Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vesta Panel
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vesta Panel

Hello all,

I am presently trying to check from free to use/ flawless control panel for Linux based VPS servers with the following conditions

1) It should work fine within 512 MB RAM
2) No vulnerabilities/ Regular updates
3) Have to support all basic functions that are required for server management
4) Good forum/ external company support if something goes wrong

I narrowed down two panels ISPconfig and vesta panel for the linux and installed Vesta panel in one of our VPS, it works fine, it does its job. I found that it automatically installs Nginx and Apache which boosts up the site speed, have less memory footprint and works smooth till now ( five days completed while this is being posted). The site loaded in this server seems to be loading fine, mail server working nicely, its also easy to use, have clutterless interface.

Since i am very new to this panel thought of getting some idea from experienced members of this forum

1) Is it a good panel?
2) Will it get regular updates?
3) Had it failed/ attacked because of any vulnerability like once Kloxo failed
4) Will it do all basic jobs of server management?

5) Can i continue using this?
6) How much percentage of VPS free panel users had tried this/ using this?
I am not a linux system admin, just have very basic idea about the control panel hence any suggestion is highly welcome.

Thanked by 1mehargags
Is Vesta Panel usefull for hosting in VPS?
  1. Yes, I tried it21 votes
    1. Nope never try it
      57.14%
    2. I dont know, just try it
      42.86%

Comments

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

its good one

• Hi,

Have you.considered Webuzo as a panel? Very easy to install and easy to maintain.

• @proxie said:
    Hi,

Have you.considered Webuzo as a panel? Very easy to install and easy to maintain.

Nope I never tried, i tried Webmin, Kloxo as free panel in this Webmin loads very slowly from my end, Kloxo it has lot of vulnerabilities, not developing much, hence after reading few reviews tried this panel. It works like a charm until now, thinking of moving few of my sites to this server, hence want to be more sure that this is going to work.

I never tried Webuzo, how to check that, it goes to Softaculous site only

• Webuzo is owned by softaculous its very easy to use the Also do support and is updated regulary.

Try it out see if you like it, http://www.webuzo.com/wiki/Install

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2014

Can't tell you what tomorrow holds for any of them but today vesta is a great choice. Could be the next cpanel, could be the next kloxo. As could many.

• Kloxo lost its charm because of its main contributors sudden demise and the confusion that went on with the company, slowly its getting stabilised, struggling for funding.

Is Webuzo a paid software (http://www.webuzo.com/pricing) or free only?

• ReeceReece Member
    edited February 2014

Pretty neat little panel, We're deploying for everyone who wants a free panel.

• Any opinion on Zpanel vs Vesta Panel vs Kloxo vs ISPconfig

• Webuzo is actually really nice...

• Webuzo is free you buy a license to install more software from them..

Zpanelcp i would stay away from its not really developed much other than a few people and its 3rd party apps are less productive.

Vesta looks good, in my opinion i would choose either. Webuzo or vesta.

Webuzo comes with loads of options for web server ngnix, apache and a few others can be installed via a click of a button.

Has multiple php choices.

Multiple database options.

Regularl updates and always improving, i wouldnt cross it off your list.

• programerprogramer Member
    edited February 2014

Just installed Webuzo in one of my VPS, feeling not so impressive, it seems to be more or less a script installer rather than having a look and feel like a control panel for VPS or server. It seems we have to login to two different login options to have more control over installation, am i reading right or missing something?

• Yeah webuzo is just script installers making it easier to manage a vps, port 2004 is for the server config and port 2002 is just the cp for your website. Its a single vps control panel solution. it uses low ram and as I say it takes all the hardwork out of installing things such as ngnix, apache and php versions etc.. you can still configure everything it just installs it all for you. you can change the theme using 2004 login and go into general settings.

• I have tried VestaCP before, and I was honestly impressed. Really easy to use, didn't have many issues. My only issue with it is that it does not support nginx only. I don't want apache on my servers since I only use nginx. If I had the option to have nginx only, I would use it in a heartbeat.

• Both Webuzo and VestaCP are good, but just keep in mind that you can only have one hosting account in Webuzo. That means you cannot share the panel with others or start providing hosting with it. It is still a great panel and I highly recommend it. I have been using installing it for some of my client's websites (Im a web developer) and everyone loves it.

• @Ksubedi tbh vps are aimed for a single user which require that little bit more resource and control and not to start hosting clients, although you can i personally wouldn't. Both excellent choices which ever you choose. :)

• I will talk from personal experience.

VestaCP, ISPConfig, KloxoMR, CPanel, Interworx are good panels.

If you dont want security vulnerabilitys, sorry to tell you this but that's not gonna happen. How each of them respond to a vulnerability I can tell you this:

• ISPConfig: few vulnerabilitys, most of the time they fixthem very fast, it's a bit cumbersome to setup everything right manually but you get to learn and get used to the panel and the OS integration. A very good panel, specially for the price.

• KloxoMR: few vulnerabilitys since the developer decided to fork the original Kloxo, but it's getting heavier on resources and it's GUI it's a bit dated. You get an automated install and the support is based on talks on their forum. In order to make it big, it needs more official developers.

• VestaCP: a very young project, so far it's been a special experience with it. I have had some issues with it but they weren't VestaCP's fault, they were related to distribution issues mainly config files in their packages (Ubuntu 13.10, exim, dovecot and mysql showed as stop when the process was running and Debian 7 exim problems). The code is fully open, the bugs are being fixed fast and the community in english is growing (a big plus). How long will they keep it like this, hopefully for a long time just like ISPConfig. At the moment I'm prefering more VestaCP because the GUI is very basic and it's lite on resources.

• CPanel: it has a long history on web hosting control panels, vulnerabilitys get patch fast and it can be optimized to run on small vps 512MB ram (by todays standard of high memory vps), but it has a price.

• Interworx: it's mostly used on Europe on some points is better than cpanel, but it's a bit more expensive than cpanel (depends on the provider).

Now the answer for your main question:

If your looking for a good panel with a low cost (zero cost) and excellent history of updates and support go for ISPConfig.

If your looking for a good panel with a low cost (zero cost) and your willing to try something that looks like it's going to be great in a long term, go for VestaCP

Thanked by 1programer
  • If you're too cheap for cPanel, which is still the gold standard, then VestaCP is a good choice. I've been using it for almost 6 months and it works perfectly on my 512MB VPS.

My only complaints are a lack of SFTP support for offsite backups and lack of IPv6 support, although I've read this is coming within the next quarter. They're also adding the ability to use nginx only in the next release.

I'm probably going to go back to managing my server without a control panel as I really don't host many sites, but Vesta is a good solution if you don't want to mess with configurations manually.

• ksubediksubedi Member
    edited February 2014

@proxie said:
    Ksubedi tbh vps are aimed for a single user which require that little bit more resource and control and not to start hosting clients, although you can i personally wouldn't. Both excellent choices which ever you choose. :)

That's true, but you can use vps to provide hosting (even install cpanel and run a full hosting environment). I didn't know what OP intended, so just threw that out there. I put 3-4 of my client's websites in one VPS if the sites aren't that important.

Plus for my use, I dont even use a panel. SSH is my best friend.

• I'm using Vesta panel for some projects, works well and simple to manage.

• I had a look at all the cPanel alternatives recently.

Webuzo - just a way for Softaculous to sell their product for people who do not have a panel already. Very basic and you will need to command line lots of things, so kind of defeats having a panel in the first place.

zPanelX - been there, done that, never again. Some nice features but security cough

ISPConfig - Priced well but confusing to use. Layout has some issues but you could say the same for cPanel. Otherwise solid and very secure.

OpenPanel - only supports Debian based distros as opposed to my RHEL-based CentOS preference. Approaching 3 years since the last release, and it is a pity as it is a nice panel. Could actually give cPanel a real scare if the devs were actually serious about it.

EHCL - Seems to have ceased development. Looks similar to ISPconfig.

Ajenti - More an admin panel than a hosting panel, they do have a hosting plugin for Debian-based distros but it in closed beta. I was not able to try it, but have used the base Ajenti admin panel on other servers and certainly like it.

VestaCP - I've tested it and it is most definitely the rising CP star, but I do not believe it is ready for prime time just yet. As mentioned above, IPv6 support is now crucial and it is lacking in the current release. Reverse-proxy Nginx support is fine for me, although Nginx as the primary webserver will be better and I am looking forward to that coming too.

It is still early days for VestaCP though, but it is going in the right direction. I will be moving MOST of my 'lower-end' VPSes to that for basic hosting & mail. If I could cluster two together, I could then almost drop cPanel entirely. The majors will stay cPanel for the time being.

Thanked by 1programer
  • @thekreek said:

Now the answer for your main question:

If your looking for a good panel with a low cost (zero cost) and excellent history of updates and support go for ISPConfig.
    If your looking for a good panel with a low cost (zero cost) and your willing to try something that looks like it's going to be great in a long term, go for VestaCP

A very clear, nice explanation which I had expected as an outcome of this thread, I am trying VestaCP already, its really fine, even I am thinking of replacing my Cpanel VPS with this panel since my websites not even use database, and also will try ISPconfig in one of my VPS shortly.

• Open panel seems to be a product of a small team who dont work much on their panel, EHCL, Ajenti are not for me, its for sure, May be webuzo or VestaCP is the right choice for my work

• akzakz Member
    edited March 2014

ive tested a few and if u want a nice gui there are only 2 real players. but i believe vesta will work, my personal findings:

ehcp - while panel is good, support is barren and main install is a pain. software itself feela dated.

zpanel - security issues asside the new version works great with a nice gui very stable. very close clone of cpanel.

agenti - as others have said more a admin panel.

vestacp - if i was gonna replace cpanel/zpanel this would be the likely candidate. runs low on resources, beautiful gui as well.

ive had vesta running on a idle box and its pretty stable i would def use it for most of my lowend projects.

Thanked by 1Monsta_AU
  • Monsta_AUMonsta_AU Member
    edited March 2014

@programer said:
    Open panel seems to be a product of a small team who dont work much on their panel, EHCL, Ajenti are not for me, its for sure, May be webuzo or VestaCP is the right choice for my work

I wouldn't recommend Webuzo at this stage unless you want Softaculous installs. The pricing per year is not bad at all, but it is very basic. I would suggest getting a cheap, cheap VPS somewhere (or spooling up a VM at home) and testing it out first.

The fact OpenPanel seems so dead is a real shame, it could be really good and challenge cPanel in a big way. VestaCP is about the only way forward if you want a non-cPanel install, and it's definitely worth running it up to check it out.

Interworx was also on my list and seemed pretty good but you really need a cluster of two to unlock the power in it, and you need the full 'dedicated' licence for it. Still, it is around the monthly cost of cPanel for the VPS license which might be useful to some.

• programer said: Kloxo lost its charm because of its main contributors sudden demise and the confusion that went on with the company, slowly its getting stabilised, struggling for funding.

Kloxo is still in constant development, AFAIK, and the latest version is 6.1.18 there are several hosting providers from Hungary, Spain, and Netherlands that still contributing to Kloxo & HyperVM.

• Back to topic. VestaCP is very easy to install and setup. Despite of the fact that it is not a mature product, VestaCP is in constant development and in fact it is production ready.

VestaCP has a lot of powerful command line functions that makes it special, and looking at how it is built, VestaCP might be among the best free hosting control panels both for newbies and geeks alike. :)

Just like ISPConfig, VestaCP provides a paid support feature as well as community based support. If you do speak Russian, their community forum full of knowledge gems that might help you with setting up a perfect VestaCP installation. :)

• vRozenSch00nvRozenSch00n Member
    edited March 2014

ISPConfig3 is a mature product and has a lot of features. The key to a successful ISPConfig3 installation is a sufficient knowledge of Linux so you can get the most of its power and functionalities. :)

ISPConfig3 supports clustering and integration with billing softwares, and by subscribing to http://www.howtoforge.com/ you can get the Admin Manual. :)

I can't say much about ISPConfig3, as In my opinion ISPConfig3 comes with a long history of great Linux Know How. IMHO ISPConfig3 and http://www.howtoforge.com/ are inseparable. ;)

Thanked by 1karjaj
  • programerprogramer Member
    edited March 2014

I had installed few panels by purchasing small test VPS's and tried the panels in my own, it seems VestaCP is a really good panel, its simple, fast, easy to deploy and have most commonly used functions. If it has a Cpanel/ Direct admin to Vesta transfer option it will be surely used by many. Have to try Zpanel, will update if it works fine

• @programer said:
    Have to try Zpanel, will update if it works fine

Please don't. I had a couple of VPS's running it and they got compromised. The only way to fix it was a complete reinstall.

zPanel should be off your list, plenty of people around here will tell you the same thing.

• I had just installed Zpanel in an empty VPS to check, the interface is good, but as conveyed by many it should be out of my list>