Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

looking for new Laptop
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

looking for new Laptop

Adam2030Adam2030 Member
edited April 2012 in General

Hello,

i'm looking for new Laptop any recommendations? what kind etc ..?

Thanks

Comments

• What kind of budget do you have? What do you plan on doing with it? Gaming, video editing, anything like that? Screen size, how portable do you want it to be? The laptop market is pretty big!

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Any HP or Acer will get my vote. Any Sony will get a thumbs down from me. I would make specific recommendations, but I only use netbooks now. :)

• Adam2030Adam2030 Member
    edited April 2012

@Kairus said: What kind of budget do you have? What do you plan on doing with it? Gaming, video editing, anything like that? Screen size, how portable do you want it to be? The laptop market is pretty big!

Yes something like gaming etc . my budget 2K

@KuJoe said: Any HP or Acer will get my vote. Any Sony will get a thumbs down from me. I would make specific recommendations, but I only use netbooks now. :)

what kind your netbook :D ?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2012

Always some great ASUS deals on newegg. I've not had the best experiences with them lasting more than a year, but then the only laptop that ever lasted a while for me is the Apple. I kill laptops, apparently.

Thanked by 1Adam2030
  • RophRoph Member

And whatever you do, avoid Intel graphics.

Thanked by 2NanoG6 Adam2030
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Adam2030 said: what kind your netbook :D ?

I've got an HP Mini-Note 2133 and an HP Mini 210.

Thanked by 1Adam2030
  • +1 for Sony sucking. I'd also stay away from Dell.

In addition to the HP and Acer that were mentioned, I can recommend Toshiba too, if you don't plan on running Linux on it.

Thanked by 1Adam2030
  • How about Lenovo?
    Well known for good build quality - Definitely regret getting this HP over a similarly spec'ed, but slightly more expensive Lenovo >_>

Thanked by 1Adam2030
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Roph said: And whatever you do, avoid Intel graphics.

Seconded. Intel integrated graphics are horrible.

Also, at least if you're in Europe, stay away from HP. Their customer service is horrid, so when something breaks you're screwed.

@ElliotJ said: How about Lenovo?

Well known for good build quality - Definitely regret getting this HP over a similarly spec'ed, but slightly more expensive Lenovo >_>

I do actually have one of the newer Lenovo's (Thinkpad Edge) and I have to say I'm not very impressed... it's a bit better in build quality than most other laptops, but nowhere near what Thinkpads used to be like.

Thanked by 1Adam2030
  • @joepie91 said: it's a bit better in build quality than most other laptops, but nowhere near what Thinkpads used to be like.

I agree here too. They used to be worth the price premium, but now, not so much.

I do find my Toshiba to be exceptionally durable. It just won't run Linux.

Thanked by 1Adam2030
    edited April 2012

@Damian said: I do find my Toshiba to be exceptionally durable. It just won't run Linux.

On that note, Lenovo's generally do have hardware that works under Linux.

Things to definitely stay away from if you plan to use Linux: Compaq, HP, Toshiba, Sony, some Acer models, some Packard Bell models.

Lenovo, Dell and Medion (sometimes sold as Lifetec) are generally a good choice when you intend to run Linux. Doesn't go for all models, but as a general rule of thumb.

EDIT: Mandatory warning: despite some Packard Bell laptops having hardware that works under Linux, you should probably stay away from it anyhow since it's complete rubbish.

Thanked by 1Adam2030
  • karlkarl Member

My Toshiba laptops run linux fine

Thanked by 1Adam2030
  • @joepie91 said: Things to definitely stay away from if you plan to use Linux: Compaq, HP, Toshiba, Sony, some Acer models, some Packard Bell models.

Lol, Packard Bell? Is this 1995?

Also Linux should run fine on most every Laptop brand, since they all laptops use similar hardware (Realtek NICs, Foxconn mobos, etc.).

Thanked by 2netomx Adam2030
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@joepie91 said: I do actually have one of the newer Lenovo's (Thinkpad Edge) and I have to say I'm not very impressed... it's a bit better in build quality than most other laptops, but nowhere near what Thinkpads used to be like.

Sorry to dissapoint you, but I got a Lenovo and runs great! it's the G475

Thanked by 1Adam2030

@NateN34 said: Lol, Packard Bell? Is this 1995?

sorry, he tried to say: DEC

Thanked by 1Adam2030
  • SteveSteve Member

Whatever you do, avoid HP. I wouldn't use one even if you bought it for me.

Thanked by 2Adam2030 tux
  • I love my Acer TimelineX, no optical drive and the battery is built in, which stops me from disconnecting it by accident :)

Thanked by 1Adam2030

@DotVPS said: Why would you thumbs down for sony?

Pricey for what it is: a laptop.

Thanked by 1Adam2030
  • I can really recommend the Lenovo ThinkPads, but i am given to understand that the Edge series is more of "consumer-grade" so i'd avoid that and go with the T series.
    Right now for university i'm using a ThinkPad X121e with a core i3 which is awesome for "business" tasks such as office, coding, etc but the intel graphics really sucks you you should avoid it if you want to game.
    A decent ThinkPad T420 with a dedicated graphics card costs 1400€ (1850$), so you might throw in some money to replace the HDD with an SSD (Intel announced new cheap ones just today)

Thanked by 1Adam2030
  • @DotVPS said: Why would you thumbs down for sony?

Extremely difficult to repair if needed.

The keyboard on current-model Vaios are completely unremovable. The key caps are completely unremovable too. If you spill something sticky on the keyboard, then... you get to own a sticky keyboard.

Replacing the power jack is a $6 part, but takes about 2 hours to remove everything to get to it.

Thanked by 1Adam2030

Well, you always pay more bc you're in UK :P

I had payed for my Lenovo G475 220 GBP, including taxes, and 18 month no-interest financing ;)

Thanked by 1Adam2030
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

With Sony you pay for the brand name, it's not exceptional, which is what you would expect from the prices they charge unless they have a discount.

+1 to Lenovo, I bought my brother one and they're really good overall.

Thanked by 1Adam2030
  • I have a gateway core i5 laptop with ati 512mb of doom gpu. It has worked great for 2 years. It was a 15.6 inch wide screen. I paid 500 dollars for it.

I would recommend gateway/acer. Good Stuff.

Thanked by 2Adam2030 netomx
  • humm I am confused now. what about Apple? it really worth the price?

@BassHost said: I have a gateway core i5 laptop with ati 512mb of doom gpu. It has worked great for 2 years. It was a 15.6 inch wide screen. I paid 500 dollars for it.

I would recommend gateway/acer. Good Stuff.

There is something name gateway in the Laptop market?

• @Adam2030 said: There is something name gateway in the Laptop market?

Made by HP.

Thanked by 1Adam2030

@NateN34 said: Lol, Packard Bell? Is this 1995?

They are still being sold, at least in Europe. And even though it has gotten slightly better, they're still shit.

@NateN34 said: Also Linux should run fine on most every Laptop brand, since they all laptops use similar hardware (Realtek NICs, Foxconn mobos, etc.).

Yeah, only no. I can't count how many times I've had someone ask me how to get their WiFi to work under Linux because their laptop had an unsupported Broadcom/Ralink chipset, or how to get their non-Synaptic touchpad to work, or how to to get their graphics card to perform decently because it has some kind of odd manufacturer-specific version of a graphical chipset that is not supported by the stock Linux drivers, or ....
    You get the point.

• @adam2030 Macs are a good choice if you are not on a budget. They are really cool about replacements, support, etc

• @Adam2030 I think your best bet with your budget & needs is to go with a Sager. They use Clevo manufactured chassis & boards like Alienware & Voodoo do (or did, poor Voodoo!). If you don't want to go with them, go with a Dell.

• @bijan588 said: Macs are a good choice if you are not on a budget. They are really cool about replacements, support, etc

humm, someone provide me this deal but i never used Mac before.
    Apple
    15-inch: 2.2 GHz
    2.2GHz quad-core
    Intel Core i7
    8GB 1333MHz
    500GB 5400-rpm1
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB GDDR5
    $1,900

It worth the price?

• @Kairus said: I think your best bet with your budget & needs is to go with a Sager. They use Clevo manufactured chassis & boards like Alienware & Voodoo do (or did, poor Voodoo!). If you don't want to go with them, go with a Dell.

My budget about 2K