Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Should I move from dedicated servers to homelab?

I currently runs everything on OVH KS-2 and KS-LE-B, cost more than 400 USD per year. Should I use around 400 to 800 for a homelab PC?

Comments

  • unsafetypinunsafetypin Member
    edited 3:33PM

    i personally run everything in my garage and then front with VPS at a few different providers. I have 2x ISP at home and then wireguard to connect everything up. I also managed to lease an IPv6 /48 and have Onidel announce this which has been pretty cool to have that public ip space available. my power cost is far more than 400 USD per year for cooling and rack power though...it depends on your needs and you would need to figure out what your actual costs would be

  • VPSPioneerVPSPioneer Member, Patron Provider

    It's everyone's dream indeed :smile: The concern is: handling traffic and attacks, possible fire, hardware issues and energy backup maybe more... But if you're only hosting your apps, you're always at home or designed well monitoring system and backup/coverage. Of course would be perfect for you.

  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

    We run everything in the house and have DNS records pointed at the home router.
    Internet is $40/month and electricity is included in rent, so there's minimal cost.

    Edit: please stop nmap'ing us.

    Thanked by 1monsoon73
  • It depends on how much you're willing to invest.

    I would only self-host at home with a UPS, multiple ISPs with failover, enterprise hardware (ECC memory, enterprise drives) and good cooling.

    That is expensive, and a home setup still carries more risk than a provider.

    For critical services I would stay on dedicated servers(or veepeesss)

  • fredo1664fredo1664 Member
    edited 4:03PM

    I went the other way around, homelab moved to full specs KS-LE-B. I have only kept a small NAS at home, and even that I don't really need.

    Pretty happy with the setup. The monthly price is the final price, no electricity bill to monitor or 6483847 euro RAM sticks to buy as a spare.

    Thanked by 1Hitori0221
  • AndruAndru Member

    Short answer, keep your dedis.

  • @Hitori0221 said:
    It depends on how much you're willing to invest.

    I would only self-host at home with a UPS, multiple ISPs with failover, enterprise hardware (ECC memory, enterprise drives) and good cooling.

    That is expensive, and a home setup still carries more risk than a provider.

    For critical services I would stay on dedicated servers(or veepeesss)

    the coolest thing i ended up doing was having 2x isp and then 2x firewalls, each one having one of the physical ISP connections, then adding routing between both so they both can use either ISP as failover. has saved me a few times now...

    Thanked by 1Hitori0221
  • @fredo1664 said:
    I went the other way around, homelab moved to full specs KS-LE-B. I have only kept a small NAS at home, and even that I don't really need.

    Pretty happy with the setup. The monthly price is the final price, no electricity bill to monitor or 6483847 euro RAM sticks to buy as a spare.

    That’s exactly the reason I keep my Synology powered off. Price of HDD is crazy these days.

  • kukara4kukara4 Member, Patron Provider

    If you are asking this, probably nothing critical runs there. Move it home, why overpay

    Thanked by 1unsafetypin
Sign In or Register to comment.