Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The new Liechtenstein location at Edis is ON, 50% off
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The new Liechtenstein location at Edis is ON, 50% off

Just received an email from Edis, 50% discount when you use code LIECHTENSTEIN to order the new location (Liechtenstein).

Congrats to William and staff for providing us with more and more rare locations. I hope micros will be back soon :)

Comments

• Sadly not even close to LEB price range :)

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited March 2014

Still freaking expensive...

I am just very pissed EDIS just give up LE* market like that, by stop supporting the LE* community after gaining their initial share of fame from LE*

And apparently recent threads on WHT seems to suggest that they don't like to respond to the support requests with the LE* VPS as well, a sneaky way to exit the market I guess

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • Yes sorry I just noticed it. Sad indeed

• LeeLee Veteran

Odd, I thought they would be more worried about fixing the current issues before promoting for new customers, price is way to steep for the current service on offer

• @zhuanyi said: Still freaking expensive...

That's because Austria is an extremely expensive country - if you are based here, you just can't compete on price, especially if you need staff. It's just like Switzerland , Liechtenstein or Monaco, just with lower net incomes, much higher taxes and far more regulation...

• Vienna said: That's because Austria is an extremely expensive country - if you are based here, you just can't compete on price, especially if you need staff. It's just like Switzerland , Liechtenstein or Monaco, just with lower net incomes, much higher taxes and far more regulation...

They used to be able to sell things cheap, check on their previous LE* offerings.

• Try to see it from another perspective - the less very cheap stuff they sell, the better the performance for the rest of the customers will be.

• @zhuanyi said: They used to be able to sell things cheap, check on their previous LE* offerings.

Yes, I know. Everyone who wants/needs international customers has to do that at some point, and usually racks up massive losses during that time. Hopefully one manages to build up a good reputation for quality during that phase which then enables to charge more for quality. However, once you have a lot of clients - whether cheap or expensive ones, let alone abusers - you'll need more staff which leads to very major cost increases, so you either manage to increase ARPU dramatically or you'll soon be out of business. Btw, EDIS still seems to offer some cheap stuff via Waveride.

• rds100 said: Try to see it from another perspective - the less very cheap stuff they sell, the better the performance for the rest of the customers will be.

Agreed, but not everyone is willing to pay for 20 bucks a month for a 512MB VPS :)

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited March 2014

But not everyone NEEDS a VPS in Liechtenstein :) The whole country is probably single homed anyway.

• rds100 said: The whole country is probably single homed anyway.

No, it isn't single homed:

traceroute to 88.82.108.1 (88.82.108.1), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
     1  212.114.58.1 (212.114.58.1) [AS61230/AS24940]  0.284 ms  0.171 ms  0.156 ms
     2  core1.nue.de.filemedia.net (88.198.73.65) [AS24940]  2.763 ms  2.619 ms  2.495 ms
     3  hos-tr2.juniper1.rz2.hetzner.de (213.239.235.241) [AS24940]  2.336 ms hos-tr3.juniper1.rz2.hetzner.de (213.239.236.1) [AS24940]  18.578 ms hos-tr1.juniper1.rz2.hetzner.de (213.239.235.225) [AS24940]  2.076 ms
     4  core12.hetzner.de (213.239.245.65) [AS24940]  1.918 ms core12.hetzner.de (213.239.245.189) [AS24940]  1.770 ms core11.hetzner.de (213.239.245.53) [AS24940]  1.637 ms
     5  core4.hetzner.de (213.239.245.33) [AS24940]  5.532 ms  5.401 ms  5.271 ms
     6  juniper4.ffm.hetzner.de (213.239.245.1) [AS24940]  5.145 ms  3.592 ms  5.471 ms
     7  de-cix.feldkirch.tkswf.at (80.81.193.139) [AS6695]  18.261 ms  19.424 ms  19.283 ms
     8  94-199-168-230.fknet.at (94.199.168.230) [AS48362]  15.071 ms  17.017 ms  16.914 ms
     9  gi0-0-1-231.core1.dc2.kyberna.net (88.82.127.170) [AS39145]  16.779 ms  16.677 ms  16.575 ms
    10  gi0-25-222.pop1.dc2.kyberna.net (88.82.126.118) [AS39145]  18.511 ms * *

traceroute to 88.82.108.1 (88.82.108.1), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
     1  192.111.145.81 (192.111.145.81) [AS31863]  6.156 ms  6.167 ms  6.083 ms
     2  199.191.57.193 (199.191.57.193) [AS4805]  0.490 ms  0.566 ms  0.741 ms
     3  dct-cr03--v51.dacentec.com (199.255.156.54) [AS31863]  9.361 ms  9.079 ms  9.154 ms
     4  v795.cr01.atl01.mzima.net (67.199.136.161) [AS25973]  8.992 ms  8.994 ms  8.950 ms
     5  vlan-74.ar1.atl1.us.nlayer.net (69.31.135.166) [AS4436]  14.232 ms  11.755 ms  14.003 ms
     6  ae3-115.atl11.ip4.tinet.net (199.229.231.217) [*]  72.100 ms  10.234 ms  71.941 ms
     7  xe-1-1-0.zur11.ip4.tinet.net (141.136.108.62) [AS3257]  122.565 ms  164.601 ms  164.463 ms
     8  kyberna-gw.ip4.tinet.net (77.67.76.214) [AS3257]  122.764 ms  122.873 ms  122.780 ms
     9  gi0-0-2-235.core1.dc2.kyberna.net (88.82.127.185) [AS39145]  124.602 ms  124.721 ms  124.735 ms
    10  gi0-25-222.pop1.dc2.kyberna.net (88.82.126.118) [AS39145]  126.146 ms * *

Thanked by 1rds100
  • ExPl0ReRExPl0ReR Member
    edited March 2014

W1V_Lee said: Odd, I thought they would be more worried about fixing the current issues before promoting for new customers, price is way to steep for the current service on offer

Hi from EDIS! What would you do if you have the services ready? ;-)

@ ALL: agree, this is an expensive location, but it is unique and you will not find it anywhere else.

Colocation in Liechtenstein is quite (!) expensive. Around US$ 900 /month for a 10 MBit/s shared link and 1U, single homed with 1A electricity.

EDIS purchased the clientbase of a Liechtenstein hosting company (KYBERNA AG) 3 months ago. Without doing this, we would not be able to offer these services, because we would simply not be able to pay for a rack in Liechtenstein and if we still would, the product would be not 20$ /month but 70+. But this is just a side note from me.

We know that this is not a LE-deal, but we did not post this offer here.
    We still think that the introductory 50% lifetime discount offer isn't too bad for Liechtenstein. Anyways ...

**To all of you who think we abused LE***

This is not true and not fair! We appreciate every single contact we gained trough this community and every help we got from this community from the very beginning.
    Not to forget about William whom we got to know on LEB ... and not to forget Liam!

EDIS was forced to take all entry-level plans off the net, because we were just not able to handle rolling out 1000+ machines /month. Our staff got sick and some had to be hospitalized. We thought that this would be the end of the story. In addition to that, our entry-level products were purchased by clans who love to attack each other or attack in general. This is not good and we were forced to take measures in order to keep the remaining staff healthy and the company alive.

We send out a newsletter in the beginning of February that we were short on staff.
    Headcount was down to 4 - ususally we were 12 or 13. Apologies for every single ticket we were unable to answer. We were just not capable to do so and only focused critical incidents.

I would like to once again come back to the topic of EDIS abusing this community:
    We've always been here on LE* and we will always be here. We were quiet for some time, but this is not because we left the community or because we are rich and retired now ;-)

There will be offers again in the future, but for now it is more about recovering from a really hard time and bringing new staff to a good level.

William had to be hospitalized with a massive burnout and one of our most senior colleagues René faced the same and he left EDIS. Not to talk about everything else that happened after that, ... panic ... but this is to be written on another page.

Maybe you understand the whole situation better after you read this.

Question: we have massive unused resources in terms of OpenVZ in Chicago.
    Anyone interested in a LE-offer? Tell us what you need ;-)

Cheers,
    Gerhard

--
    EDIS GmbH

• MrXMrX Member

zhuanyi said: Still freaking expensive...

Compared to other hosts in Liechtenstein, you mean?

• MrX said: ompared to other hosts in Liechtenstein, you mean?

there are not other VPS providers in Liechenstein

• LeeLee Veteran

@ExPl0ReR said:

I will hang my head, apologise and walk away now :P

• MuZoMuZo Member

ExPl0ReR said: there are not other VPS providers in Liechenstein

but yes, you are probabilly the only one with english support and international orders.

BTW does https://thelie.li/cloud.html runs in the same datacenter / hardware?

• MrXMrX Member

ExPl0ReR said: there are not other VPS providers in Liechenstein

There are. But aside from that, it was a joke.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@ExPl0ReR but i we can keep the little boxes? what about upgrade 1gig disk to 2gig?

• MrX said: Compared to other hosts in Liechtenstein, you mean?

nope, compare to what EDIS used to offer at some pretty exotic locations...

• @ExPl0ReR said: Around US$ 900 /month for a 10 MBit/s shared link and 1U, single homed with 1A electricity.

Wow, that's even more that Telecom Liechtenstein's fastest business connection (50/20 inkl. 8 IPs+more if needed for CHF 910/month). =:o

• MrXMrX Member

zhuanyi said: nope, compare to what EDIS used to offer at some pretty exotic locations...

You're right. EDIS should have told their partner in Liechtenstein that they should lower their prices to match Netherlands, UK, Germany, and so on. Otherwise, people over at LET would feel sad.

We all know Liechtenstein is a relatively low-income country, where data centers have an interest in matching other, uncomparable countries in terms of hosting costs... Right?

Ever been to Liechtenstein? They make Switzerland seem cheap. Everything is expensive there.

• Just bought one, I'll throw in a review in a bit!

• ExPl0ReRExPl0ReR Member
    edited March 2014

MrX said: We all know Liechtenstein is a relatively low-income country

Hope you only forgot the smiley icon ;-)

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited March 2014

Ah, Liechtenstein, yes, one of my earliest intents finally fulfilled (And that even with full knowledge that it will cause my business income loss, talk about loyality. :)), i hope it runs well as the former location picks (Sweden and Poland noted in particular).

I won't comment on the staff problems and decisions implemented currently (or in the future) besides my own, that's simply not my job. @ExPl0ReR did a good job with that, disclosing more info than i wanted but i clear that up now for the sake of it.

ExPl0ReR said: William had to be hospitalized with a massive burnout

Yea. I wish it would be just that. Certainly would be much easier. I am heavily paranoid about what i say and in general as depressed as nobody can imagine by now/currently but i still can't let that stay uncommented, both to say strongly that the workhours or general work at EDIS did not cause this mostly and to just clear some stuff out. This will be long.

So lets clear table a bit in that way, as the german speaker would say. I try to not hijack the thread though. If you want to reply send a mail. My mail address is well known (hint [email protected]/si). I actually wanted to hide this to not have any attention/"compassion" by it, i see already how this will be bad.

Yes, i work on and off the last weeks (months by now). More off than on. Currently i'm on "vacation" because my primary doc is along with my therapist on holiday (nojoke) and i just won't go to another to get me a sick form. There, some rare insight in my mind. Now furthermore take into account that i know this is stupid but can't do anything against it. Want to know more?

My life pretty much turned from "very good" to "jump from that building" (and i was more than one time already up there) in just over a year, but this is certainly not a simple burnout situation - Too easy. Sure, i worked too much but this did not cause this issues. - For René, yes, i don't doubt it at all.

For me - Much more. A lot of factors come into play here. Most of which nobody here would understand. Horrible factors.

Things in the last year (more.. end of 2012) just caused it to explode, or rather the depression and implications (against some you simply cannot win, i realised that the hard way) by this had a down causation attached that i don't wish to anyone, even Heng Lu (inside joke, read in the RIPE mailing list if you have access).

This is Europe, i don't earn as much as others here - High tax, high social insurance, no higher education, knowledge does not negotiate payment here, your school and previous work years do. Much like the US just taxed to the extreme on top of it.

I spent/spend all my money and donations on lawyers (250EUR+/hour), insane illogical fines (for example weapons storage because they accussed me i STORED the ammo in the plastic bag they used to transport it away at the raid - HERE is the truth, and this DOES fulfill ALL legal requirements as i live alone and its locked bedroom) but what should i do? I can't process against them, i don't have the money to pay for this (many hours of lawyer work, many instances, years in worst case), so i have to pay the fine. And the next one, and the next one. Weapons storage this, drug ownership that (in amounts that REQUIRE by law that the case is closed, unless they say i am SELLING, yes, i am selling from this 5g hash i had there. Of course.), money here, money there, money gone, debt.
    And then when i have money life/god/the universe crashes it over again, broken washing machine in january, broken water heating now (which i simply cannot afford to fix and shower at 15C). Again and again. Never ending. I got one minimal step away from the upper class border and a few months away from fixing my health problems (by money obviously) and only working for fun anymore to nothing in not even 2 years.

It caused me to remember (rather non-surpress) things from long times ago (PTSD..) and recognize other heavy mental issues that just did not work out anymore as before and faded into chaos without "me" noticing for months, i don't want any contact with my family anymore due to this and they won't pay anyway (or any "Involvement with you for now").

I had my problems (and "personality traits") balanced and a "non-veto" agreement on questions (like, some context, Sweden yes/no) was 99% of the time right and very good for the future: surpress this memory here and that there, live avoiding the public but it's ok you don't need anyone anyway, IRL friends or a not just a sexual relationship (not bad though), maybe with a girl this time? Fuck it, i have 250Mbit, why would i need anyone to bond over.. (hint: no, this does not work forever) and get a second "face" 9-5 for work. My workface was and still is nearly opposite of reality and most of the time i'm innerly horrified and in panic, but what should i do - I need to work or i don't have money to pay things that i have to or worse things happen. I tried to work good, and i think i did, but this just destroyed me more and more.

Depression, Paranoia (it is NOT normal to jump and grab a knife when some police sirens go by outside, or to never open the door, or to panic when someone calls that you don't know, or to have 3 cameras in and outside your flat that record to a non-networked PC where i SOLDERED the wifi module out (IMAGINE, it was a Intel BGA i soldered out with a 5W soldering iron and a needle because it could be tapped otherwise - THIS IS NOT NORMAL.), Suicidal because of PTSD and Flashbacks, loss of any feeling as coping mechanism, Left alone and needing social contact in one personality side but actively avoiding it by the other because it will break up anyway or i won't be accepted (and it by now simply causes panic when i just go outside, i can't even think to talk to anyone, not like i did before).. downwards.. bad. I lost 30kg (from 90 at 180cm) in 6 months, this is not even near stopping and i just stopped caring about it.

I did pull out before the worst case in January finally but let me tell you - I think it was not the best choice to seek help, and i tell you why.

After finally visiting a doctor (GP) i learned the very strange implementions of healthcare in Austria (i just want to say here that we pay a LOT in Austria for social insurance/health, even for the first world, i'm sure @ExPl0ReR can tell and i did not use
    -anything- in the last 8 years, not like it matters for them).

Medication? What medication, what you get is a joke (7mg oxazepam for major panic attacks that let me collaps in a store? what am i, a mouse?) and the maximum doses are even below the recommended ones by GSK/FDA/others (who the hell takes 150mg Wellbutrin and has any effect?). It's not free either, having to pay ~6EUR "prescription fee" (which is not bad. really.)

Therapy? "What therapy, here pay yourself at ~100EUR+/session - We might give you 20EUR per session back after 3-6 months and an analysis by our own psychiatrist here, no you cannot decline that and we don't care if you like him, oh btw your therapist also has to fill this form about what you do." I can't afford therapy anymore by now and am not eligible for any support of the "government". Therapy is free under 18 and readily available. Therapy over 18 is expensive and insurance paid one is only available if you are poor, have children, are seeking asylum (or a combination of these, the jackpot in our social system) or with exception for others with months long waiting. Or if you are in jail. It's hard to say but i see why you can't build a government in Austria anymore without the far right parties, they have some very valid points by now.
    I had (and still have) as "critical" case with possible suicide risk more than a month waiting time at a psychiatrist unless i pay it myself. If i go to the hospital i have to pay 10EUR/day MYSELF for the first 28 days - Seriously, what is that? if anything that just discourages everyone.
    Was/is not an option anyway, because in reality i have no one that would take care of my stuff (like my cat). I also don't let anyone control me, does not compute with stationary (which is default when you just state you think about suicide) or in fact all this investigation shit, it makes me insane.

Then after a transfer to the university clinic for dental problems (it's not problems anymore, it's death area, simple as that) i learned how this will cause me to go bankrupt and insolvent, learned how i HAVE to pay, go bankrupt over this payment or die over time from an infection in my jaw (which won't happen, because you are then just force to the cheapest/insurance approved method, which again means you possibly go bankrupt). All that with still months waiting time while i can hardly eat anymore. Cheap way 4000EUR (just smash out and full dentures, non reversible ever), reconstruction 15-20k. Current state simply causes avoidance of any interaction with anyone else (or limited to the minimum so i don't speak much) because it's simply shameful (though caused by genetics and anxiety/avoidance over many years, not entirely my fault i like to think). It's horrible to have an extrovert personality side and it is entirely cut off, and you (or at least i) need some human contact, not just work<->money for years alone.
    Again, this is free in jail (and there even the expensive method (implants) to avoid dentures). Funny. Therapy and this actually seem like very valid reason to go to jail by now.

Obviously with criminal investigations and the very funky court order sent to all Austrian banks accussing me of selling CP now i'm not good for any credit. I get funny offers at 10%+ and max. 12 months while my coworker with less income (and not even being Austrian) gets 5% at up to 120 months, i obviously have zero proof for this but let't face reality, if i would own a bank i would make sure also to leave an illegal hidden note as well to not give anything to this person. I don't even want to know how far this one-sided and entirely wrongly based order travelled by now. But i can't do anything against that either.

So well, a very far insight but i stopped caring about it. I just sit this out and wait what happens, it can't get much worse anyway (we all know this is not true, really.)

I just close this statement here with the words of not recommending anyone to move to Austria or live here if you can avoid it (but come to work at EDIS, worth it :)). Go to Germany as lesser evil (and if you know me you know if i say this it must be very bad.). This country is lost until some serious changes, even though the people are great.

(And for my paranoia i just leave this link here: https://www.ris.bka.gv.at/Dokument.wxe?Abfrage=Bundesnormen&Dokumentnummer=NOR12000053 )

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@William said:

I have just no words to express my feelings right now. I hope you canget this pass fast enough.

• emreemre Member, LIR

@william , come to Turkey, You don't need a visa :) I have a home and a spare bed with 10/1 Mbits internet connection I can share with you, Doctors are pretty cheap. Also Everybody here is on meds, We already have a dictatorship government. You will like it here :) PS: I have got 3 cats also , 1 is pregnant , waiting for new babies on 18th of march. Yeah FUCK the system. Come have some vacation.. PS: I was on RIPE list and read HUNG LEE stuff. In the end I think this guy is doing organized IP CRIME.

• @MrX said:
    Ever been to Liechtenstein? They make Switzerland seem cheap. Everything is expensive there.

yes. Liechtenstein is like the Switzerland of Switzerland. It's insane. There's no point in giving money to any Liechtensteinese business.

• Someone wanna share this email about Hung Lee?
    Other then switzerland not been as cool as it used to be, what actual benefits of going with a Liechenstein server?

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited March 2014

Please don't derail the thread.

AutoSnipe said: what actual benefits of going with a Liechenstein server?

Exclusivity, Data protection (the laws are nice, extremely clear worded unlike in the EU and with strict fines/jail), Outside EU, politically very stable (essentially a dictatorship that works because of the small size and rich population)

• Thanks @William , might have to read up on these laws.

Might get one of these vps if the laws work to what I need :)