Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

time for more popcorn (BurstNet moving out of Dallas?) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

time for more popcorn (BurstNet moving out of Dallas?)

2»

Comments

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@Jack said:
    Fair point, your post sounded like a dig at Burst though when you are really doing a similar Infrastructure to them.

It was an observation combined with an opinion. BurstNet hardly needs me to point out their failures over the past many years. Today's news is just the icing on the cake and deeply unfortunate for the presumably large contingent of impacted customers.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • But so far no-one has owned up to actually using their Dallas facility. It sounds like they don't have that many customers there anyway

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Their pricing isn't even that competitive. They are too expensive for "cheap" consumers, and too "cheap" for businesses that would make them more money.

• @shovenose said:
    They are too expensive for "cheap" consumers, and too "cheap" for businesses that would make them more money.

For every "informed" customer there are probably 10 not so diligent That's where the money is made . . .

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Microlinux said:

So sad, but true...
    On the other hand, I like it that our customers are better than theirs :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I think it's funny that anyone still calls Burst cheap. They're quite expensive by today's standards. They banked on being cheap and now they aren't cheap anymore. Never put all your eggs in a basket that's guaranteed to change in 5 years.

Well it appears they haven't been turned off yet. Maybe at midnight?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2014

@jbiloh said:
    Well it appears they haven't been turned off yet. Maybe at midnight?

Wait, it's closing that quick? Man I need to keep up. Under 24 hour notice = shit storm. Heading to Dallas tomorrow, shall I bring popcorn?

I'm wondering maybe Burst was not that big in Dallas seeing as the thread on WHT is pretty muted (assuming all Dallas customers got the email about the shuttering).

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@jbiloh said:
    I'm wondering maybe Burst was not that big in Dallas seeing as the thread on WHT is pretty muted (assuming all Dallas customers got the email about the shuttering).

Yes but how many of their Dallas customers are the type to run to WHT?

Thanked by 1Gien
  • Just as an aside... I was in that Dallas facility last week. While I have no specific knowledge of what cage or any cabinets may have belonged to burst, the facility as a whole was pretty full. However, there was no cage in there that appeared to have more than 20 cabinets. @RyanArp could surely confirm as he works in the same facility daily. Even if burst was nearly "full" in a cage, it still wouldn't have been many servers for a "large" dedicated provider.

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

@RyanD commenting on such a topic is not something I am willing to discuss on LET. I am sure the space that they have is well utilized since they have an on-site tech. As to what the dispute is I have no idea. Also if you're in the facilities make sure to say hi :) I am usually there 10AM to 6PM.

Burst vs VD, Burst vs Core, it is starting to look familiar.
    Maybe the time has come for some (bigger) bubbles to Burst.
    As I said, this will be an interesting year.

• @Maounique said:
    Burst vs VD, Burst vs Core, it is starting to look familiar.
    Maybe the time has come for some (bigger) bubbles to Burst.
    As I said, this will be an interesting year.

VolumeDrive's still going strong. They paid off the suit as well (or well, to be correct; their suiter has to place a lien and bond, then re-open the case, if they're not happy with the current settlement.)

• ryanarp said: commenting on such a topic is not something I am willing to discuss on LET. I am sure the space that they have is well utilized since they have an on-site tech. As to what the dispute is I have no idea. Also if you're in the facilities make sure to say hi :) I am usually there 10AM to 6PM.

@Ryanarp I was only in town for a day to tour 8600 and 1515 ;) Next time I'm in town I'll drop a message over ahead of time to say hello

• mywispmywisp Member
    edited January 2014

BurstNet was always a very reliable provider. I wonder what happened along the way? On the topic of "moving out" I wonder if its true that a lot of LEB providers these days don't have a "graceful Exit strategy", written down on their business plans. :(

mywisp said: "graceful Exit strategy"

They might have one, but will costs money, both for past bills and for future ones. nobody wishes to announce their customers, "hey our DC will kick us next month if we dont pay x amount, you should keep backups just in case". They hope they will get another extension, and another, etc. I am not talking about this case at hand, but in general. When servers are unplugged, they still hope will be able to salvage the data and move everyone.