroker. Apple Airport Base Station supported it.

Comcast in it's nationwide rollout of IPv6 right now. Verizon Wireless is starting to sell products with IPv6 enabled as well.

• I use Tunnel Broker and the Tomato Firmware on my router to provide my home network with IPv6, works wonderfully :)