Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are there any reviews of the Swiftway cloud and storage plans?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are there any reviews of the Swiftway cloud and storage plans?

rchurchrchurch Member
edited January 2014 in Providers

Does anyone have recent experience of the Swiftway cloud and storage plans?

They were doing some beta testing some time ago and I haven't heard much about them since.

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/12828/swiftway-1gb-ram-kvm-500gb-hdd-for-5/p5

Comments

• I think @Serverian's $7/mo 500GB Backupsy plan is reliable and better :)

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2014

@ironhide so what's your recent experience of the Swiftway cloud and storage plans then?

@rchurch when they started with this "beta testing" some things didn't look so well, control panel was very limited but they develop it damn fast, most features people wanted are already implemented and I actually like this box.

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • Spirit said: so what's your recent experience of the Swiftway cloud and storage plans then?

None, I haven't used them. But I used backupsy so it was just a suggestion. Nothing concrete.

• joereidjoereid Member
    edited January 2014

I have their $5/m 1gb/500gb kvm promo from back in october. It's been great surprisingly. Very stable, fast upload and download, and fast disk io (like 500mb/s+). Their support can be iffy sometimes, but I've only opened like 2 tickets.

I had some runaway process that went nuts and was using like 100% cpu for quite a while. They didn't suspend or even email. I found it myself. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing....

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • @joereid said:
    I have their $5/m 1gb/500gb kvm promo from back in october. It's been great surprisingly. Very stable, fast upload and download, and fast disk is (like 500mb/s+). Their support can be iffy sometimes, but I've only opened like 2 tickets.

I had some runaway process that went nuts and was using like 100% cpu for quite a while. They didn't suspend or even email. I found it myself. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing....

what's the price now for the new storage plans? I remember they said they were not "lowend".

• @kyaky said:
    what's the price now for the new storage plans? I remember they said they were not "lowend".

https://www.swiftwaycloud.com/

Thanked by 2kyaky ironhide
  • kyakykyaky Member
    edited January 2014

@Spirit said:

oh well, looks affordable. will give a try to see if they have improved their customer servicing. Thanks for the link.

• The $5 box from the beta testing is exceptionally stable for backup purpose. DD is always around 150 MB/s. Never need to contact them for support.

• All the plans on the page appear to be billed monthly, rather than than the hourly I expect. If you stop VMs or reduce your storage are your charges stopped or reduced accordingly?

• You can watch your wallet balance goes down by the hour and they'll email when the balance gets low.

If you stop your vm there is still storage dedicated to you with your files on it, why wouldn't they keep charging you?

• joereid said: You can watch your wallet balance goes down by the hour and they'll email when the balance gets low.

If you stop your vm there is still storage dedicated to you with your files on it, why wouldn't they keep charging you?

What I mean is if I order a plan, use it for a week and terminate it, do I keep the balance to use it when I need it, or does it run out at the end of the month?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2014

@rchurch said:
    All the plans on the page appear to be billed monthly, rather than than the hourly I expect. If you stop VMs or reduce your storage are your charges stopped or reduced accordingly?

@joereid said:

There is option to create snapshot ($0.003/per hours fee) and destroy instance to stop billing.
    (but not recommended if you're using old $5 promo package of course because you won't be able to recreate new one)

IF you are using this action for VPS INSTANCE:
    After cancellation the VPS will not be renewed for the next billing cycle, however the payment for this month will NOT BE REFUNDED to your wallet and the paid credit is lost and unrecoverable.

IF you are using this action for CLOUD INSTANCE:
    After the operation you will be no longer charged for this instance.

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • The only option currently active on www.swiftwaycloud.com is the storage cloud. Do I retain a balance on that one if I terminate or downgrade it part way, like with Digital Ocean?

• Maybe good to know!
    SwiftwayCloud went in the Open Beta Phase: So you can signup now for an account on the website.

• @Swiftway said:
    Maybe good to know!
    SwiftwayCloud went in the Open Beta Phase: So you can signup now for an account on the website.

Where is the option for the Compute Cloud (or your brand name for it) at www.swiftwaycloud.com? Only the Storage Cloud option is enabled. HA Cloud, SSD Cloud and Storage VPS are not enabled.

• @rchurch said:
    Where is the option for the Compute Cloud (or your brand name for it) at www.swiftwaycloud.com? Only the Storage Cloud option is enabled. HA Cloud, SSD Cloud and Storage VPS are not enabled.

Maybe the official announcement explains it all.
    Swiftway Communications Inc., a company in the Swiftway group now went to the 3rd stage of its development of the Swiftwaycloud platform.

The 1st stage was the Prelaunch Test stage, with a group of customers testing the platform prelaunch.
    The second stage was the closed BETA, allowing invited clients to create accounts on the platform and today Swiftway Communications moved to the 3rd and final Beta stage before production launch: The Open Beta.

The SwiftwayCloud platform currently offers Storage Cloud instances (VPS) exclusively, billed per hour. We aim to add Standard Instances and SSD instances during the open Beta stage.

Special offer: Open an account during the Open Beta stage on the platform and receive 50% additional credit on top of the FIRST payment made on the platform. The maximum bonus credit is $100,-
    Special Terms: The first payment and the bonus credit cannot be refunded if you decide to close the account. The bonus credit can only be applied once per customer. This special offer is only valid for NEW accounts created during the open beta.
    How to apply for bonus credit? Once you made the first payment on the platform, send a ticket to the SwiftwayCloud billing team (in the panel) and request the bonus credit. We apply the bonus credit within 3 business days.

The current active packages are Storage Cloud/VPS packages.
    We aim to add SSD packages as well as Standard packages during the Open Beta stage allowing a wide selection of packages.

What functions can i expect to be active and working?

Configurable Security Groups (Firewall settings)
    Console access (KVM/IP)
    Mounting an ISO (ISO's are uploaded to the platform by our support)
    Install or reinstall from template (see below a list of currently supported OS in the template system).
    You can create new instances in The Netherlands or Chicago
    Snapshots can be made of the Instances
    Snapshots can be used as installation templates
    Instances can be rebooted, Power on or Off.
    Resize an Instance to another plan
    Set your own rDNS
    The platform offers full DNS service for customers.

OS currently supported by the Template system, more are to be added progressively.

CentOS 6.4 x32
    FreeBSD 9.2 x64
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x64
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x32
    Debian 7.0 x64 Wheezy
    Debian 7.0 x32 Wheezy
    CentOS 6.4 x64

Features to be added during open BETA

Two way Authentification
    Move Snapshot to long term storage at reduced storage rates
    SSD Instance plans
    Standard Instance plans
    Customer Service rating System
    Disk I/O statistics
    Affiliate System
    Free Credit for Articles system
    Ipv6 support

Before you sign, please read the Terms of Services or download the Terms of Services by clicking this link
    Special OFFER Terms: The first payment and the bonus credit cannot be refunded if you decide to close the account. The bonus credit can only be applied once per customer. This special offer is only valid for NEW accounts created during the open beta.

How to Signup?

Go to http://www.swiftwaycloud.com
    On top there is a "Create an account, its faster then you think"
    Insert your VALID Email in Box 1 (important to use a valid email account, else you will not receive login details to instances).
    Insert the password you like to use
    You now have an account and can login to the SwiftwayCloud panel.

This offer is valid until the Open Beta stage has moved to the production stage.
    Thank you for signing up, feedback on the platform is appreciated and will be used in further development considerations.

• @Swiftway said:

Is the bonus credit added automatically?

• @rmlhhd said:

How to apply for bonus credit? Once you made the first payment on the platform, send a ticket to the SwiftwayCloud billing team (in the panel) and request the bonus credit. We apply the bonus credit within 3 business days.

Thanked by 1rmlhhd
  • @myhken said:

Thanks, must have missed that bit.

• JTRJTR Member

I have one of the $5/500GB servers from the testing phase. Performance has been great, the panel is pretty good (although it looks like I can't edit firewall rules without destroying the instance?), and overall I'm quite satisfied.

My only minor gripe is that adding credit has to be done manually. Automated payments or some sort of reminder when account funds fall below a single month's cost would be awesome.

• @JTR thank you for the feedback, i will pass it to the developers.

• I've been with the 5$ 500 GB beta plan on Swiftway and frankly the performance is simply stellar. Network always fast, machine very responsive and good disk speeds. I've only good things to say about this aspect.

I did run into some issues when it was setup(it was a beta after all) and had to make some tickets to resolve them and again I have only praise for their support. The response time was pretty fast and the issues were fixed in a timely manner.

I did not expect it to be that good when I signed up. I have had about 6 different low end VPS in the past and although some of them were definitely functionnal, they just aren't in the same league as this.

Disclaimer: This comment only represents my experience and as usual YMMV.

• @swiftway, I am getting disk speeds between 5MB/seg and 20MB/seg with DD. Is that normal?
    I am reading here that people gets 150MB/seg ¿?

• That is my only concern, the disk speed. It is stable and network fast.

• kyakykyaky Member
    edited January 2014

is the their website still alive? I can't access. looks like it has been down for more than 10 hours.

• ok, should be .net not .com

• fanfan Veteran
    edited January 2014

@enrique750 said:
    swiftway, I am getting disk speeds between 5MB/seg and 20MB/seg with DD. Is that normal?
    I am reading here that people gets 150MB/seg ¿?

Is it Chicago?

• @fan said:
    Is it Chicago?

No, it is in Netherlands. I have created another in Chicago to test it and I get from 40 to 70MB/sec

• @Kyaki its http://www.swiftwaycloud.com you should look at.
    @enrique750 Your instance may have got penalties for doing too much burst I/O it happens primarily with frequent DD tests, almost never with "normal" usage.

• @swiftway, I run once (or twice) small dd test (64MB each) just to test it. It always gives speeds from 5MB/seg to 20 MB/seg.
    If I create a new instance, it has the same performance. I created one two days ago to do some testing and it has the same performance.
    What should be the expected performance? I will open a support ticket if it is below the expected one.