Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possible New RamNode VPS Control Panel
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Possible New RamNode VPS Control Panel

PetaByetPetaByet Member
edited March 2014 in Providers

In Nick's thread on WHT, RamNode is seeking developer(s) to code a new VPS control panel for them. (They said about this in posts long ago). It's going to be a replacement for SolusVM and needs to be integrated with WHMCS.

Some important points:

• Hourly billing/Cloud hosting
  • Ability to run OpenStack
  • Create, destroy, resize servers; create backups/snapshots on demand
  • /64 IPv6 assignments
  • More

Ah...sounds like DigitalOcean but @Nick_A 's servers are a lot better than DO's. The panel must be awesome! Hopefully it can be a christmas gift for all of us by the end of the year :)

What do you guys think?

Thanked by 1linuxthefish

Comments

• We're... all doomed....

• It sounds great, although I think he may need to increase his budget.

• Virtovo said: although I think he may need to increase his budget.

Welcome to WHT.

• @Virtovo said:
    It sounds great, although I think he may need to increase his budget.

Keep in mind it's a "low end" panel. haha

• Does anybody know what "thin provisioning and compression to save resources" means in Nick's WHT thread? Oversell?

• @PetaByet said:
    Does anybody know what "thin provisioning and compression to save resources" means in Nick's WHT thread? Oversell?

Allows for disk to be oversold on KVM:

http://www.linux-kvm.org/wiki/images/7/77/2012-forum-thin-provisioning.pdf

• @Virtovo said:
    Allows for disk to be oversold on KVM:

Ah dodgy... I thought RamNode does not oversell their KVM disk space.

• @PetaByet said:
    Ah dodgy... I thought RamNode does not oversell their KVM disk space.

I wouldn't say dodgy. It makes efficient use of resources. I doubt Ramnode oversell KVM disk space at the moment. I think the countless positive reviews show that Ramnode run a good service.

I think Ramnode are focusing on this as a feature more to reduce their backup storage requirements; however @Nick_A would be best placed to comment.

• @Virtovo said:

If they really oversell (KVM) they should give the same disk space as OVZ plans. Yeah but the service is still awesome :)

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited March 2014

concerto49 said: Email sent.

Will they be teaming up or something like sharing cost of development with CloudShards?

• @DalComp said:
    Will they be teaming up or something like sharing cost of development with CloudShards?

Nice guess. Both of companies are established and (probably) have good financial resources.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Thin provisioning is not a kvm thing, can be done in many virtualizations, including Xen and virtualbox.

• DalComp said: Will they be teaming up or something like sharing cost of development with CloudShards?

PetaByet said: Nice guess. Both of companies are established and (probably) have good financial resources.

Not sure yet is the official and unofficial answer :) Did reach out though.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Yep, we're looking to build something a bit more tailored to RamNode. I've been sick for several days and haven't had time to follow up with anyone about this. Regarding the thin provisioning/compression - it's to save resources so we can offer more for less. It would be a positive thing for clients. We won't be compromising our high performance with regards to any of this - just improving features for you guys.

• FlorisFloris Member
    edited March 2014

@Nick_A said:
    Yep, we're looking to build something a bit more tailored to RamNode. I've been sick for several days and haven't had time to follow up with anyone about this. Regarding the thin provisioning/compression - it's to save resources so we can offer more for less. It would be a positive thing for clients. We won't be compromising our high performance with regards to any of this - just improving features for you guys.

How about publicly releasing this with a licensing scheme? I'd love to see a replacement for SolusVM aswell.

• @Floris said:
    How about publicly releasing this with a licensing scheme? I'd love to see a replacement for SolusVM aswell.

http://feathur.com

• LeeLee Veteran

It's good to see another provider in the market investing significantly in their operation and going their own way. Good luck @Nick_A

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • sc754sc754 Member

@Nick_A said:

Will you be getting rid of monthly billing? Not everyone wants hour by hour billing..

Other thing that worries is me is the price, since Prometheus went to the istack the price's of their lowend vps doubled. This new cloud thing sounds good, but really I don't want 95% of it's features, not sure about how other lowend users feel.

• The thread in WHT (linked in the first post) says this: "The system should have the ability to invoice clients through WHMCS on an hourly basis (in addition to standard pre-paid invoicing which is already part of WHMCS).", so I don't think he intends to get rid of monthly billing.

Correct - this is all in addition to standard WHMCS and SolusVM features.

• LeeLee Veteran

sc754 said: not sure about how other lowend users feel.

I think everyone just needs to let they guy breathe and get on with it, I am sure his plan is mapped out and will start to be fed out when the time is right.

sc754 said: Will you be getting rid of monthly billing? Not everyone wants hour by hour billing..

Really? What difference does it make, if you keep it for a month you pay for a month, how can hourly billing really be a question..

@sc754 said:
    Other thing that worries is me is the price, since Prometheus went to the istack the price's of their lowend vps doubled. This new cloud thing sounds good, but really I don't want 95% of it's features, not sure about how other lowend users feel.

Missed this part - we won't be increasing our prices with this. There's really nothing to worry about for any existing or future clients. Just be excited :)

• @Nick_A said:
    Missed this part - we won't be increasing our prices with this. There's really nothing to worry about for any existing or future clients. Just be excited :)

Would this panel be for your own internal use only(like BuyVM's Stallion) or you got plans of licensing it out as well?

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

That would be nice to see.

We're not far enough along to say one way or another yet.

• marcmmarcm Member

PetaByet said: Ah dodgy... I thought RamNode does not oversell their KVM disk space.

Thin provisioning has other advantages besides overselling space. I doubt @Nick_A is interested in that aspect. Me and Pete are working on our own panel as well, as best as we have time for it. The problem with KVM and disk space is resizing. If the customer upgrades then his OS partition won't be automatically resized, and when downgrading it's even worse. Implementing an automated system to work the same as it does for instance on Xen PV is ideal.

The reason why most of us are looking for alternatives are due to the limitations of SolusVM, slow development, very bare-bones WHMCS module, and so on. In addition to that SolusVM is closed source so we can't contribute to it and if we want/need to add a new feature or fix a bug we're all at Solus Labs' mercy. If Solus Labs could find a way to open source SolusVM and still keep it a commercial product then that would be an ideal situation. Otherwise everyone will be forced to develop and implement their own solution.

• @Nick_A said:

It would be cool to have hourly 128/256MB plans :)

• marcm said: In addition to that SolusVM is closed source so we can't contribute to it and if we want/need to add a new feature or fix a bug we're all at Solus Labs' mercy. If Solus Labs could find a way to open source SolusVM and still keep it a commercial product then that would be an ideal situation. Otherwise everyone will be forced to develop and implement their own solution.

You do realize Feathur is open source (AGPLv3)... you're more than welcome to help contribute to it... it's a decent panel and it can be improved upon...

• khavkhav Member

@Nick can you add a feature to modify the way additional bandwidth reset

With SolusVM , bandwidth addons reset at the first day of the following month regardless of the day on which you buy the addon. Its kind of a "loss" for the buyer.As a customer i would prefer that bandwidth addons reset on the same day on which i brought them , not on the first of every month

Thanked by 1PetaByet
  • @BlueVM said:
    You do realize Feathur is open source (AGPLv3)... you're more than welcome to help contribute to it... it's a decent panel and it can be improved upon...

It's a cool panel, but with serious bandwidth/memory/load tracking issues and updating issues in the admin panel.