New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.
All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.
All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.
[HELP] post-Laptop retirement | Which NVMe to pick |1x PCIe 4.0 | 2x PCIe 3.0| $1000 budget
Dear LET,
I decide to my retire my laptop because I thought it's about time I replace my main machine.
similar spec and situation to @host_c's previous laptop
Now, I'm in unfamiliar situation, as it have these NVMe slots:
- 1x PCIe 4.0
- 2x PCIe 3.0
Unfortunately, it doesn't have slot for 2.5" HDD, so, which drive I should choose considering the following:
- Heavy dev usage
- Will be running close to 24/7/365 except when I turned it off for travel
- Last more than 7 years (10y is ideal)
- Okay with vibration & shocks
I happened to purchased 1x WD IX SN530 2TB nvme for $220 on a whim, should I cancel it?
Budget: below $1k to populate all the 3 slots.
(plan with deferral until AI bubble pops is welcome, as I'm going to upgrade the ram gradually to 128GB DDR4)


Comments
How about WD Red SN700 2TB ?
ooh, someone like me.
Hmm, I see... (updated the OP, turns out it's IX SN530)
Yes, the HDD power on hour is 5 digits.
Doesn't say much, that could be a year or a decade. I don't think I own a drive that doesn't have at least 5 digits of power-on hours...
It does remind me though, my main pc's HDD is dying at the worst possible time, but hey, at least I got ~5 years out of it. I can hear it dying when I'm working
how about pm9a1 2tb with 2 kioxia bg4 1 tb? i'm using oem ss for 5 heavy db vms just fine
It's 4xxxxH.. Previous drive retired because click of death
mine 79,320 hours
Nvme,
Update @itzsenu @mphteam
Now
1. WD IX SN530 2TB (5,200 TBW)
2. SAMSUNG PM9A1 2TB (1,200TBW) (Actually want Micron 7450 PRO 1.92TB but very expensive $450+)
3. ?
Remaining budget $550
I'd rather stayed away from WD: out of 4 drives 1 died within 3 months, 3 others behave "funny": full read spead while files are fresh, after 3-4 moths speed drops to 30-40%.
Uh, which model
Statistically, the problem is you.
@rpqu
Unless you run 24/7/365 IO intensive apps that need 100K iops @ 4K, it will make zip shit importance for a desktop/laptop the PCI-EX generation on the NVME you choose. Also, is you CPU up to the task to do 6 GBPS constant R/W??? The heck you got there, Ryzen AI MAX ?
Also, if it is similar to my old Panasonic CF54, it will run on GEN 3 not Gen 4 as it has no clue and never heard of Gen 4.
You sure you can pop 128GB ram in that laptop?????? it must defenetly be an AMD, as Intel sucks in that category.
Dev is one thing, long powered on hours mean 0 to a drive ( even HDD ). Bashing the shit out of it is the killer.
Last more than 7 years (10y is ideal) - now, my friend, really, 7YRS???? a consumer device?????? you ok?

Get a decent 3.0 drive/drives and move on. LET's have the conversation on what to buy next in 5 years ok? maybe then we will not pay 500 USD for 2TB of NVME.....
WD blue will suffice, you can go crazy on Samsung PRO, but I would not spend the premium
PS: I also ditched my new DELL I7 Ultra, moved to M4, and with this I divorced MSFT 4 LIFE, but that is another off-topic discussion. ( why? well now I have 14-16H of battery life , yeeeee )
I used a Dell Precision 7530 for about a year. Never had any issues with it. Only downside was the battery life, around 1 hour.
Good old days that ram was the cheapest thing
Hey. For context, I have severe distrust over consumer-grade hardware. I still remember fondly of WD green, then SMR, and SSD issues. My friends NVMe drives (consumer grade) died after 2-3 years of usage.
Yes. I hope WD IX SN530 and SAMSUNG PM9A1 could last for 10Y for heavy dev usage.
Are you selling? I'm interested. Can ship to EU location?
PS: The seller laughed when I asked whether there's a HDD 2.5" bay. How else I put HGST HDD drive?
can me and @Murv populate two of the slots?
I'm afraid that you can't fit the 80mm slots
don't underestimate the smallness of my murv