Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are there any reviews of the Swiftway cloud and storage plans? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are there any reviews of the Swiftway cloud and storage plans?

2»

Comments

• @enrique750 it is likely that your account received a penalty for doing too frequent DD tests. We had a few accounts that did DD tests continuously. The penalty should expire over time. We do not have any customers that report any performance issues at this time, besides the accounts that received penalties for too frequent testing of disk speeds.

• @swiftway, when I make a DD test I write only 64MB, and I do at most 2 a week. Can my account have penalty writing 128 MB/week?

I opened a ticket a few weeks ago and they told me that the expected disk I/O is 12MB/seg, and I can not expect more than that.

• @enrique750 to be fair, the guaranteed speed of the network transmission is 100 Mbps and that translates into 12.5 Mbyte/s
    That said, real world experience seems to be between 350 Mbps and 750 Mbps of traffic transfer and disk read/write speed on the SWC platform.
    Accounts that I/O burst a lot (beyond fair usage) get a penalty that diminishes with time, Currently there are two accounts with such a penalty(there used to be several more, some of them identified doing continuous DD tests 24x7) and there Are three tickets made in the last 8 weeks where users report a disk transfer rate that is below expectations.

• @swiftway, I know that the internet speed is 100Mbits, but that should not be the same as the disk speed. For example, I think I could not run a Windows OS (it sometimes uses swap, and that speed is very low). And when I need to install something in my os (yum install something) I notice it is slow.

Also, there are several backup programs that scan the file to create the checksum before deciding to transfer file, and also if you need to compress/decompress files before transmiting it is disk speed, not internet speed.

At this moment, I have no problem with that disk speed, as I use it very little, but a initial backup or if I need to restore many files I know it can be a problem.

Can I know if my account has any penalty?

• @enrique750 It looks to me like your account has a penalty. Are you doing DD actions a lot? do you use a lot of I/O during compression/decompression?
    We will keep an eye on this, thank you for reporting it.

• @swiftway, I do not do a lot of dd. Maybe two a week, but very few MB, only 64MB written each time.

But, I use crashplan to make a backup, and I make a incremental backup once a day. The source data is about 8GB and my backup archive has 26GB. I think that it is not so much.

I will leave a iostat redirected to a file to check if I make many disk io.

I will also send you a PM with my vps data to check if my account has a penalty.

Thanks

• @swiftway, can I know if I have a penalty? I have 2 days of statistics with very little io, and I have just done a DD and this is what I get:

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=4000 conv=fdatasync
    4000+0 records in
    4000+0 records out
    262144000 bytes (262 MB) copied, 41.4703 s, 6.3 MB/s

• Please do not send me a PM, best is to open a support ticket on the platform. I do not work in the developer or support team and will be unable to assist you in troubleshooting this problem.
    You are the only person reporting this type of problems, so i assume it may have to do something with your account, i do not know for certain.

• I will do that again, but it seems that the support does not solve me anything. They tried to convince me that 12MB/seg is enough speed.

In this forum I see that other people get good performance.

• PatsPats Member
    edited February 2014

JTR said: My only minor gripe is that adding credit has to be done manually. Automated payments or some sort of reminder when account funds fall below a single month's cost would be awesome.

@Swiftway This is the worst thing in Swiftway storage plans .. if ur away(holiday or smth) on the time of Renewal and ur balance drops to 0 then hell breaks loose... because u loose everything... ur backups.. ur plan.. everything gone in thin air..

• @Pats said:
    Swiftway This is the worst thing in Swiftway storage plans .. if ur away(holiday or smth) on the time of Renewal and ur balance drops to 0 then hell breaks loose... because u loose everything... ur backups.. ur plan.. everything gone in thin air..

It is a prepaid platform, you need to ensure there is enough credit in your wallet to keep the instances going. We do send reminders when the amount falls under a certain level, it is up to the user to ensure there is enough credit in the wallet to keep the instances online.

• PatsPats Member
    edited February 2014

yes, i know its prepaid platform and thats what the ugliness it does cause that i want to warn...

if u miss to top-up.. its not that things are suspended, but all is Terminated and ur like a new customer to www.swiftwaycloud.com

And thats why i'd more than agree with...

ironhide said: I think @Serverian's $7/mo 500GB Backupsy plan is reliable and better :)

• @Swiftway said:
    It is a prepaid platform, you need to ensure there is enough credit in your wallet to keep the instances going. We do send reminders when the amount falls under a certain level, it is up to the user to ensure there is enough credit in the wallet to keep the instances online.

What is the grace period if your credit runs out?