Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

.io and .me which is better for a internet site?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

.io and .me which is better for a internet site?

For example, running a site provides clouds/hosting/DNS etc.
Which cctld is better for the above two?

Comments

• I like .IO personally, too bad they're just so darn expensive...

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@skybucks100 said:
    I like .IO personally, too bad they're just so darn expensive...

I like .io too. They cost about the same per year as a leb.

• I wish there was a sale on .io, I've been meaning to pick up one for a while now..

• @trewq said:
    I like .io too. They cost about the same per year as a leb.

Still, $100 (cost of .IO from Nic.IO) could buy me about 10 .COM domains. I wonder if after a while the cost will decrease to the price of .NET/.COM/.ORG/etc

• c0yc0y Member
    edited January 2014

@skybucks100 said:
    Still, $100 (cost of .IO from Nic.IO) could buy me about 10 .COM domains. I wonder if after a while the cost will decrease to the price of .NET/.COM/.ORG/etc

The recommended price of the registrar is seldom the right price. .io goes from anywhere between $40 and $60

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@skybucks100 said:

As @c0y said, they aren't that expensive.

• skybucks100skybucks100 Member
    edited January 2014

@c0y said:
    The recommended price of the registrar is seldom the right price. .io goes from anywhere between $40 and $60

Oh, well I haven't looked around that much I guess.. I always that thought the NIC register (I believe that's the correct name) had the cheapest price.

• @skybucks100 said:
    Oh, well I haven't looked around that much I guess.. I always that thought the NIC register (I believe that's the correct name) had the cheapest price.

Resellers are generally cheaper..

• c0yc0y Member

@skybucks100 said:

If you're a bulk reseller, then yes.

Otherwise they would have to use their manpower for consumers, which they frankly let cheapass Indian resellers take care of.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited January 2014

Gandi.net sell it pretty cheap and Namecheap had a promo before

• ZeroCoolZeroCool Member
    edited January 2014

.io or .me it's same level under google both them extension under Generic you can set geo target in to webmaster tools, if you not set google will read your hosting server location and the site language as the country target

• c0y said: The recommended price of the registrar is seldom the right price. .io goes from anywhere between $40 and $60

Hexonet.net did them for £29 last time I checked!

• .io is a startup trend I read somewhere

• Personally, I believe these new TLDs are overrated. I dont bother to remember what the site's address is. If I remember a name, I google it and find the address. I dont give a damn whether it's a .com. .io or .me. If your company has good SEO, you get visits.

• Wouldn't use any of them. Google doesn't like them yet.

• Just get .com

• @ztec said:
    Wouldn't use any of them. Google doesn't like them yet.

Google treats .io and .me as gTLDs.

• Personally, I prefers .me as a personal site, showing off the portfolio. The .io domain could be more appropriate for anything related to SaaS.

• I'm not too sure what .io stands for, when I look at it I think of input/output. so that's not too appropriate for an internet site is it? .me is better

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

From Wikipedia

.io is the Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for the British Indian Ocean Territory.

• Isn't it kind of unfair that ICANN pretty much controls this aspect of the internet? I'm not against paying to register a domain but heck, these guys got too much power.

• I prefer .io personally. Too bad the price is god damn expensive or I will get one for myself.

• For me both are good. If considering the price i would go with .me :p

• @NameStuff said:
    For example, running a site provides clouds/hosting/DNS etc.
    Which cctld is better for the above two?

In my opinion .io for that particular purpose.

• @joelgm said:
    Personally, I believe these new TLDs are overrated. I dont bother to remember what the site's address is. If I remember a name, I google it and find the address. I dont give a damn whether it's a .com. .io or .me. If your company has good SEO, you get visits.

Well yes and no. TLD matters because people remember some TLDs better than others and a lot of people still type addresses directly into the location bar. Googling URLs is something that noobs do or, as in your case, if you are unsure of the correct address.

I would still go with a .com. These exotic TLDs might sound nice but people don't remember them. Everyone assumes it's a .com.

• skagerrakskagerrak Member
    edited January 2014

@Abdussamad said:
    I would still go with a .com. These exotic TLDs might sound nice but people don't remember them. Everyone assumes it's a .com.

That heavily depends on the country. In .de nobody, or at least not the majority, would assume a .com is the standard-TLD. And I guess it's the same for many other European countries. Most spam mails come with a .com and I guess most people either identify potential scum with it here or generally foreign content which they don't want.

• @skagerrak said:
    That heavily depends on the country. In .de nobody, or at least not the majority, would assume a .com is the standard-TLD. And I guess it's the same for many other European countries. Most spam mails come with a .com and I guess most people either identify potential scum with it here or generally foreign content which they don't want.

Yes, I've heard that in some countries the cctld takes precedence. UK residents assume it's a .co.uk. However you must agree no one assumes it's a .io or a .me? If you are targeting traffic from a particular country then the cctld of that country gives you more options. But if you are targeting Americans or the whole planet then nothing beats a .com.

• @Abdussamad said:
    Yes, I've heard that in some countries the cctld takes precedence. UK residents assume it's a .co.uk. However you must agree no one assumes it's a .io or a .me?

I doubt that really that much people "guess" domains by randomly typing a name and for whatever reason adding .com assuming they'll reach what they intended. They'll most likely use a searchengine. Especially since most browsers --if not all-- will query google/bing directly when entering a name into the address-bar without and TLD.

In the end the TLD itself has lost much influence in the real world. Nobody really types in domains+TLDs anymore. People follow links from Twitter, Facebook, Whatsapp or random Apps and click within web-sites.

That's also the reason why ICANN can throw out hundreds of new TLDs, simply because TLD can now be used to sort content easier and be completely independent from geographical or political pecularities. TLDs are just ressource locators and it's a good thing people forget about them. We also forgot about the ressource locators on our local file-system. Nobody using a GUI starts Firefox by typing in the link to the executable binary in the shell.

• skagerrak said:

In the end the TLD itself has lost much influence in the real world. Nobody really types in domains+TLDs anymore. People follow links from Twitter, Facebook, Whatsapp or random Apps and click within web-sites.

I disagree with this. Typing in the URL is still the fastest way to get to a site short of bookmarking it. Also certain types of sites get popular from word of mouth. How do you think people are going to visit the site now? Via the domain name of course.

If domain names didn't matter we'd just get rid of them completely. Revert to IP addresses and save DNS lookup times.

• skagerrakskagerrak Member
    edited January 2014

@Abdussamad said:
    Typing in the URL is still the fastest way to get to a site short of bookmarking it. Also certain types of sites get popular from word of mouth.

That is only partly valid if you know the domain+TLD. And if you know the domain+TLD there is no need to be typing it in every time since you can simply bookmark it. It even secures you from typos and resulting scam.

You are, however, right that certain domains might be traded from mouth to mouth. But then the domain+TLD itself is completely irrelevant. The new TLDs make it even easier to share domains via a mouth-to-mouth propaganda as most easy to remember domaisn are already registered within the old gTLDs.

For example: let's take prgmr.com. It clearly is a name-play domain because --obviously-- programmer.com would be taken. How do you share that via mouth-to-mouth propaganda? You would have to tell a full story how the other person could remember that. It would --however-- be easier to tell programmer.io or programmer.me or programmer.vps. Or you could simply share a link or a business-card. And if you do that the domain could even be i.am.the.ultimate.programmer.on.1st.earth.link. If you share a business-card People would just type that in one time and bookmark it. And if you share a link they even just need to click on it. Or you tell them to use google and query "programmer vps xen". And typing in that domain always involves thinking to leave out the vowels but also not type in all "r" plus a .com. That should be far more time-consuming that clicking on a bookmark.

@Abdussamad said:
    If domain names didn't matter we'd just get rid of them completely. Revert to IP addresses and save DNS lookup times.

Yes we could, if everything/-body would support/use IPv6 already. The situation is comparable to the Phone-Number. Who really memorises phone-numbers? Most people type a phone-number one time and then save the contact. In the 90ies suddenly vanity-numbers popped up, like: 0700-CALLMENOW (ie. in .de). Many people registered one and after a few years nobody makes use of them anymore because the usage-scenario got lost. And besides private user who have their contact-list on their smartphone, business phones are connected to Exchange. At least every sane business manages their contact using Exchange and thus you don't type phone-numbers anymore --except for the case where you need to make a first call of course.