Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Content in the offers posted on LEB - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Content in the offers posted on LEB

2»

Comments

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited April 2012

@VMPort everyone can disappear, even you at some point.
    (no need to say "no" because everyone would say the same here however we saw even more reputable hosts disappearance)
    UptimeVPS posted offer was just offer - and nothing more than that. We all knew the risk included and yet some tryed own luck. It's no one to blame here except ourself. Some hosts stay, but many come and go. Wherever there's something suspicious LEB don't save with warnings, rather opposite. And yet there are failures, sometimes even unpredicted but that's not LEB/LET administration responsability but our own. You may have best intentions but there's nothing to guarantee me except your word (which isn't a lot from stranger from internet) that you will be still here next year and year after.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Well, just check the past posts of LEA, they were good

• I'd personally like it if all offers were included.
    Yes, including the 'too good to be true', 'that can't be right' and 'omgwtf'.

After all, LEB is merely a directory of offers. There's no 'we're responsible for your actions' disclaimer, it's your decision whether to trust a company with your money.
    The commentary on the blog usually helps in these kind of situations anywa, when disgruntled customers declare war in the comments; pitchfork in one hand, keyboard in the other.

Thanked by 2Spirit netomx

@ElliotJ said: I'd personally like it if all offers were included.

Yes, including the 'too good to be true', 'that can't be right' and 'omgwtf'.

After all, LEB is merely a directory of offers. There's no 'we're responsible for your actions' disclaimer, it's your decision whether to trust a company with your money.

The commentary on the blog usually helps in these kind of situations anywa, when disgruntled customers declare war in the comments; pitchfork in one hand, keyboard in the other.

Yes, that. with a taste of "It seems too good to be true, at your risk" like LEA

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@netomx
    well, i did that and what I could see there are ups and downs there aswell. some has all information that's wanted by the community but there's also some that is the opposite.

I can not and will not spend alot of hours searching about some obscure provider, mainly because someone will always find more and ask "why didn't you include this?"

I will however learn by my mistakes and make it better next time.

Thanked by 1netomx

@elliotj

if all offers that are sent in would be posted it will be a full time job. especially if the community wanted all that extra info thats not included in the original email.

And then someother readers would be angry because of that.

• @MikHo said: mainly because someone will always find more

And this isn't necessary bad! That's why we use comment option. It work great most of the time :) Don't be afraid to post some offer just because part of community won't like it. It's should not be important if people will like it or not. You're here source, someone who give us basic info and then it's up to us if we consider it worth to invest into or not.

@Spirit
    thanks for the kind words, i'm not giving up already :)

its just that it hurts a little when the first comments that comes out is about whats not there.

• @Spirit said: @VMPort everyone can disappear, even you at some point.

(no need to say "no" because everyone would say the same here however we saw even more reputable hosts disappearance)
    UptimeVPS posted offer was just offer - and nothing more than that. We all knew the risk included and yet some tryed own luck. It's no one to blame here except ourself. Some hosts stay, but many come and go. Wherever there's something suspicious LEB don't save with warnings, rather opposite. And yet there are failures, sometimes even unpredicted but that's not LEB/LET administration responsability but our own. You may have best intentions but there's nothing to guarantee me except your word (which isn't a lot from stranger from internet) that you will be still here next year and year after.

I don't get your point?

All i said was some people moan when LowEndBox post offers from sketchy hosts and then some people moan when they only post offers from established hosts.

I'm not arguing with anybody, im just stating the facts.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited April 2012

@MikHo it's not problem in you or your posted offer. Not even close. There's some general unsatisfaction with this new LEB management, how things were before and they are now. That's not your fault and no one seriously blame you for that so don't take it personal and keep good work.

It's really not important if some test IP or something is missing here and there and also you don't have always all informations which may interest every individual here. We're more than capable to ask host in case of interest - like we always did. And it's not like LEA was always that perfect too. Some of us idealise him more and more now mainly because unsatifaction toward new, half-inactive management.
    Most important here is new offer or/and new host discovery. And as long it suits to basic lowendbox criteria some missing trivial details which everyone can research or ask should not stop you from posting offer. It's not like old LEA would do always all researching work for us :)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@MikHo said: if all offers that are sent in would be posted it will be a full time job. especially if the community wanted all that extra info thats not included in the original email.

If it helps, Mark & Joe actually do back/forth with the person wanting to post, very little hunting was done from what Joe said on IRC. If the person wanting to get posted won't take the time to submit the proper information the first time, then they'll have to wait for the people that did.

From what Joe mentioned, some emails come in full of helpful information while others are 'lol i opened a company! check out cheapvpsforrealz.tk'.

@spirit is right in that it'd be awesome to source offers from WHT that never got sent forward, but then how many posts do you want going up a day? If the site is flooded with postings, good offers could get pushed to page 2 before they get time to shine.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: If the site is flooded with postings, good offers could get pushed to page 2 before they get time to shine.

"if" :P

@Francisco said: 'lol i opened a company! check out cheapvpsforrealz.tk'.

love this one

• NickMNickM Member

Seriously, LEB needs a standardized form that providers have to use to submit their offers, asking for all of the standard information that everyone wants. RAM, disk, B/W, network speed, IPv6 availability, test IP, test download file, and whatever else is decided.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    edited April 2012

@NickM so there should be only "please post my new coupon offer at LEB" from now on? I am impressed how clueless are nowaday visitors of those sites about true "I found this 5$ vps..." lowendbox blog.
    LEB don't needs a standardized form that providers have to use to submit their offers. Infact it don't even need submitted offers - take those as bonus. What it needs is active administration capable to share with us also offers from all around companies which don't submit offer here but match LEB criteria.. just like it was always.
    Whoever request limitating "standardized form" of anything ignore the fact that LEB didn't grow with submitted offers by hosts but random LEA discoveries, tips to LEA from random community members, googling, posts from WHT,other forums, etc..

• flyfly Member

first of all:

what.

second, from what I could understand from your mumble jumble of text, looks like you're saying we shouldn't add standardized forms to new leb posts because the old leb didn't have them. well, i'll be damned.

• NickMNickM Member

I'm by no means saying that a standardized form should be the only way LEB gets offers, or that offers should only come from providers. "Here's an offer I found on WHT", or "NickM from LET found this offer from Company X" type posts are always good for the community. But, such a form would serve as a good template for what information should be included in an offer that gets posted.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited April 2012

@kbar said: looks like you're saying we shouldn't add standardized forms to new leb posts because the old leb didn't have them

No, I said that we shouldn't add standardized forms to new leb posts because the old LEB wasn't COUPON CODE site but site which introduced us new hosts. New hosts which often didn't even request to be posted here. Standardized forms limit us to only those hosts which request to be featured here. bye bye interesting LEB with new interesting hosts then...

As you're most likely new here I will introduce you what I mean with random old LEB featuring:

Another tip from William, and this time EDIS from his home country of Austria. They run their own data center in Graz, Austria, and call their brand of OpenVZ servers “Virtual Root Server”, which starts from €2.99/month (~USD$4.15) for VRS Smart. Here is the spec:

128MB guaranteed/256MB burstable memory
    1GB storage on RAID1
    40GB/month data transfer
    OpenVZ/Custom web-interface
    Servers in Austria, and I think you can use their website’s IP address to do your ping/traceroute tests. Price does not include VAT so add 20% if you are from UK/EU. 1GB storage seems to be the deal breaker here — what can you fit in just 1GB? A single purpose DNS server perhaps. At least it was a bit more spacious than when it was first announced — just 300MB of SSD space! Even my first Linux box, circa 1995 running Slackware, has more storage than that.

With your suggestions you eliminate most of this above (what LEB is built on) and request that every random company like Edis step in touch with LEB first in order to be fatured. This is just dumb and limitating. With your approach we wouldn't ever heard for so many great LEB discoveries. Standardized forms is just excuse for not to be active and for waiting offers (mostly same know hosts) instead introducting new hosts - how boring and limitating.

Thanked by 2Liam netomx

@Francisco said: If it helps, Mark & Joe actually do back/forth with the person wanting to post, very little hunting was done from what Joe said on IRC. If the person wanting to get posted won't take the time to submit the proper information the first time, then they'll have to wait for the people that did.

From what Joe mentioned, some emails come in full of helpful information while others are 'lol i opened a company! check out cheapvpsforrealz.tk'.

Have to agree that the difference in "quality" of the emails sent from providers are almost like the posts :) some have "everything" except gossip in them, some only have the basics specs.

the hunting part I had in mind was more about reviews, rumors, things that have happened in the past that possibly could put the provider in a bad seat regarding getting his offer posted.

@NickM and @Spirit
    Some sort of "form" is needed, perhaps not for the provider to fill in but for the writer to use as a checklist of what type of information needed to make a post.
    What questions to ask the provider to make the post as good as it could be, no matter if it was submitted by the provider or by a tip or finding it on some other site.

• flyfly Member
    edited April 2012

for anyone who doesn't understand english, here's what I meant by standardized form:

form noun \ˈfȯrm\
    Definition of FORM --------------------
    a : established method of expression or proceeding : procedure according to rule or rote; also : a standard or expectation based on past experience : precedent (true to form, the champions won again)
    b : a prescribed and set order of words : formula (the form of the marriage service)

It doesn't mean putting up a fill-in-some-boxes page on LEB and just taking whatever providers fill in and posting on the site.

it means having a standardized list of features for each post for readability.
    FOR EXAMPLE:

1) ipv6?
    2) location
    3) ram
    4) hdd
    5) bw
    .....etc

• NickMNickM Member

@MikHo said: perhaps not for the provider to fill in

Part of the point in having the form is to keep you guys from having to play email tag with providers to get the info you're looking for.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited April 2012

@MikHo I am curious. If you find 5$ vps from denmark or norway (we haven't seen those at LEB yet) would you post it at LEB or you would wait in case that host in next few years find this site and decide to send standartized form?

@Spirit i would post it, after emaling the provider. for the usual checks ofcourse

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • I want to see posts have as little information as possible now. I want to see Company name, URL to Company, price, basic specs and coupon code if applicable and maybe direct links to ordering.

The less info required the better. the LEB community can fill in the rest in the comments.