Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

are proxy websites harmful for servers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

are proxy websites harmful for servers?

Hello,

someone wants to transfer many proxy websites to my server
what can you advice me?
are they harmful?
many hosting companies do not accept them! why?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Yep, because they are commonly used to access malicious websites and download malware. They also consume lots of bandwidth and memory BTW.

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited February 2014

WOW - 2 days a go you did not understand DNS,

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/21411/about-transfer-and-dns

Today you asking about hosting proxy sites on your server - i am lost for words..

• @painfreepc: What's wrong with wanting to learn new things?

• Proxy's are NOT harmful. And not everyone who uses one does so to do what forthcloud is suggesting. Thats profiling. They also do not use alot of memory, my proxy's use about 3mb of ram total. but the bandwidth they use depends on what they are used for. High bandwidth is a sign of lots of downloading. But a few gig is just web browsing proxy.

Everything I do is filtered threw 1-3 proxys.

<<<< I'm crazy thoe.

• On a side note, are there any proxy's that need some help? (Legal ofcourse)

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

I don't use a browser proxy, but in general I think they're okay, for a single website or a little download. For continued browsing and big downloads, I use VPN. :D

• SSH tunnels are always much faster and only use bandwidth; I've never seen a benefit using a proxy.

• Web proxies are only abused if the webmaster is a noob and doesn't lock it down tight. Unfortunately most proxy webmasters are noobs. But you would expect the established ones to know what they are doing.

They are resource intensive though. Bandwidth and RAM. Bandwidth is cheap, RAM isn't. Also if they are SSL proxies then they use up CPU time as well but owners of SSL proxies are probably going the dedicated server route anyway.