Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DoS on my home IP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DoS on my home IP

Hi there,

I know that someone really hates me for being a concurrent. I'm a live streamer and he hates it. So, to avoid my webcasts, he is putting me on a DoS-attack every time when I'm doing my show.

Is there any way I can do about it? I could setup a firewall, but my ISP doesn't allow blocking port 80. So the floods keep coming to my router and I have to suffer. I'm really sick and tired of it. I e-mailed my ISP and they said it's my own problem to have network protection.

What can I do about it?

Comments

• How is he getting the IP?

• @Ishaq said:
    How is he getting the IP?

I visited his website in the past and now he got it out of the logfiles.

• DennisdeWitDennisdeWit Member
    edited February 2014

@Jack said:
    Do you have a static or dynamic IP?

Telfort (my ISP) claims it's dynamic, but when I reset my modem it still has the same IP-address, so I think it depends on my MAC-address (and therefore I would call it 'semi-static'.)

• I don't think that is a DOS, it sounds more like your network connection collapsing. Try streaming to a fake or alternative account and see if you get the same issue.

Mun

• Ask your ISP to change your IP? You can also try resetting your router or keeping it offline for a while so that your IP gets assigned to someone else.

You should also use a proxy to connect to Skype or any other Peer to Peer program (like Steam). As IPs can be found out using them.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@DennisdeWit said:
    Telfort (my ISP) claims it's dynamic, but when I reset my modem it still has the same IP-address, so I think it depends on my MAC-address (and therefore I would call it 'semi-static'.)

Yeah, some cable providers do that. Best way out of that is to get a new modem, I'm sure you can claim yours is broken or something. Here I can call India and get them to ship me a new modem for free with my ISP (Virgin Media). Then afterwards use a VPN. ;-)

• @Jack said:
    Do you have fibre or ADSL?

vDSL.

@Ishaq: I already asked my ISP but I don't think they will do it. I have the most annoying provider you could wish for.

• I've PMed you

• @Jack said:
    I suggest editing your MAC Address on your router and rebooting it to see if it gives you another IP.

I have a P-2812HNU-F1. How to change the MAC Address, and what should I change it into?

• @Jack said:
    I don't know what router that is?

Try going into the Admin GUI and finding where it says something about a Mac Address

It's a ZyXEL modem. And as far as I can see, it doesn't let me to change Mac-addresses.

• The best way to deal with this is call your ISP and ask them to give you another IP address. You probably shouldn't visit his website again.

• I'm not well-informed in this area but maybe install DD-WRT to your modem to change MAC?

• DennisdeWit said: Telfort (my ISP) claims it's dynamic, but when I reset my modem it still has the same IP-address

This may be an obvious question, but have you tried unplugging your modem for 5 or so minutes and then reconnecting it, instead of just resetting it?

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2014

Things to Try -

1) Keep asking to be elevated via Phone support. Eventually you should be able to get to someone who will actually be able to solve the issue (works with TPG for routing issues, so it will CERTAINLY work for simpler matters).

2) Turn off your modem, disconnect it from the line. Wait 10 minutes. Reconnect - repeat. Try and get someone else to take your IP. If you know someone else on your ISP get them to alternate their connection status at the same time and perhaps you will swap.

3) If your ISP supports multiple connection modes (e.g PPoA and PPoE) try switching them, if they are different connection servers you will most likely get a different IP.

4) Test if it is MAC or username bound and that your ISP is not lying, connect with another persons details (with permission).

4.1) If you get a new IP, contact your ISP it is most likely account bound.

4.2) If your IP doesnt change either install a router firmware that can change the MAC address or get a new router

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • I find with comcast that just reseting most often than not pulls the same IP. Try taking it off the network for like 5 minutes

See if your router has like a mac clone feature, enable and reset modem.

• @DennisdeWit said:
    Telfort (my ISP) claims it's dynamic, but when I reset my modem it still has the same IP-address

Depends on the length of the lease. It's possible you'll get the same IP when that is up. Maybe try changing your mac address, if you can.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

If possible try shutting it overnight,.

• The only way you can get rid of your friend who ddos you, it is this why
    1. change ip from your ISP ask to be changed
    2. use a cheap vpn connection and mask your IP so you should have no problems again if he finds you :)

• login to your modem and change the MAC address, that will change IP.

• I can't change my MAC-address, I had my modem shut down for hours, same old IP.

Telfort says I won't get a new IP and that it's my problem.

• Change your ISP?

Thanked by 2Mark_R Janevski
  • What router do you have? I have a 7 year old netgear, and I can manually change MAC.
    Maybe that is the issue. Your routers cpu is too slow, and reboots everytime there's too many open connections from this dude.

After the router issue is solved.
    You really should get a VPN. (as many others pointed out)
    I know vpn.sh and they are very cheap and got servers in heaps of locations.

• @DennisdeWit buy a router (TP-Link ones are really great) and they don't cost much. Your IP will change when you have setup the new router (I have Ziggo and when i installed a new router my IP address also changed)

• @dms1899 said:
    What router do you have? I have a 7 year old netgear, and I can manually change MAC.
    Maybe that is the issue. Your routers cpu is too slow, and reboots everytime there's too many open connections from this dude.

After the router issue is solved.
    You really should get a VPN. (as many others pointed out)
    I know vpn.sh and they are very cheap and got servers in heaps of locations.

It's a ZyXEL P-2812HNU-F1. I already set up my own pptp-vpn on the server I rent.

• Have you tried reporting the problem to the ISP (poor speed test, network congestion, etc.)? Maybe try to work through the problem that way instead of insisting on a new IP address (if that's the fix, let them come to the conclusion on their own).

• can you find out what the dhcp lease time is? if you reconnect within the lease time you will get same IP. if lease time is 1 day, only reconnect after 1 day offline. you might find that the lease time is 1 week. can you connect a different router? tha would have different MAC, and then get a new IP. try going back to your old router after a week, and see if IP is different or not.

what country? DOS is illegal in many countries now. your ISP should help you if someone is doing something illegal. or report this person to their ISP, and if necessary try the police. the problem is that this kind of problem is new. if you said "I'm being DOS'd" then probably the police will wonder what you mean. or think you mean MS DOS :)

• Bruce said: can you find out what the dhcp lease time is? if you reconnect within the lease time you will get same IP. if lease time is 1 day, only reconnect after 1 day offline.

That's only for the internal network / LAN as far as im aware?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Try getting your ISP IP details, then make it static with another IP on the same range

• @netomx said:
    Try getting your ISP IP details, then make it static with another IP on the same range

Will try that! I know the IP details as it's in my router status info.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Try to ping the new IP first, be sure it is not used