Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could bluevm become like uptimevps?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Could bluevm become like uptimevps?

Go59954Go59954 Member
edited March 2012 in General

Well I had that thought before. The service is really excellent for the price.

But now they did a soft transition into yearly/half yearly plans, could it be a second UpTimeVps?!

Comments

• Only time can tell.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • vedranvedran Veteran

@Go59954 said: But now they did a soft transition into yearly/half yearly plans

What do you mean? Their plans look exactly as before to me, am I missing something?

• Yearly could also mean they feel more comfortable.

Give em a break

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited March 2012

They have been too good so far, really good that i'm fan of them :)

@vedran said: What do you mean? Their plans look exactly as before to me, am I missing something?

Yeah they're I meant todays offer at LET which is more towards yearly plans, KVM1 becomes $15/year that's why I'm curious if I can rest assured I that will get service for a year.

• vedranvedran Veteran
    edited March 2012

@Go59954 said: if I can rest assured I that will get service for a year.

If they say they'll be here in a year would that be enough to assure you? That's basically the only assurance you can get for them or any other host here. Yes, any!

• @Go59954 said: Yeah they're I meant todays offer at LET which is more towards yearly plans, KVM1 becomes $15/year

It's also available at $1.99/month. What's the issue?

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited March 2012

When we opened the plan people asked if there were monthly options... which there weren't. I typically assume if it's under $10 for 1/2 a year that people would go with that over monthly. Anyway lesson learned: As sleddog said KVM1 is now $1.99 /Mo. as well as $9.50 Semi-Annually.

As for feeling more confident... I'd have to say yes considering in 4 months we've gone from being the "absolutely gonna deadpool" provider in everyone's eyes to the "they're a decent provider" in most people's eyes... still got a long way to go and I hope to keep expanding as we are now.

Thanked by 1Go59954
  • @DotVPS this isn't LowEndTradeSecrets.

• /close

Thanked by 1yomero
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Naruto no reason industry types can't chatter here.

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited March 2012

@DotVPS said: How are you offering such cheap prices when renting hardware?

Great question: Have you ever pieced together a computer by waiting for manufacturers to have a sale because they have too much stock of something? We do exactly that, except we piece together server deals when datacenters have too much available hardware and no one willing to use it. We offer to use their hardware for a fee and pay collocation. Thus they're able to fill up excess hardware and we're able to get servers for $25 - $35 over collocation fees.

The great thing is you have to know people who work in the datacenters for you to be able to do it... which most people don't. :)

There's my trade secret, whats yours :)

Thanked by 1Go59954
  • @BlueVM said: Great question: Have you ever pieced together a computer by waiting for manufacturers to have a sale because they have too much stock of something? We do exactly that, except we piece together server deals when datacenters have too much available hardware and no one willing to use it. We offer to use their hardware for a fee and pay collocation. Thus they're able to fill up excess hardware and we're able to get servers for $25 - $35 over collocation fees.

That's genius.

• Ask details to any provider here on how exactly they make a profit and they won't give you the details. I wouldn't either. Some won't even disclose how much they make.

• @TheHackBox said: That's genius.

Yeah, only problem is it takes a lot of time so eventually it'd be easier to buy the hardware than to finagle a deal out of a datacenter and of course then you own it. So that's what we'll probably start doing toward the end of this year.

• If you mean his license isn't nulled then it's WAI.

Thanked by 1BlueVM
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

It's trivial to calculate the P&L of most providers here:

• The revenue is nearly public knowledge (many providers have stated how many nodes they have, or have info on their status pages, and from that you can often figure out how they're stacking the nodes from their hosting plans and typical industry loads)
    • the hardware quite guessable (many will state they kind they use, the costs aren't hard to figure out)
    • the datacenter/network costs very common.

It varies from provider to provider but this industry has few "trade secrets".

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited March 2012

@Naruto said: If you mean his license isn't nulled then it's WAI.

My cpanel license isn't nulled either, neither is my DA or my solusVM... its weird I know :) - We donate $5 per node to hypervm monthly just to keep it fair and thank them.

• NarutoNaruto Member
    edited March 2012

If you donated $5 per node each month to me I'd quit LET.

WAI = Working As Intended

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited March 2012

Web Accessible Interface - He meant, jokingly, that if my license isn't nulled then it's my server's fault for loading the website wrong.

@Naruto - If you only knew how many nodes we had :P

• JacobJacob Member

Coloing is not easier, I have yet to get a full set of replacement parts. Just hoping a PSU does not fail untill I drop the next colo server off.

• @Naruto said: If you donated $5 per node each month to me I'd quit LET.

We should have a whip round

• On the bright side I just renewed bluevm.com for another 2 years :)

• What's the problem with paying USD15/year for a kvm 128mb vps? I think bluevm is doing a great job for the LEB community. The problem lies in the LEB community itself, you guys are fucking spoilt. I'm not sure why would people choose to pay monthly when it is only a 128mb VPS at < 1.50 dollar when you can have the whole year at USD15. What more do you ask for? If you're saying you "wanna test it out before committing to the service",are you fucking kidding me ?

FOR USD 15/12 months and you still want to go monthly, i can only think of that you are just buying a VPS to "test" if it is okay to run illegal stuffs on it.

Thanked by 2Legendlink onepound
  • CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2012

Cosmic,

The problem is there are far too many VPS providers that offer a service then disappear. If you have to pay for 3 VPS over the course of 12 months, because the providers shutdown that'd be $45 instead of maybe loosing one months fees.

That being said BlueVM looks like an honest company. People just need to get better at selecting hosts or seeing warning signs.

• @cosmicgate said: i can only think of that you are just buying a VPS to "test" if it is okay to run illegal stuffs on it.

I don't think it is so much to run illegal stuff, as I saw in the past whe nI offered 128's monthly, they churn is so high, it just became a revolving door when I would see clients buy for 1 month, be gone 20 days then repurchase, when I started to see that habit, I put an end to cheap monthly 128's.

• @miTgiB - We have a cancellation policy... if you put in a cancellation request on or before your due date we allow you to purchase another VPS. If your account has to be terminated multiple times we close it and block the IP. No point in holding space for someone who can't hit the cancel button.

• @BlueVM said: We have a cancellation policy...

That does absolutely no good to the churn I just explained.

• @miTgiB - We have a black list of about 400 IPs that can't order anymore :P... maybe we're doing something wrong. LOL - Oh well the profit says we're fine. Gotta go scavenge up some more servers as we're running low on KVM.

• 400 ip's...that's a lot....and only a small portion of client registered(then barred)...wonder how much active clients are....=)