Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

.io and .me which is better for a internet site? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

.io and .me which is better for a internet site?

2»

Comments

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited January 2014

skagerrak said:

For example: let's take prgmr.com. It clearly is a name-play domain because --obviously-- programmer.com would be taken. How do you share that via mouth-to-mouth propaganda? You would have to tell a full story how the other person could remember that. It would --however-- be easier to tell programmer.io or programmer.me or programmer.vps. Or you could simply share a link or a business-card. And if you do that the domain could even be

If you have a domain name like prgmr.com then you've either a) already decided that the loss of type in traffic is acceptable or b) you don't know how important people remembering your domain name is so you never considered it in the first place. If programmer.com is taken you choose a longer name. Say goodprogrammer.com or whatever. Longer names, multiple words almost anything .com is preferable to an exotic TLD.

All these new gtlds aren't going to get used. I promise you they will only end up being held by trademark holders and the odd domainer. People just don't recognize xyz.app as a domain name. They are NOT going to type that into their browsers. We've been down this road countless times before with .name, .mobi, .tel, .eu, .asia, .biz etc. All failures. The only mildly successful one is a .info and that's because it's cheap first year.

I ask you have you owned successful sites? If you have you would know how much value a .com holds over other TLDs.

And FYI people can't/won't always bookmark a site. Either they don't want to clutter their bookmarks with sites they've visited once or they can't because the system they are using does not belong to them. And with auto completion in the browser you don't have to bookmark sites anymore.

• @Abdussamad said:
    All these new gtlds aren't going to get used. I promise you they will only end up being held by trademark holders and the odd domainer. People just don't recognize xyz.app as a domain name. They are NOT going to type that into their browsers. We've been down this road countless times before with .name, .mobi, .tel, .eu, .asia, .biz etc. All failures. The only mildly successful one is a .info and that's because it's cheap first year.

Of course those new TLDs won't have over 100mio registrants, simply because the are not intended to serve that purpose. The intention is to provide TLDs for specific purposes. And if only the .com is the only meaningful TLD we should ask us why we have a domain-system at all.

And neither is .eu unsuccessfull. It is no. 10 of all TLDs.

I understand that you are arguing in favour for .com. Many people do that with the arguement of recognition and SEO. But that comes from the ideas of how the web works from the pre-2000 era. The USA didn't have a valid ccTLD that was marketed at that time so they went ahead and used .com as their pseudo ccTLD. Many companies in second- and third-world countries started using a .com because their own local registries/NICs were either too restricted or a bunch of lazy people.

But the formular of success==.com as in success==golden watch are long gone.

People don't recongnise what a TLD is at all. And they are right, because the DNS system is actually itself confusing. We sort from "sub.sub.sub.domain.TLD/ressource/link/directory/document.extension". That does not make any sense It should be as in Usenet. Only with that structure the arguement of a systematic approach with TLD might be valid.

If you have a domain name like prgmr.com then you've either a) already decided that the loss of type in traffic is acceptable or b) you don't know how important people remembering your domain name is so you never considered it in the first place. If programmer.com is taken you choose a longer name. Say goodprogrammer.com or whatever. Longer names, multiple words almost anything .com is preferable to an exotic TLD.

That is the same problem with IPv4. That works only for the first bunch of people to register a domain. But was does the Good programmer do? Have a website to be "bestgoodprogrammer.com" and his friend "thebestgoodprogrammer.com" and his neighbour "surelythebestgoodprogrammer.com" or invented names like "programmer1234now.com". This all is just a temporary work-around to the problem of the limited TLDs. The TLDs were designed to serve a limited group of people, especially commercial entities, networks, organisations and goverments. Not the third of dozen duplicate of a private website.

And FYI people can't/won't always bookmark a site. Either they don't want to clutter their bookmarks with sites they've visited once or they can't because the system they are using does not belong to them. And with auto completion in the browser you don't have to bookmark sites anymore.

That might be right, but that does not make .com a preferred TLD over any other TLD.

• skagerrak said:

I understand that you are arguing in favour for .com. Many people do that with the arguement of recognition and SEO. But that comes from the ideas of how the web works from the pre-2000 era.

I never said SEO. And my experience is from 2006/7 onwards.

skagerrak said:

That is the same problem with IPv4. That works only for the first bunch of people to register a domain. But was does the Good programmer do? Have a website to be "bestgoodprogrammer.com" and his friend "thebestgoodprogrammer.com" and his neighbour "surelythebestgoodprogrammer.com" or invented names like "programmer1234now.com". This all is just a temporary work-around to the problem of the limited TLDs. The TLDs were designed to serve a limited group of people, especially commercial entities, networks, organisations and goverments. Not the third of dozen duplicate of a private website.

Be creative is all I can say here. And yes thebestprogrammer.com is better than programmer.wtf.

skagerrak said: That might be right, but that does not make .com a preferred TLD over any other TLD.

Yes it does. You said that TLDs don't matter because people bookmark sites. I say it does because people don't/can't always bookmark sites meaning type ins matter and type ins are for .coms.

• edited January 2014

@Jeffrey said:
    Just get .com

That is very often not even an option due to the desperate .com bubble domain investors/brokers asking insane prices...

• Abdussamad said: Be creative is all I can say here. And yes thebestprogrammer.com is better than programmer.wtf.

I would not agree with that. Using a ccTLD for general purpose seems more creative to me than just slamming multiple adjectives together and thereby humiliating your domain name..

That said, people in the Netherlands don't know more than .com and .nl exists but even if you give them an address on a business card, they'll Google the name regardless.

• MitchellRobert said: insane prices...

$9.99/Year is not insane.

• .io is definitely more popular amongst the technically savvy and it lends a bit of credibility towards the geek audience, but the majority of the world won't care. Maybe bloggers will respect .me a little more but in general, they won't be too concerned.

• .io is the latest and greatest for startups.

But a trend is just a trend.

• srvsrv Member

io is better, for non private sites, but personally I prefer .com or .net

IO is not suitable for serious business use.

• XSXXSX Member, Host Rep

I like io

• @srv said:
    IO is not suitable for serious business use.

Any specific reason for that ?

• srvsrv Member

because most of average people consider extension like IO, WS, TO (and other exotic islands) as scam / not serious business. I´m sure 99% don´t know what coutry is it. These extensions are good for private websites/blogs or illegal content.

I prefer ccTLDs domains (for local business, like fr for France, ru for Russia, us for USA, ca for Canada, etc... ) - they are most reliable, or gTLDs.

• @srv said:
    because most of average people consider extension like IO, WS, TO (and other exotic islands) as scam / not serious business.

I doubt that the average people (read: no nerds) think about TLDs at all.

• I like .io better but think .me is safer.