Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why the interest in Raspberry Pi - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why the interest in Raspberry Pi

2»

Comments

• @iwaswrongonce - seriously buy one (I bought one as just a download box at home that didn't take much power. After playin with it a bit I love it lol.
    But seriously go get one and just try and see what you can so. Push the thing until it crashes or whatever. (I've tried and it is still going)

• @AutoSnipe said:
    iwaswrongonce - seriously buy one (I bought one as just a download box at home that didn't take much power. After playin with it a bit I love it lol.
    But seriously go get one and just try and see what you can so. Push the thing until it crashes or whatever. (I've tried and it is still going)

Oh, I definitely plan on getting one for home. Bet it would be fun to play around with. That's exactly my point though, is it was designed to be a lower power, general purpose computer for the masses.

It just doesn't make sense in a DC. The idea behind a data center is by being a dense center of computing, economies of scale are reached with lower costs and higher levels of efficiency.

• Well in Australia for example (where I'm from) the fastest net speed we can get is 24mbit (in the bigger cities) 8mbit in most and where I am I get an awesome 1-3mbit.

I personally would put it in a data centre as it's low cost (and the dc knows it) and they are easy to use and putting them in a dc is just the hip thing to do. Out of the 2000 hosted a pcextreme I would say not even 1/3 are actually been used for anything.

Just a fun bit of technology. Supporting innovative ideas. And hey.. Marketing ploys (edis) work. They really do :p

• @AutoSnipe said:
    Well in Australia for example (where I'm from) the fastest net speed we can get is 24mbit (in the bigger cities) 8mbit in most and where I am I get an awesome 1-3mbit.

I personally would put it in a data centre as it's low cost (and the dc knows it) and they are easy to use and putting them in a dc is just the hip thing to do. Out of the 2000 hosted a pcextreme I would say not even 1/3 are actually been used for anything.

Just a fun bit of technology. Supporting innovative ideas. And hey.. Marketing ploys (edis) work. They really do :p

I'm using mine for smokeping. But it is heavy tough. Average load 0.38. (http://pi.f63.net/cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi?target=servers)

• Should give it to me I will put it to good use lol

My rpi @ home is currently just downloading some tv shows I missed last week http://uptime.evoburst.com
    Doing average 0.03

• @gsrdgrdghd said:
    1 core of an E5 probably equals 5-10 PIs

More like 50-100 and with some tasks, even 1000.

• Will someone explain to me why people would preferrably not buy cheaper tablets with the same or more powerful specs :s I have seen dual core tablets going for under $50 ! Quad core with the same price isnt far away, why not just colocate a tablet with a usb/lan port......

• @iwaswrongonce said:
    Still would be curious why a "cheap nerd" wouldn't just get a VPS.

vps does not give you a real, literally "hands on rip" experience. Like a buddy of mine says: nerds normally feel orgasm when they touch hardware or visit a datacenter.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@raza19 said:
    Will someone explain to me why people would preferrably not buy cheaper tablets with the same or more powerful specs :s I have seen dual core tablets going for under $50 ! Quad core with the same price isnt far away, why not just colocate a tablet with a usb/lan port......

quality, and I don't know where to plug some IO on the tablet

• @raza19 said:
    Will someone explain to me why people would preferrably not buy cheaper tablets with the same or more powerful specs :s I have seen dual core tablets going for under $50 ! Quad core with the same price isnt far away, why not just colocate a tablet with a usb/lan port......

The RPi is manufactured in the UK not somewhere overseas. It's a product made with a sane mind for people to dig into technology.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@skagerrak said:
    The RPi is manufactured in the UK not somewhere overseas. It's a product made with a sane mind for people to dig into technology.

AFAIK, not all of them are made in the UK

• I like to think of it as the upgraded arduino. It's the smallest computer that I know of that can actually function as a computer. What other reasons does one need! :)

• iwaswrongonceiwaswrongonce Member
    edited February 2014

@BuyCPanel_Kevin said:
    I like to think of it as the upgraded arduino. It's the smallest computer that I know of that can actually function as a computer. What other reasons does one need! :)

Again, that makes sense. That was what it was designed for, to be applied to uses that traditional computing form factors couldn't. Hosting it in a datacenter makes no sense.

@VDS6 said:
    vps does not give you a real, literally "hands on rip" experience. Like a buddy of mine says: nerds normally feel orgasm when they touch hardware or visit a datacenter.

Eh, not sure what you mean. If you mean it's the cheapest way to get bare metal, I guess. But really what do you gain from that vs. a Xen/KVM instance? The differences only become evident in high load environments, which the RPi is not.

• there fun to pay around with, my life wouldn't be complete without my Pi!

• I don't know either! A cheap thin client is so much better.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

I don't see how a host would be interested in hosting a Raspberry Pi for just a few dollars a month. You can't automate the setup and provisionment of a RPi -- someone is going to need to physically provision the device. A dozen RPI setups would eat up a considerable amount of sysadmin time.