Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

looking for new Laptop - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

looking for new Laptop

2»

Comments

• @Adam2030 to me, that's a huge rip off. Check out http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_customed&model_name=NP9150

You can get a 2670QM 8GB 1600mhz ram and a GTX 675m with 2GB GDDR5 for $1,499. You're also getting a faster hard drive (7200 rpm vs 5400), and have room in your budget to upgrade the processor to an even better one, add more hard drives, and ssd, etc.

Thanked by 1Adam2030
  • JacobJacob Member

You can try Advent, My proberly most decent laptop was the Advent 5611 which can be picked up for about 100 Quid and they run smooth on a price:performance ratio.

2K on a laptop is crazy! I would spend that on a desktop but not a chance with a laptop.

Thanked by 1Adam2030
  • Adam2030Adam2030 Member
    edited April 2012

@Kairus said: You can get a 2670QM 8GB 1600mhz ram and a GTX 675m with 2GB GDDR5 for $1,499. You're also getting a faster hard drive (7200 rpm vs 5400), and have room in your budget to upgrade the processor to an even better one, add more hard drives, and ssd, etc.

Ya , it's look better than Apple
    looks i will go with this
    15.6" Full HD LED-Backlit Display with Super Glossy Surface (1920 x 1080)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 670M GPU with 1.5GB GDDR5 Video Memory
    2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM Processor ( 6MB L3 Cache, 2.20GHz)
    Genuine MS Windows® 7 Home Premium 32/64-Bit Edition ( 64-Bit Preloaded )
    12GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 3 X 4GB **
    500GB 7200rpm SATA 300 Hard Drive
    Intel 80GB 310 Series mSATA SSD - Preconfigured as an OS Drive (Primary Drive C:)
    Unit Price: $1,639.00

@Jacob said: You can try Advent, My proberly most decent laptop was the Advent 5611 which can be picked up for about 100 Quid and they run smooth on a price:performance ratio.

2K on a laptop is crazy! I would spend that on a desktop but not a chance with a laptop.

The desktop killing me. using my old Dell better.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@bijan588 said: They are really cool about replacements, support, etc

I think that may depend on where you live. Here in the Netherlands Apple has actually consistently tried to sell people AppleCare with a vague legally questionable story about how the 'legally required factory warranty would not help there'... it essentially amounted to them trying to get away with not providing warranty without AppleCare, despite being legally required to do so.

edited April 2012

@joepie91 said: I think that may depend on where you live. Here in the Netherlands Apple has actually consistently tried to sell people AppleCare with a vague legally questionable story about how the 'legally required factory warranty would not help there'... it essentially amounted to them trying to get away with not providing warranty without AppleCare, despite being legally required to do so.

i'm in Doha, Qatar so i can't get any support from Apple also they not ship to Qatar but my friend was shipment it for me after i look to Sager i see it better and more cheaper and able to shipment to Qatar without any probelm it's crazy i can't decided what i need NP9150 or NP9170 both are lovely options :D

• I've had countless laptops over the years, from every brand... The only one that's lasted longer than a year is my Lenovo. It's a tank. I've been using it 12+ hours a day, every single day, since 2007. Nothing else comes close.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • I actually like HP/Compaq laptops as I have never really had issues with them. I also like gateway desktops as they seem to last forever.

• Adam, in my opinion Macs are extremely reliable, and are like tanks.

The being said, you can get a more powerful computer for the same price.... but do you really need that power

• @bijan588 said: Adam, in my opinion Macs are extremely reliable, and are like tanks.

I know people who have had their logic board in their macbooks just stop working. I wouldn't say they are reliable.

edited April 2012

@bijan588 said: The being said, you can get a more powerful computer for the same price.... but do you really need that power

Yes really I need. We working into new stuff and playing games :D

• @subigo said: I've had countless laptops over the years, from every brand... The only one that's lasted longer than a year is my Lenovo. It's a tank. I've been using it 12+ hours a day, every single day, since 2007. Nothing else comes close.

did you used Sager?!!

• pcanpcan Member

The best desktop-replacement latop I used recently is the Dell Precision M6600 portable workstation. Professional Intel (and Nvidia video) chip-set fully recognized by almost all operating systems; 4 Ram slots and 2 hard drive bays (so you can install 32 Gb Ram and a server operating system with software Raid); integrated hardware Intel vPro KVM with dedicated IP address (so you can even remotely turn on/off/reboot your laptop and access the Bios setup using a special version of VNC trough the network). IPS screen available as extra, but the standard one is already pretty good. SSD drive is not a standard option, but I fitted a Intel 320 SSD 300 Gb and it works very well.

• @Adam2030 said: did you used Sager?!!

lol, I shouldn't have said every brand. I meant every major brand. My dead laptop pile has: Toshiba (2), Dell (2), HP, Acer, Sony, Asus, Samsung, Averatec, Gateway, Emachines.

• I wouldn't say Apple laptops are more reliable...They're using the same parts as every other laptop manufacturer out there. Now their aluminum cases are awesome, but I don't think it justifies the price.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • This brings up the interesting point if laptops should be replacements for desktops.
    Imo they shouldn't be because if a laptop has every aspect of a good desktop, it will not be very portable, big, heavy and run out of juice pretty fast.
    Therefore i would advise the op to buy something small, ultra-portable (lets say an ultrabook) as a laptop and invest the other money into a good desktop.

• @joepie91 said: Yeah, only no. I can't count how many times I've had someone ask me how to get their WiFi to work under Linux because their laptop had an unsupported Broadcom/Ralink chipset, or how to get their non-Synaptic touchpad to work, or how to to get their graphics card to perform decently because it has some kind of odd manufacturer-specific version of a graphical chipset that is not supported by the stock Linux drivers, or ....

You get the point.

Yeah, true, but not really.

You can get the "unsupported" or "non-free" or whatever they are called from the Linux distros website and it will work fine. Had this issue with my netbook and it worked after you get the drivers.......heck it even tells you that you need to get them as you install Linux.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@NateN34 said: You can get the "unsupported" or "non-free" or whatever they are called from the Linux distros website and it will work fine. Had this issue with my netbook and it worked after you get the drivers.......heck it even tells you that you need to get them as you install Linux.

These drivers do not even always exist.

• @Adam2030 said: There is something name gateway in the Laptop market?

You haven't heard of gateway? Acer owns the brand now ... but really?

Memories for anyone else?

Thanked by 2TheHackBox NateN34
  • yay brand wars

mine is asus k43sv,it is like dekstop-replacement for me,i got it about one years ago with extra 2gb ram,the only thing that always bugged me is the inbuilt speaker is a junk (very low volume) and battery drain like a horse when you unplug the charger.
    honestly i got a broken ODD too!after 1 week usage,it just didnt read the DVD but i have got a new replacement for free (warranty)

well,i have tested my laptop running high games like crysis,skyrim,mw3 with very high settings and it run well,not very smooth (so i lower to high)

and when i try to install "hackintosh"
    the hackintosh installation detect all my hardware with zero issue (snow leopard,didnt tested lion) when my friend's compaq have issue with his touchpad

for me,it reach a conclusion
    as i am frugal,asus give all "my need" for 500 buck

• @Kairus said: Memories for anyone else?

They still use the cow boxes ... I love that about gateway.

• @DotVPS said: Yes that's one thing I thought , surely you can remove it if you completely remove everything though right ? O_o

Ha, that's what I thought too. Until we removed everything, and was unable to find anything actually holding the keyboard in place. No screws, no little plastic tabs. Not sure if they're glued in or something.

edited April 2012

@BassHost said: You haven't heard of gateway? Acer owns the brand now ... but really?

I used Acer , Dell , HP etc from few Years ago . Gateway no really.

• @Adam2030 said: I used Acer , Dell , HP etc from few Years ago . Gateway no really.

Well gateway and acer laptops are exactly the same thing now (Acer owns Gateway). Gateway just has a different dress and a cool box.

• KairusKairus Member
    edited April 2012

@BassHost said: Well gateway and acer laptops are exactly the same thing now (Acer owns Gateway). Gateway just has a different dress and the coolest box.

FTFY.

• I have a Toshiba L550 laptop and a Toshiba NB500 netbook and they both run Linux just fine. Debian was a slight pain to install, but everything works out of the box with Ubuntu and Linux Mint.

• BassHostBassHost Member
    edited April 2012

@Kairus

Lol. That is true. I think I might have to take the box out of the closet when I go to my other house so I can admire the artwork.