Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have setup VMWare ESXi but only have 1 Public IP, I need VM's to have internet access.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I have setup VMWare ESXi but only have 1 Public IP, I need VM's to have internet access.

Please read title.

Comments

• In the client, do you have the eth0 main setup and have the VMs connected to it? Typically a VM needs it's own IP unless you're megring/cloud setup/

• Use NAT? (never used vmware esxi)

• nat!

• ChumbiChumbi Member
    edited January 2014

Hmmm. VMware vSphere Hypervisor is an "operating system" designed for pure virtualization and supports neither NAT nor routing. Therefore, only a true bridged setup can be used. To use a subnet an additional IP needs to be setup as a router VM (used for subsequent NATs).

• I think I may have it working, just need to do a reboot and change VM started up and it should work.

• What is the subnet of the public IP?

• tridinebandimtridinebandim Member
    edited January 2014

off topic : should i configure vmware esxi to enable user quotas in virtual machines like openvz ? is it required or configured out of box?

• MarkTurnerMarkTurner Member
    edited January 2014

@tridinebandim - VMWare doesn't care whats in the VM container. It just provides a virtualised machine. All of these user quotas have to be supported by the OS/Filesystem you install ON the VM.

Thanked by 1tridinebandim
  • Got it working!!! :D

• For the record, all you need to do is run pfSense / Vyatta in a VM and plug that into eth0 and into another vNIC, and then hook all of your other VMs up to that vNIC. You can set vyatta up to hand out IP addresses over the vNIC and configure port forwarding, etc.

Performance is ok in my experience, but it definitely works, especially if you're trying to conserve addresses.

If anyone is interested I'd be happy to make a tutorial at some point? I've got an online.net box that I do this with for VMs because their IPs are expensive and some of my boxes are behind a web proxy anyway.

• @manacit said:

I got it working using PFSense.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Look at the vmware virtual appliance store for a router configurated VM and point your main IP to that vm. Setup up NAT and use that VM as gateway for your other VMs

• Generally, most networks will manage what devices can & cannot obtain a public ip address. If your VM is set for bridged networking, there is little chance this will succeed because the provider does not recognize the guest VM as a legitimate network user. NAT or Host-Only with host-side port forwarding will probably be the require method.

• ChumbiChumbi Member
    edited January 2014

@promethean said:
    Generally, most networks will manage what devices can & cannot obtain a public ip address. If your VM is set for bridged networking, there is little chance this will succeed because the provider does not recognize the guest VM as a legitimate network user. NAT or Host-Only with host-side port forwarding will probably be the require method.

There are providers who allow you to enter the (virtual) MAC addresses of VM network adapters at the provider's switchport.

If that isn't possible, you could always use internal bridging and pointopoint-route the VMs to the physical host. No NAT or port forwarding required.

• kyakykyaky Member
    edited January 2014

@rmlhhd said:
    Please read title.

You need vCenter, vSwitch & https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/PfSense_2_on_VMware_ESXi_5

Thanked by 1imchandave
  • I've got it all working now. Thanks anyways.

• Sorry for reviving an old thread, but care to share the details of how you got it up and running? I ordered a server from them earlier today, and ordered a second IP thinking I'd need one for the ESXi install and one for pfSense, but this other thread seems to indicate that might not be enough:

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/437487/#Comment_437487

Probably won't be provisioned until next week, but thought I'd look into things ahead of time (unfortunately not soon enough since I only saw this after placing the order!)

• I have two public IPs for my ESXi box from Quadix. One is for the main interface of my ESXi box, and the other is the main IP of my pfSense firewall which uses NAT for the clients behind it.

• @TheCTS said:
    I have two public IPs for my ESXi box from Quadix. One is for the main interface of my ESXi box, and the other is the main IP of my pfSense firewall which uses NAT for the clients behind it.

That's an interesting way of doing it.

@TheCTS said:
    I have two public IPs for my ESXi box from Quadix. One is for the main interface of my ESXi box, and the other is the main IP of my pfSense firewall which uses NAT for the clients behind it.
    @0xdragon said:
    That's an interesting way of doing it.

If you have KVM access or ILO access, only add a public IP to the ESXi when really needed. Like when the pfSense VM fails to boot.

• @MikHo said:
    If you have KVM access or ILO access, only add a public IP to the ESXi when really needed. Like when the pfSense VM fails to boot.

I'll get around to doing something like that eventually. I just wanted it up and running.

@TheCTS said:
    I'll get around to doing something like that eventually. I just wanted it up and running.

Honestly I did the same thing when I had a Datashack server. :)
    Then changed the IP of the ESXi via ilo to 10.10.10.10 or something when everything was configured.

• @TheCTS said:

That's how I was thinking I'd do it, but that message from the other thread indicated that might be a problem if the IPs aren't from the same subnet. So is it not a problem, or were yours from the same subnet?

• @Ree said:
    That's how I was thinking I'd do it, but that message from the other thread indicated that might be a problem if the IPs aren't from the same subnet. So is it not a problem, or were yours from the same subnet?

Nope, they're on two completely different subnets.

• @TheCTS said:
    Nope, they're on two completely different subnets.

Cool, hopefully that means it'll work without problems for me with the two IPs Delimiter will be giving.

• @Ree said:
    Cool, hopefully that means it'll work without problems for me with the two IPs Delimiter will be giving.

Did you order the extra two or is that the default they give? I know when I had one of their boxes, one of the two IPs was used up for iLO, and the other was the main IP of the box.

• They give one for iLO, one for the box, and I ordered a second for the box.

• you must have at least two IPs , because with one IP you will very promising pains :)
    i recommend you use mikrotik as firewall it's life time license is just 40$ , and absolutely in beatable but pfsense is nice too

• You could run an internal VM network that you can consider your LAN. Then use vyatta/vyos to do NAT to your WAN interface. Put the management interface on that network and setup a DNAT rule for it. Make sure you save you're config and have vyatta/vyos auto-booting.

• Can't seem to get the pfsense vm online...this was straightforward when I had a WSI dedi, but that had multiple IPs in the same subnet whereas now I have two in different subnets, so I'm guessing that might be the problem (for example I have no idea what IP to put as the gateway on the pfsense vm).

Might have to spring for the /29 if that's going to make things easier...networking is definitely not my forte so I have no idea what to try next.