Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My mind has been blown - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My mind has been blown

Comments

• The lack of chip and pin (EMV) is unfortunate for international travelers, but it doesn't matter much in the US since the battery in Coin only lasts for two years (at which point you have to replace the whole card). Merchant adoption of chip technology is going to take a lot longer than that -- just look at how many local merchants still use dial-up terminals.

• Very cool product, I remember seeing the video a while back.

Only reason I'm not rushing out to buy one is it solves a problem I don't have. If you have one of those George Costanza wallets tho, it would be great for you.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@Dylan said:
    The lack of chip and pin (EMV) is unfortunate for international travelers, but it doesn't matter much in the US since the battery in Coin only lasts for two years (at which point you have to replace the whole card). Merchant adoption of chip technology is going to take a lot longer than that -- just look at how many local merchants still use dial-up terminals.

$50 for 2 years (before the battery dies) doesn't seem unreasonable.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

In Australia everywhere has the chip feature. If your card has a chip the machine won't let you use the strip unless the chip has failed twice at the start of the transaction. Plus pay wave and pay pass have been heavily adopted.

Who has had their credit card data stolen and used?

I have a number of cards, and it's only happened to me once.

• ErnieErnie Patron Provider, Veteran

My only hesitation is it says it will only last 2 years for an average user then you need to buy a new one. You cant recharge or change the battery on it. What about someone that uses their credit card a lot. It may only last a year then you need to pay another $100 just not to carry your credit cards around?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@jbiloh said:
    Who has had their credit card data stolen and used?

I have a number of cards, and it's only happened to me once.

Once, in Spain

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I preordered this a few months ago just because it seemed interesting

@netomx said:
    Once, in Spain

I think it's a lot more rare (assuming you have basic common sense at play) that some suggest.

• I pre-ordered one a few months ago cause why not ;)

• It's awesome :-)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@jbiloh said:
    I think it's a lot more rare (assuming you have basic common sense at play) that some suggest.

Went once, three months later a charge appeared. Pretty weird

• For all the iPhone haters, I bought an Android tablet to use as an ereader (already have an iPad) and boy does it suck. Android is and order of magnitude worse than iOS.

• ihatetonyyihatetonyy Member
    edited January 2014

iwaswrongonce said: I bought an Android tablet to use as an ereader

Getting the feeling you bought something with a Rockchip, Spreadtrum or Mediatek processor.

And you should have gone e-ink, anyway. It's your own fault.

@iwaswrongonce said:
    For all the iPhone haters, I bought an Android tablet to use as an ereader (already have an iPad) and boy does it suck. Android is and order of magnitude worse than iOS.

The core of Android is more powerful and more flexible than iOS.

The thing Apple does AMAZINGLY is do less, but do what they do perfectly. Everything works, plus their hardware is simply beautiful.

I use an Android phone but I can appreciate the positives Apple offers.

• @jbiloh said:
    The thing Apple does AMAZINGLY is do less, but do what they do perfectly.

The core is not more powerful. If anything, iOS core is much more powerful, as Google has to be much more cautious and expend far more effort ensuring cross-compatibility. I don't mean to get into a fanboy flame session, but you're right in that it "does less" in that it requires less from the user. If you want flexibility, go Android (or jailbreak like I do). But I often found Firefox chewing up resources in the background, or some process locking up. Far more issues whereas Apple does tend to (not always) "just work".

Just my .02

• MunMun Member

The real thing the defines Andriod Vs. iOS is the markets.

Android is very open, but there are some very shady apps, as well as very horribly written apps.

IOS on the other hand is more restrictive so less apps can go through some times, but you are less likely to get a shady bad written apps.

I have both phones and actively use them. In certain cases I love my iPhone, and others my android.

So my suggestion is determine what you are going to be doing with your phone, and choose accordingly.

Mun

• I would be reluctant to just depend on just Coin and leave my cards home. In case coin does not carry out a successful transaction, I would regret not carrying my cards and hence from the next time would always take all my card with me. LOL

• I seen an advertisement for this and I realized that I never received mine when it was suppose to be sent out last summer?

Anyone else that order get theirs?

Thanked by 1Jonchun
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

http://blog.onlycoin.com/

By the time you get it, you'll probably just use your phone or watch.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • raindog308 said: By the time you get it, you'll probably just use your phone or watch.

Haha I already do.. I ordered this nearly a year and half ago..

• ehabehab Member

i am waiting until my finger or eye - voice identification pays and allows me to travel. Its called JustYou®

• TrafficTraffic Member

It is extremely insecure by design.

• ehabehab Member

@Traffic said:
    It is extremely insecure by design.

all eggs in one basket.

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

Prefer have five cards in pocket than spend 100$ for this shit. How about if got read errors,etc ? Everything fault at once :)

• tdaletdale Member

I think its time some of you asked for your money back haha

• jbiloh said: The thing Apple does AMAZINGLY is do less, but do what they do perfectly. Everything works, plus their hardware is simply beautiful.

I'm still very happy with my Sony Xperia Z1 and can't wait to get my hands on a Z3 (or a Z4 later this year). Their devices are of high quality, simple to control, and very tough. In addition to that, their batteries are amazing. While it couldn't really handle a full day on NYC with intensive camera and GPS usage (it handled it for 14 hours, after that it was at 14%), it can handle a full day of travel or normal work with phone calls, camera usage, etc. I've once been to London and used the camera extensively and the GPS occasionally and it was at 30% after 20 hours.

• akzakz Member

swipe or pin I think there will be a difficult time and also annoying time when the cashier wont let you use this card at some not so tech savvy retailers. Especially when no ones heard of it.

I recently got to try out mobile payments via my cell and out of 10 retailers only 2 allowed me to make the purchase with my phone without giving me a hassle or having to ask a manager who was also clueless to verify.

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

They are good about refunding. With all the extra time, you would expect a quality product. This is another similar project that looks interesting.

https://www.plastc.com/card

• tdaletdale Member

Soon TM