Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Choosing between Prometeus, BudgetVM, Iterserer
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Choosing between Prometeus, BudgetVM, Iterserer

Hey Folks, I'm new to the VPS world, and bit surprised at what seems to be a fairly shady underbelly to the web hosting world. So, after hours of poking around here and and elsewhere, the three companies named in the title are the ones I've found that seem both reputable & not liable to disappear in the next year or two, while still offering good prices for my needs:

XEN or KVM, 2GB Ram, 1 or 2 cores, 50GB storage, negligible bandwidth-- mostly be used for remote desktop, all non-commercial, so I doubt much more than 100GB/month especially after initial setup. I don't need anything managed, just the ability to respawn/refresh the instance at will with little hassle and no need to enter a ticket to do so.

Given my username, which is what I have tended to use for years, I have a natural affinity for prometeus but I'm really unsure. Did I miss a major provider of decent VPS? WIth respect to providers here, if you haven't been around for more than 2 or 3 years, its difficult to trust that you'll still be here n a few months given the history I've seen. Thanks for your thoughts

Comments

• Prometeus.

Thanked by 2Maounique Asim
  • +1 for Prometeus. Have used them for 1.5 years now, and they are really the best host i have ever used. (and I have used webhosting for around 15 years now)

Maybe take a look at iwStack.com, it's Prometeus cloud service. It has lots of features that you never get on a normal VPS server.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • LESLES Member

Prometeus or just wait for the end of 2013 Q4 - Top Provider Poll (deadline for voting on Sunday, January 12 at midnight UTC!)

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • Prometeus ftw.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Does the location matter?

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • The new top providers poll should be completed and posted in the near future which usually includes some deals. Might be worth the wait.

Going back to your list I like Prometeus.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • +1 Prometeus, unless you need some specific location which they don't offer.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

+1 Prometeus

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • +1 Prometeus i got so much review and i know well someone go with them for more than a year @erawanarifnugroho they got very TOP services

• no option Prometeus no1+++

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • For aff, go budgetvm. for anything else, Prometeus for sure.

• Whatever you do, stay far, far away from BudgetVM.

Thanked by 1bizzard
  • wow, I didn't expect prometeus to get such overwhelming support. Is there a major, long-term, reputable, & comparably priced provider that I missed?

Location preference would be USA, east coast, which was a big draw in looking at Interserver. Prometeus has Dallas, which should be good enough from the speed tests I've done.

My usage scenario is just to nest VMs with either VMware workstation, Xen, or ESXi, all of which should be doable in a KVM. I've got a decent setup on Digital Ocean starter credit testing VMware workstation right now. DO's 1024MB instance w/ debian runs a single VM with up to 512MB assigned quite well, but I need more RAM to run at least two machines, or 1 machine and a light mysql setup, without running into resource bottlenecks... Workstation adds about 256mb of overhead by itself, even in headless mode.

I don't think ESXi is any better from spinning up the free version in a local VM, but the advantage there is that its free: I'm in trial mode on Workstation while I test.

From what I've read, Xen should nest just as well, but VMware has a free web client in the form of WSX that will work with either WS or ESXi, not sure about Xen, and I haven't full tested a nest of it inside a KVM instance. Anyway, thanks for your advice... I'll go look a little harder at the prometeus options (I like their iwstack flexibility, although 0.15/GB/Month for storage is high for non-SSD. I also don't need the 4 vCPU given in the 2GB range. Can anyone tell me if you can opt for fewer cores?

• @petris said:
    Whatever you do, stay far, far away from BudgetVM.

Why? I've had a great time with them when i had a VPS for some gameservers there.

• I never use Prometeus's service, but if @erawanarifnugroho said it's good, then it's good.

I have used BudgetVM before, they are good. I had only one bad experience when one of their server crash, my VPS was deleted, but they replaced it with a new container within hours and gave me a free month credit. So, no big deal they are good.

• I have some good memories with BudgetVM, but I do recommend Prometeus over BudgetVM. If you have spare time and cash try all and figure by yourself. :)

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • @joodle said:
    Why? I've had a great time with them when i had a VPS for some gameservers there.

You probably have very (very) low bandwidth utilization. I continually had connectivity issues (i.e., temporary nullrouted) when monitoring them via Nagios with 10 pings every minute. Additionally, when I decided to move off of them, I continually got nullrouted trying to move 16gb of data off of them to RamNode. I ended up having to use IPv6 to transfer my data off as they apparently didn't have the same restrictions over IPv6.

Additionally support is horrid. When I was having these connectivity issues, support played dumb and was having me run MTRs. Nothing was ever resolved because I couldn't catch the issue in action. Once I made the decision to move my data off of them, I started transferring ~16GB of data off of them to RamNode. During this process my IP addresses was continually nullrouted after transferring 1-2GB off. I ended up having to use IPv6 to transfer my data off of them as they apparently didn't have the same restrictions on IPv6 at the time. At that point I didn't see a point in running an MTR and contacting support as I had already made the decision to move.

Note that I never once received an email from them saying that my IP was nullrouted, that I was abusing their network, etc., and support apparently has no idea about whatever system is in place either as they had no clue.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

My 2 vps that have more than >150 days uptime are CVPS and Prometeus

• petris said: You probably have very (very) low bandwidth utilization

Nah, I used around 2TB each month on their 1GB plan, never had any problems

• @vRozenSch00n said:
    I never use Prometeus's service, but if erawanarifnugroho said it's good, then it's good.

:D Thanks for tagging me. +1 for Prometeus, I've been a customer for more than a years, and always having a great experience with them :)

We can choose between XenPower, Xen Biz, or iwstack. If you want more plans, try to visit lowendcrap.com

• Obviously Prometeus

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • +1 for Prometeus too ! I had a VPS with them, very good service !

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • Prometeus, obviously, great service and great hardware

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • +1 for Prometeus Best in Europe

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • Prometeus. Period.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • How is prometeus's affiliate/partner iperweb? Are they similarly steady in terms of quality and stability?

• @promethean said:
    How is prometeus's affiliate/partner iperweb? Are they similarly steady in terms of quality and stability?

I have used iperweb for over a year, for a backup plan (400GB) and you are hosted on the same hardware in Italy as with Prometeus. (or iwStack). But I think they are more strict with what you are using the server for with Prometeus.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • +1 Prometeus and if you can do that via some iwStack goodness, then all the better!

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

Thanks guys for recommending us :-)

@promethean for freedom I'd say iwStack should be your best option, however it's not available in USA for now. In USA (Dallas) we can offer you xen ssd
    http://lowendcrap.com/offers-and-coupons/post/40-off-dallas-xen-1g-special-e-534-696-month

and in a week or two we should have more xen plans ;-)

• +1 Prometeus

Thanked by 1Maounique