Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why the interest in Raspberry Pi
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why the interest in Raspberry Pi

Figured I'd create a new thread rather than jack someone else's. Can someone explain this to me? It was designed with a completely different environment in mind, and given the overhead of a datacenter, seems like a very poor use of a limited resource. So aside from the because-its-new/cool/hyped crowd, I don't really get it.

Comments

• why buy a cheap 128mb vps? Simple for the sake of it & dev

• @TarZZ92 said:
    why buy a cheap 128mb vps? Simple for the sake of it & dev

They are not at all the same. It's much more efficient to take a powerful server, and slice it into 50 128mb VPS than it is to host 50 RPi. That's my point.

I guess the same could be said for the lowend atom offerings, but that's at least slightly more understandable.

• Yes but the geek factor of having your own RPi is MUCH higher.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited January 2014

You can do I/O and CPU abuse like you want, no one cares.

Some people here need this, but to be honest the 10Mb/s <3

• isn't it populair because of the low costs (perhaps power consumption) ?

i've seen some datacenters hosting those Pi's for free in the past.

• iwaswrongonceiwaswrongonce Member
    edited January 2014

@rds100 said:
    Yes but the geek factor of having your own RPi is MUCH higher.

I said aside from that group...

@Infinity580 said:
    You can do I/O and CPU abuse like you want, no one cares.

Some people here need this, but to be honest the 10Mb/s <3

So get a true KVM/Xen instance? Much better bang for your buck.

@Mark_R said:
    isn't it populair because of the low costs (perhaps power consumption) ?

i've seen some datacenters hosting those Pi's for free in the past.

The free hosting is just part of the hype. But low power usage != efficient. You would still need loads of them to match the compute power of higher level servers.

edited January 2014

Ugh no auto merge

edited January 2014

EDIT Vanilla really sucks. Really.

@iwaswrongonce get a kvm and you get suspended.

• @Infinity580 said:
    iwaswrongonce get a kvm and you get suspended.

Ugh, do people here have any idea of the cloud/VPS space outside of LEB/LET? You realize that MOST providers out there, provide dedicated resources?

@iwaswrongonce that would be more expensive then a pi.

edited January 2014

@Infinity580 said:
    iwaswrongonce that would be more expensive then a pi.

How? Show me numbers. Without even establishing how expensive an RPi is (I see one place that colos for 36EUR/year) that's dubious at best. And then when you consider the crappy processing power...

If someone does need to be hammering resources for an extended period, they are most likely doing batch work, in which case firing up expensive but heavy duty cloud instances for short periods is surely cheaper than RPi.

Or someone just needs to have a cheap server running all the time with intermittent activity, in which case a shared VPS is just fine.

So again, what's the use case here? I don't see it.

edited January 2014

@iwaswrongonce it depends, not everyone need full cpu cores from a E3 or E5, you can colo a pi for free for example at edis or from 1.59Euros per Month: https://kryutek.eu/colo and you can use the core the hole month so you get basically more.

• 1 core of an E5 probably equals 5-10 PIs

edited January 2014

@gsrdgrdghd Yeah but you can use one core a month, it takes longer but its cheaper.

And it depens on the application if you realy need a E3.

• @Infinity580 said:
    iwaswrongonce it depends, not everyone need full cpu cores from a E3 or E5, you can colo a pi for free for example at edis or from 1.59Euros per Month: https://kryutek.eu/colo and you can use the core the hole month so you get basically more.

That's great. You're completely ignoring the total cost of ownership. There is upfront cost to purchasing a RPi. What time period should that be depreciated over. And that core for the whole month, is a fraction of what a single core elsewhere would get you. If you ran the same workload on a VPS, it wouldn't get you suspended.

edited January 2014

25$ Setup fee for a free colo pi? pfff

Maybe you are right.. maybe

edited January 2014

@Infinity580 said:
    25$ Setup fee for a free colo pi? pfff

Plus ship it to the DC. So call it $35? Depreciate that over what 3 years? That's still $12/year assuming free hosting (which is really just an EDIS marketing ploy at the moment). You can get a much better VPS for $12/year that would give you more processing power and IO without getting suspended.

• Well, there is no point arguing. Some people want a Pi, some people want a VPS and some people want something different. If people want PIs, some provider will offer PIs. Most people will not have any use for a Pi, but then most people don't have any use for a VPS either.

• The fun thing is, I have been thinking about offering Rpi's. 10 - 15 euros a month for a B model and 2TB bandwith.

• @rds100 said:
    Well, there is no point arguing. Some people want a Pi, some people want a VPS and some people want something different. If people want PIs, some provider will offer PIs. Most people will not have any use for a Pi, but then most people don't have any use for a VPS either.

No no, don't get me wrong. I'm all for satiating market conditions, the more illogical and profitable, the better. So I am not trying to understand the supply curve, I am trying to understand the demand curve.

• Well, some people spend hundreds of dollars each month for VPS services they don't use but pay for. Several dollars a month for a RPi doesn't seem so illogical, even if it's not very powerful and useful. Then there are some people that are really paranoid when it comes to "privacy" and would never want to get a VPS for that reason.

• @rds100 said:
    Well, some people spend hundreds of dollars each month for VPS services they don't use but pay for. Several dollars a month for a RPi doesn't seem so illogical, even if it's not very powerful and useful. Then there are some people that are really paranoid when it comes to "privacy" and would never want to get a VPS for that reason.

They would fall into one of the aforementioned groups.

But privacy is the first good reason I've heard. That's an interesting point.

• c0yc0y Member

@taronyu said:
    The fun thing is, I have been thinking about offering Rpi's. 10 - 15 euros a month for a B model and 2TB bandwith.

Not going to work when the big boys have 10EUR/mo Atoms (MUCH MUCH MUCH more processing power), dedicated disks, 100mbps unmetered etc.

Then if someone is specially looking for a PI they can colo one for free with just the first month's cost with you. Hosting Pis is an illusive market...

• The 5/10 USD / month Atoms by Delimiter don't have a disk, isntead they have some virtual image on an iSCSI SAN. Not really dedicated, so not suitable for the privacy paranoid types.

edited January 2014

@rds100 said:
    The 5/10 USD / month Atoms by Delimiter don't have a disk, isntead they have some virtual image on an iSCSI SAN. Not really dedicated, so not suitable for the privacy paranoid types.

True, but the paranoid would likely encrypt anyway. And hosting something somewhere you have no control over is the biggest threat to privacy, even with precautions.

But online.net's 10EUR offering is probably more in line with what @c0y was referring to.

• c0yc0y Member

@iwaswrongonce said:
    But online.net's 10EUR offering is probably more in line with what c0y was referring to.

Yup, I was referring to them (also Kimsufi and Digicube and the likes though)

• @iwaswrongonce said:
    Figured I'd create a new thread rather than jack someone else's. Can someone explain this to me? It was designed with a completely different environment in mind, and given the overhead of a datacenter, seems like a very poor use of a limited resource. So aside from the because-its-new/cool/hyped crowd, I don't really get it.

We have a guy working for our company in Bulgaria who is all about Raspberry PI. He says: "When geeks do not have money for real hardware, they play with toys like PI". So true. He calls himself "a cheap nerd".

• I'm planning on doing a project with a series of rpi's in multiple countries :p
    Just need the countries lol

edited January 2014

@VDS6 said:
    We have a guy working for our company in Bulgaria who is all about Raspberry PI. He says: "When geeks do not have money for real hardware, they play with toys like PI". So true. He calls himself "a cheap nerd".

Still would be curious why a "cheap nerd" wouldn't just get a VPS.