Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are you getting so many VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why are you getting so many VPS?

OneTwoOneTwo Member
edited March 2012 in General

Why many guys here get many VPS servers that they clearly don't need and they left them empty doing nothing? What's the thinking behind that?

Comments

• AsimAsim Member

Dry out the IPv4 pool, just kidding

well there are offers and there are too-good-to-be-true offers from LEB market, many people want to stick to their needs = vps (like me) but some want to HAVE an idle VPS rather then waiting for a pony to restock (Re @Francisco / BuyVM) so it depends

Some people here are collectors and they collect just about anything thats related to Internet :D (domains, hostings, vps, dedis, usernames, free email accounts )

Thanked by 1Liam
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Some people actually do have uses for 'em, most of my VPS's have a use minus one or two. After all you can sell them off and it's better to have an idle VPS than need one and you can't get it because the provider is out of stock in my opinion.

Thanked by 1Liam
  • blackblack Member

Sometimes, it's too cheap not to buy :\

• just to show off..maybe...=)

Thanked by 1Asim
  • i personally have 20+, i could probably just go dedicated with the price im paying every month but i like to have alot of vps with different specs. They are like women.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@cosmicgate said: They are like women.

Sorry, but no technology will ever replace tits... maybe just battlefield 3

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2012

Something deep inside me tell me to do that.

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • fanfan Veteran

I started to find a VPS to unblock the national firewall, then it became an addiction. I'm trying hard to get rid of that, but, that's hard.

• JacobJacob Member

I only buy something when there is a purpose, No need to spend money on unneccessary things.

I suppose people do it as a hobby, Or because they have nothing better to do. :-)

Thanked by 1OneTwo
  • @Jacob said: I suppose people do it as a hobby, Or because they have nothing better to do. :-)

I agree with first part (hobby -> often one from many) but not with second - people usually do a lot of things in life, as example there's need to earn money for vps "collection" :)

I couls second the thinking of "later use". Some time, I needed a cheap VPS, but the only good ones were BuyVM and they were out of stock. So, I have 1 extra from them just in case. $15 a year? Come on, I surely waste much more in a dinner nowadays.

• I usually end up buying too many yearly or quarterly deals and then while locked into these deals, new irresistible deals show up (like company launch deals that will likely never come up again - or a company that I regretted cancelling offering an amazing deal) so I have to get them too.

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

One very interesting use is the following: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/381/vps-load-balancing-over-the-internet

For a few pounds people can actually make quite a complicated, redundant setup!

• yeah for the 10hits/day sites everybody here has.

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • But them 10 hits/day are IMPORTANT and they're going to be up to accept them!

• GaryGary Member

VPSes are useful for way more than hosting sites.

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited March 2012

@OneTwo said: yeah for the 10hits/day sites everybody here has.

Some of us run popular hair salon websites :3

Thanked by 2netomx NanoG6
  • quirkyquarkquirkyquark Member
    edited March 2012

@OneTwo said: Why many guys here get many VPS servers that they clearly don't need and they left them empty doing nothing? What's the thinking behind that?

....it's like crack ;)

• I don't have a lot, only 5 at present. Buying is the only real way of evaluating a service and a provider. Sure there are reviews and other users' comments, but at the end of the day it's personal experience that matters.

Often, the service turns out to be sub-standard and not really useful. In which case I cancel after two or three months. Yes, it's a small amount of money burnt, but at least it adds to my signs-of-a-crappy-provider knowledgebase :)

Other times I discover a 'keeper' -- a responsible company providing a reliable service. Three of my five LEB's are in regular production use for web, mail & dns services and are perfect for what they do.

• NickMNickM Member

I try to always have one or two spare VPSes so that I can test stuff out - different distros, different configurations, etc. Of my current VPSes (I think I have 11?), only one of them is currently unused. The rest have websites or other services on them.

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited March 2012

@sleddog said: Buying is the only real way of evaluating a service and a provider. Sure there are reviews and other users' comments, but at the end of the day it's personal experience that matters.

Exactly. I don't really see why BuyVM has so many fans, as they don't have the best performance out of similarly priced LEB hosts. I had better PHP generation times (for a MyBB forum) on a HostRail $1.05/month VPS than 3 different BuyVM VPSs.

• @dmmcintyre3 said: Exactly. I don't really see why BuyVM has so many fans, as they don't have the best performance out of similarly priced LEB hosts. I had better PHP generation times (for a MyBB forum) on a HostRail $1.05/month VPS than 3 different BuyVM VPSs.

You better watch out. This is basically a BuyVM forum now. You gonna get raped.

• AsimAsim Member

@subigo said: You better watch out. This is basically a BuyVM forum now. You gonna get raped.

OFFTOPIC: Its not a BuyVM forum, its a community forum where I, for example, have came up with my problems regarding dedicated servers and people here have helped me resolve it

Thanked by 1Mon5t3r
  • @dmmcintyre3 said: I had better PHP generation times (for a MyBB forum) on a HostRail $1.05/month VPS

I'm not sure weather to descend to comment on this statement or not

• AsimAsim Member

@Gary said: VPSes are useful for way more than hosting sites.

Exactly, +1

@subigo said: You better watch out. This is basically a BuyVM forum now. You gonna get raped.

Don't think so. Everyone can have their own opinion, except Naruto, you know ;)

• @dmmcintyre3 said: I don't really see why BuyVM has so many fans...

Business is marketing. And BuyVM does it very well, better than most -- if not all -- hosts here. They do it in large measure by sharing expertise. In amongst the pony poop there's lot's of really good & informative posts.

Nothing should stop other hosts from contributing in the same manner.

I'm not a BuyVM client, and I've got into into cussing matches with them here in the past over the same issue. But Behold! The new & enlightened sleddog.

• vedranvedran Veteran
    edited March 2012

I have only 7 ...

@OneTwo said: What's the thinking behind that?

Who said there is any thinking behind it? Have you ever bought something you knew you'd probably hardly use and you don't really need it, but it was there, it was nice and it was cheap so why not? I do that all the time

• flyfly Member
    edited March 2012

buyvm is really good at hyping their products. I mean, their stuff is pretty darn good, definitely one of the best. But IMO it's not ridiculously amazing to the point of people staying up all night to buy en masse.

With that being said, I have a few buyvm's, kvm and ovz. I'm having some issues on with disk write on freebsd with IDE but francisco + co seem to be eager to help out.

+1