Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostUS ~ my experience - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostUS ~ my experience

2»

Comments

• tchentchen Member

@viCommunications said:
    If the said "attack" is being used for network related stress testing purposes it kinda voids that. In that being said, there's realistically no way you can prove who initiated the DoS attack: IP logs don't really hold up in court, and nor does a PayPal payment.

Sec 3 covers reckless impairment. The 'stress test' thing are for the developers of testing tools, not the end user who either through intent or recklessness causes said damage with those available tools. A network 'stress test' using pentest tools is also considered 'unauthorized' on a third party network no matter which way you want to slice it.

• BruceBruce Member

@netomx said:
    But I don't read that sh*t, and if I don't know, that's no illegal!

ignorance is not a defence

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Bruce said:

It was sarcasm, pal.

• @Mun said:
    May I ask what you were running on your server?

Teamspeak server for private usage (friends)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@m0dg0d said:

TS servers get attacked all the time, even my Nan knows that, bucko.

• MunMun Member

@m0dg0d said:

Were you using any Control Panels?

• m0dg0dm0dg0d Member
    edited March 2014

@Nekki said:

I dont care if it is..
    That [removed S.] says i am ddosing.
    This person cant run a vps service

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Nekki said:

The attack was outbound, he was sending the DDOS, not the target of an inbound DDOS.

@m0dg0d said:
    I dont care if it is.. That camelshit says i am ddosing. This person cant run a vps service

The fact; by itself, that you were suspended for an Illegal outbound DDOS affected our network, must be acceptable for you, tell me a host that would allow this to happen on 2 occurrences.

I also love your denotation that you registered a WebHostingTalk account TODAY, just to re-post this thread.

• Alexander
  • PremiumNPremiumN Member
    edited March 2014

@m0dg0d said: I dont care if it is.. That [removed S.] says i am ddosing. This person cant run a vps service

Good luck finding your next provider.....Be sure to come and tell us how crap the next one is as well.

• @PremiumN said:
    Good luck finding your next provider.....Be sure to come and tell us how crap the next one is as well.

Hopefully next provider will just save themselves the headache and do a little checking up on the client. Like we all are doing, right :D

• Yes, i'm happy there are better providers that arent lieing about ddos attacks. And no i dont use a control panel for ts3

• MunMun Member

@m0dg0d said:
    Yes, i'm happy there are better providers that arent lieing about ddos attacks. And no i dont use a control panel for ts3

Then most likely you failed to secure your server and remove the un-needed software. My guess (bind) as most providers for some idiotic reason have it installed on there prebuilt images.

Mun

Thanked by 1Lee

Ts aren't ddosed all the times.

• instatechinstatech Member
    edited March 2014

Wait a second I am dreaming or this is really happening

• tchentchen Member

@m0dg0d From the teamspeak forums:

http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthread.php/92212-TeamSpeak-can-be-used-for-outgoing-DDoS-attacks-(is-it-true-)?p=361775#post361775

The hoster was right in that 3.0.7.1 or older server could be used for udp reflection and amplification, which can cause an effective dos attack.

The latest ts3 servers (3.0.8 and above) can not be used in amplification attacks. That is to say a unconnected ip can send a small packet to a ts3 server and the ts3 server will reply with a packet that is the same size or smaller, and only for these small packets. This is comparable to tcp syn and syn-ack packets.

In any case, if you're running a private TS server, upgrade it. Also stick a limiter on the ack.

Ouch! Let me check mine

• @Bruce - there are many different 'blacklists' for hosting providers. Many hosting providers with multiple brands maintain their own which is used within their companies.

• iSkyiSky Member

Nice title, kinda be making me confuse right now, but when all people read it first before comment, it seem @alexanderM already said it was the client fault

• @Mun said:
    Mun

That could be the problem..