Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Servers + Hosting website offers limited information - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Servers + Hosting website offers limited information

13»

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@debug said: Let's see, let's say you started managing servers at 13. He's 15. That's only 2 years of experience

Experience isn't measured in years.

@debug said: and with that you still don't know how to properly chmod a directory (or prevent directory listing with cPanel :|).

While I can understand this is rather vital for server management, you shouldn't forget that many people that are good at things at a young age, "learn on the go" - meaning they literally learn things as they are doing it, and as a result only learn the things they need. It may seem as if someone "knows nothing", whereas he simply doesn't know a few things you expect him to know, but has a very good understanding (and/or technique) otherwise. You can't call someone inexperienced because he doesn't know the things that you consider to be important - maybe his situation is entirely different?

@debug said: While there isn't a yearly handout of 'experience', being older does guarantee a larger chance of being put in situations

Correct, but that does not make it grounds to assume that someone that is younger must thus automatically have less experience.

@gsrdgrdghd said: I think we can all agree that experience can be only gained over time.

Uh, no, we can't. And suggestive statements like "I think we can all agree that [...]" while there is clearly a dispute over it, typically do not add value to a discussion and only tend to derail it.

@gsrdgrdghd said: Therefore a 15 years old can't have as much experience as a 35 years old (given they both started managing servers at the same time

Wrong. Experience isn't measured in years.

@gsrdgrdghd said: and gained experience at a same rate)

And there you have the vital point of experience vs. time, which basically leads to a contradiction in what you said yourself. You can't assume that everyone learns at the same rate, as typically that is not the case. It is extremely unlikely for any two individuals to learn about the same thing at the exact same rate.

• vedranvedran Veteran

Experience and knowledge are two different things. Someone can be experienced but that doesn't necessarily makes them knowledgeable.

Experience can (only) be gained in time.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited April 2012

So you are saying that my basic assumption is wrong, but argue against the conclusions i drew from that assumption? That doesn't make any sense.

@joepie91 said: Wrong. Experience isn't measured in years.

And i never said that experience is measured in years.

@joepie91 said: You can't assume that everyone learns at the same rate

Of course i can assume anything i want and then draw conclusions that are only valid if the assumption is true. For example i draw the conclusion that the traveler salesman problem can be solved in polylogarithmic time under the assumption that P=NP

Also to quote Wikipedia:

In logic an assumption is a proposition that is taken for granted, as if it were true based upon presupposition without preponderance of the facts

So you can't say:

@joepie91 said: You can't assume [...]

@vedran said: Experience and knowledge are two different things. Someone can be experienced but that doesn't necessarily makes them knowledgeable.

Experience can (only) be gained in time.

The two concepts of experience and knowledge are so closely related that they can practically be considered the same in this context. Experience is something that, again, is not measured in time. As an example, take the following scenario: person A is 15 years old, and sits on his ass doing absolutely nothing except for casually reading some C++ articles for 5 years. Person B is 15 years old, and then spends two years on learning C++ and writing software. While person A is clearly older, and has 'spent more time', it would be rather clear that person B has more experience.

@gsrdgrdghd said: So you are saying that my basic assumption is wrong, but argue against the conclusions i drew from that assumption? That doesn't make any sense.

Um, no. I'm pointing out the contradiction in what you said. First you say 'experience can only be gained in time' as if nothing else is relevant, then you suddenly introduce a new element (the 'rate') that basically invalidates time as a metric in itself.

And i never said that experience is measured in years.

Experience and years were the only things you mentioned in that sentence, the only thing I can do there is assume you are implying a relationship between the two.

@gsrdgrdghd said: Of course i can assume anything i want and then draw conclusions that are only valid if the assumption is true.

Of course you can assume anything you want, and it can be valid, but that does not mean it is true. And I was under the impression we were discussing reality here, not a hypothetical world where specific assumptions are true while they aren't in the 'real world'.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited April 2012

So you are saying that you took this:

@gsrdgrdghd said: experience can be only gained over time.

as logically equivalent to:

experience is measured in years

because

@joepie91 said: Experience and years were the only things you mentioned in that sentence,

??

@joepie91 said: the only thing I can do there is assume you are implying a relationship between the two.

If i wanted to imply something i would have written "implies".

@joepie91 said: And I was under the impression we were discussing reality here, not a hypothetical world where specific assumptions are true while they aren't in the 'real world'.

So the best you can say is that my statement didn't contribute to the discussion, but you can in no way say that its false.

My original point was that you don't get experience overnight, it takes some time. Sorry if you understood it differently

• tl;tr

@debug @gsrdgrdghd agreed, well said.

@joepie91 why you're defending the OP so much?

there was enough drama with HostSnowy. I'm not going to continue an argument here. i'm too bored of that.

@OneTwo said: @joepie91 why you're defending the OP so much?

I'm not "defending the OP". If you read back my posts, you will notice I never even mentioned CubixCloud once. It's simply that I'm getting sick of people discriminating others based on age, which is really not a relevant metric in 99,99% of the cases.

@gsrdgrdghd said: My original point was that you don't get experience overnight, it takes some time. Sorry if you understood it differently

Oh, I definitely agree it takes time. It's just not reasonable to judge someone based on how much time he has spent on it, since practically noone learns at the same rate.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

All you haters - just keep in mind that @EricCubixCloud has customer testimonials to prove you all wrong. I mean, they're right on their front page - actual quotes:

"I highly recommend them"
    "Amazing Technical Support"
    "I love my service with CubixCloud"
    "My account was setup instantly"

I'm sure those are all legitimate...aren't you? :-)

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • @raindog308 said: I'm sure those are all legitimate...aren't you? :-)

Yes! They are from Twitter, other review websites, and user quotes :)

• @raindog308 said: All you haters

Just to point that out, i'm not a hater. i just said what i think. in the end it can be a decent vps provider, but i don't think so.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@EricCubixCloud said: Yes! They are from Twitter, other review websites, and user quotes :)

If so, I would include a screen shot of the twitter comment or a link or something. They look very fake. Tons of fly-by-night hosting companies have fake quotes in their templates so that's the perception.

Also, the "Customer Testimonials" link goes to a page that doesn't have any, which reinforces the perception.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • @raindog308 said: Tons of fly-by-night hosting companies have fake quotes

agreed. @EricCubixCloud kid that looks fake. Put the sources somewhere.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • @OneTwo said: kid that looks fake.

Interesting language.

@OneTwo said: Put the sources somewhere.

Good idea.

Thanks for the suggestions to help improve the new site, everyone. Keep them coming :)

• NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited April 2012

Some wierd spellings going on in the "network" page.

All Minecraft Servers are hosted in the OVH in Roubaix, France

All Web servers are hosted in the Colo@ Data Center in Atlanta, USA.

All VPS servers are hosted in the Dupont Fabros Technology Data Center in Chicago, USA.

Yeah, something does not seem right. Maybe try:

All Minecraft Servers are hosted at OVH in Roubaix, France

All Web servers are hosted at the Colo@ Data Center in Atlanta, USA.

All VPS servers are hosted at the Dupont Fabros Technology Data Center in Chicago, USA.

• @NateN34 said: Yeah, something does not seem right.

No big deal, I'll have to clean up the network page just a bit though.
    Good catch, thanks.

• @NateN34 said: Some wierd spellings going on in the "network" page.

... I love the irony of having your own typo in that statement.

Thanked by 1DanielM