Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About transfer and DNS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

About transfer and DNS

Hi guys,

is it possible to migrate from server to another one without touching DNS?
is it possible to have a fix DNS even i change all the server and IPS

Thanks in advance

Comments

• You have to change A records and MX records (if you are using mail on the server) if you change servers.
    That is if you host the DNS at a offsite place. I use DNSMadeEasy for all my DNS. There is allot of DNS services out there.

Still, do you change server (IP) you has to update A records (and MX records) every time.

• thank you @myhken, do you have a tuto of how to do that?

• It's different from all the different DNS hosts. So you have to find a DNS host you want to use (free, cheap, not so cheap etc) and then most likely they have a nice howto guide.
    You also have to change all nameservers on your domains to the nameservers of the DNS host first time after you start using them.
    After that, you only have to change A records on the DNS host when you change servers.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I just use Cloudflare. The registrar often uses the same NS they had on the other registrar, so no issues with that.

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited February 2014

@Abdessamad said:
    Hi guys,

is it possible to migrate from server to another one without touching DNS?
    is it possible to have a fix DNS even i change all the server and IPS

Thanks in advance

That's like asking, can i move from house to house to house and have my friends visit me without giving out my new address..

@netomx said use a CDN (CloudFlare), what would be the point in doing that, you would still need to login to the cdn and change old ip to new ip, same thing you would do with dns A record.